Decorating Your Cap and Gown.

RedPotato

I am about to graduate from undergrad in a few days and I want to decorate my cap and gown. I've been scouring the internet for ideas, but found nothing. The only stipulation is that whatever I do needs to be removable, or done on a piece of cardboard that I can take off, if the administrators ask me to remove the embellishments.

Also, I am a studio art major, so creating something should be (kinda) easy. I just need ideas, please. :P

Ha! I'm far from an arts major but after all I went through to get here I decided to decorate mine as well.

I went for a look I'm calling Glam Grad. It's essentially a kaleidoscope of rhinestones all over my entire mortar board. I couldn't figure out how best to trick my tassle but I would have LOVED a GaGa-esque stream of dangling stars.

I was inspired by what I really wanted to wear that day: a tiara.

My suggestion is a day trip to Micheal's or Hobby Lobby and something that means something to you.

Is there a crafts store you can check out for ideas? I went to one and basically wished I had ten caps for all the ideas I had....I finally settled on foam sea creatures and a rhinestone U with rhinestones on the edges, and people went out of their way to comment on it....the best ones at my ceremony was a Mickey Mouse hat (a la Disney), shot glasses, the U made with orange and green handprints....the possibilities really are endless. Have fun with it! I don't think there's a rule against it, if there is I'm sure you would've been told.

• 2 weeks later...

And the verdict was..... GLITTER!

I covered the whole top in my university's color. The lights reflected off the glitter and I could be seen around the whole arena, which worked great for friends and family trying to find me in a crowd of 4,000 graduates!