About submission of Masters transcript

Dear all...

I have received an admission offer with fund in the PhD program of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) for Fall 2010. Currently, I am doing my Masters in Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). My Masters thesis is almost complete and my thesis defense is going to take place in mid July, 2010. I have come to know, due to some procedural issues, the registrar office of my current university will take some time (it might take 3-4 months after thesis defense and they cannot make it faster due to some regulations) to issue the official transcript and certificate of Masters program. On the other hand, the offer letter which I received from UTSA says I must submit the official transcript and degree statement before PhD registration, otherwise holds will be placed on registration and the acceptance will become void!

Now, I am really very much worried about this issue. However, my MSc. thesis supervisor has assured me that he (or the Head of the Department or both) can issue a letter stating the completion of my thesis. I do not know whether they will accept these letters instead of the official transcript. However, I do have the official grade sheets of my completed coursework and registered credits for thesis work and I sent them earlier to UTSA. I have emailed to the professor of UTSA with whom I contacted earlier and waiting for her reply. I am really feeling helpless about the situation!

Has anyone faced such issues before? Can anyone come up with a suggestion about how to tackle this situation? Whom should I contact in UTSA about this matter?.....Please help!!

I would contact Admissions office and explain the situation. Tell them you can provide them with the previous transcript and the letter confirming the completion of your thesis and that you will have your final transcript sent to them as soon as it's ready. Ask them if it's possible for you to register conditionally (not sure if it can be done, but you don't lose anything by asking). I don't think you're the first person in this situation.

I really hope it all works well for you. Good luck!

I worked in a grad studies office for a while, and there were specific people whose entire jobs were sorting out issues like this for international students. I would send a very polite e-mail to the grad studies office at your PhD school--or whichever office will process your transcripts--and explain the situation. I'm sure they'll be able to sort something out. After all, this is not your fault, and they won't let a silly little thing like this keep you out of grad school.

If they need the official transcript, you might consider asking if they would defer your acceptance (and financial package) to the Spring in anticipation of receiving your finalized packet. I think this allows them to keep the funding for the following year and gives you a chance to get things done. If not Spring, perhaps they will defer to Fall 2011?