Deciding grad schools

Fully funded PhD Rice Statistics program (option to do joint Biostatistics training program with MD Anderson and Baylor College of Medicine) vs MS UPenn Biostatistics. UPenn is my dream school and I just don't want to leave the north east. MS and PhD students at UPenn share the same course work and MS can take qual exam. However, a spot in MS UPenn does not guarantee me an acceptance to PhD. I'm international. Should I follow my heart?

Depends on how much money matters to you. If money isn't a big issue UPenn would be good. I think you can get close to professors and if you do well, next year you will be able to get into a higher ranked program (even if its not Upenn). That said, Masters are expensive and debt in grad school would be rough.

As someone who had attended Penn before, I know there are some departments do not like to admit those from their own departments for further advanced degrees. I am unsure if this is true for biostats.