MPA at George Washington University vs. American University

lissyd73

Hello! I was recently accepted to both American and GWU and am having a hard time choosing between the two schools. I am starting my MPA this fall with the hopes of pursuing a career in the nonprofit sector. Does anyone have any advice on the two schools/programs? I know that GWU is ranked a bit more highly than AU, but in terms of the MPA programs, the two schools seem pretty even. I also know that GWU is right in the heart of DC whereas AU is more in the suburbs, but that isn't a huge factor to me. If anyone has any input or advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Count me in the "torn between GWU vs AU MPA" camp as well. AU is offering me merit aid ($3,500/semester) and I think their tuition is a little cheaper anyway, but I do prefer GWU's location and it seems like they might be a more prestigious name. In general, from an outsider's perspective, these programs seem really similar and I have no idea how to choose between them!! I'm planning on going to as many upcoming admitted students events as possible before April 15, but not really sure how I'll make this decision. 

On 3/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, evan_emmett said:

Count me in the "torn between GWU vs AU MPA" camp as well. AU is offering me merit aid ($3,500/semester) and I think their tuition is a little cheaper anyway, but I do prefer GWU's location and it seems like they might be a more prestigious name. In general, from an outsider's perspective, these programs seem really similar and I have no idea how to choose between them!! I'm planning on going to as many upcoming admitted students events as possible before April 15, but not really sure how I'll make this decision. 

I would say it depends on what you want to do. 

If you want to fight for competitive roles, going to the better connected branded school does help you a bit. 

If you want to go into stuff in which there is strong demand but low supply (i.e. transportation, health, infrastructure policy), it makes no difference.

I will tell you point blank in my experiences of engaging GWU Trach vs. AU SPA graduate students, GWU Trach students impressed me with their ambitions, range of knowledge, and simply interesting experiences. AU students did not. A lot of them even had conversations with me justifying why they chose AU (scholarship). I thought it was weird, but just saying. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

3 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

If you want to fight for competitive roles, going to the better connected branded school does help you a bit.

What would you be considering competitive roles?

Also, do you have any thoughts on which of these schools would be better for connections to jobs outside DC?

Just now, evan_emmett said:

What would you be considering competitive roles?

Also, do you have any thoughts on which of these schools would be better for connections to jobs outside DC?

By competitive roles I broadly mean role that have an extensive filtering process by the employer. So examples are

1. DOD McCain Fellowship https://www.whs.mil/McCain-Cohort1-Finalists/

2. Presidential Merit Fellowship (granted this is the one Area American does decently well, though not great given their student population size)

3. Tech company

4. Federal Consulting for a major consulting org that does Fed and recruits on campus (so basically MBB, Big 4, Accenture) 

5. Major urban area competitive fellowships like the Port Authority for NY/NJ 

6. Anything White House related 

7. Profession roles in Capital Hill (not to be confused with political roles which are essentially based off of who your family members play golf with)

8. Major Think Tanks and Research Centers

Hope you are getting the idea

As for going outside of DC, without question GWU. My friend moved from DC to Texas - people knew about GWU. Put it this way, GWU professors were testifying at Capital Hill about the impeachment (both times).