Assessment and advice for my next year's admission process (Clinical Psychology PhD)

guy248

Hello everyone,

Last time I wrote here it was to seek some advice regarding a major career shift and starting an education in Psychology. 8 months later, I can't be more happy with my decision. As I am a mature student, with relatively little points of reference or connections, I was hoping the kind user's of this form could assess my chances of getting accepted into a PhD program in Clinical Psychology (specializing in Neuropsychology) for next year and also offer my any advice on how to improve my application.  Here is an outline of the major criteria:

1. Schooling:

-BA (History)

-BFA (Music Performance)

-Also completed multiple undergraduate courses required for most PhD Clinical Psych programs

-GPA: 3.7 or higher (still pending)

-Currently studying and preparing for my GRE 

2.Work Experience: 

-Currently volunteering as a Crisis Responder for a mental health organization

-Working part-time as an English teacher. 

-Previous work experience as a full-time teacher, heading the Music and History departments of a high-school. 

3.Research Experience:

Completed undergraduate thesis for my BFA (Music)

-Undergraduate manuscript (Neuropsychology) currently under review for publication (Mindpab)

-Currently completing a course for training Research Coordinators (CRC Basic training, through NUCATS)

-Volunteer RA for a Neuroscience lab specializing in the treatment of the non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's Disease

-Volunteer RA for a Neuropsychology lab specializing in the assessment and treatment of head trauma in athletes

I think that about covers it. I am honestly terrified of next year's admission process, being a mature student with only so much free time means I've gone pedal to the metal these last few month's to try and cover all my bases. My ambition is to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs throughout the USA (I am a Canadian citizen), I have been narrowing down specific faculty and programs that suit my interests and current research experience. I am also doing my absolute best to accumulate as much research experience as possible, this has proven difficult being so far removed from my undergraduate days.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read through this and offer any advice/support they can. Thank you!

You have been a busy bee! 

As you noted, Clinical programs are notoriously competitive.  Continue to gain direct research experience the rest of this year, for sure.  However, I would challenge you to start working on your personal statements and such now. You are a non-traditional student, in more ways than age.  Since your psychology research experience is going to be limited compared to other applicants coming from undergrad or Masters programs, you need to make that work to your full advantage with an amazing essay that points out your life experiences as a benefit and not a hindrance. What from your experiences as a teacher, as a working professional, and as a crisis responder has motivated and prepared you for a life of research and clinical service? How can you tie it into your research fit? 

I was also a non-trad applicant, though not in Clinical. When she offered me the spot, my PI told me she was excited to work with someone who had real life experiences and fully fleshed out passions and motivations, as I had expressed them in my statements.  Like you said, not as much time, so we have to pour a lot into a little space, and we can't be wasting time with stuff that's only kind of interesting or kind of related :)

Do you have any posters or anything from the labs where you/are were an RA? Getting your name on a few posters/pubs will be important. I had a 1st author publication, 3 years in a lab, 2 posters, a BA and MA in psych, and a few years of real world clinical experience when applying to programs with strong research fits a few years ago, and I literally only got 1 interview (and subsequent offer). It is very competitive, and I had asked a few people for feedback when I wasn't granted interviews, and they all said I needed more research experience. The amount of research products people are coming in with nowadays is kind of insane. 

20 hours ago, SocDevMum said:

You have been a busy bee! 

As you noted, Clinical programs are notoriously competitive.  Continue to gain direct research experience the rest of this year, for sure.  However, I would challenge you to start working on your personal statements and such now. You are a non-traditional student, in more ways than age.  Since your psychology research experience is going to be limited compared to other applicants coming from undergrad or Masters programs, you need to make that work to your full advantage with an amazing essay that points out your life experiences as a benefit and not a hindrance. What from your experiences as a teacher, as a working professional, and as a crisis responder has motivated and prepared you for a life of research and clinical service? How can you tie it into your research fit? 

I was also a non-trad applicant, though not in Clinical. When she offered me the spot, my PI told me she was excited to work with someone who had real life experiences and fully fleshed out passions and motivations, as I had expressed them in my statements.  Like you said, not as much time, so we have to pour a lot into a little space, and we can't be wasting time with stuff that's only kind of interesting or kind of related :)

Thank you, this was very encouraging. I'll need to start thinking on how I can spin my work experience and other "non-traditional" aspects as a positive.

17 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Do you have any posters or anything from the labs where you/are were an RA? Getting your name on a few posters/pubs will be important. I had a 1st author publication, 3 years in a lab, 2 posters, a BA and MA in psych, and a few years of real world clinical experience when applying to programs with strong research fits a few years ago, and I literally only got 1 interview (and subsequent offer). It is very competitive, and I had asked a few people for feedback when I wasn't granted interviews, and they all said I needed more research experience. The amount of research products people are coming in with nowadays is kind of insane. 

Nothing yet. Just my 1 manuscript currently pending publication. I have reached out to both my labs asking for more work in line with posters/pubs, but nothing has really started yet.

What is mindpab? I am not sure what that is referring to r.e. the manuscript. 

I think getting that manuscript published would be great (assuming it's a good journal). Fingers crossed! Other then that, I think keep looking for different research opportunities and advocated for yourself in the labs to get on more neuropsych projects. Neuropsych, even more than general psych, is really competitive. Letters of rec from professors in neuropsychology are ideal, and be sure to be clear in your personal statement why you are a match at each lab and program. Circuitous (long) paths to clinical psych are not atypical, but I would try to make sure everything you've done up to this point has a clear thread and that you convey a clear trajectory for your research/career goals. 

On 3/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, Clinapp2017 said:

What is mindpab? I am not sure what that is referring to r.e. the manuscript. 

I think getting that manuscript published would be great (assuming it's a good journal). Fingers crossed! Other then that, I think keep looking for different research opportunities and advocated for yourself in the labs to get on more neuropsych projects. Neuropsych, even more than general psych, is really competitive. Letters of rec from professors in neuropsychology are ideal, and be sure to be clear in your personal statement why you are a match at each lab and program. Circuitous (long) paths to clinical psych are not atypical, but I would try to make sure everything you've done up to this point has a clear thread and that you convey a clear trajectory for your research/career goals. 

Thanks for the advice!

Mindpad is a publication meant for undergraduates or other non-graduate students. It's a part of the CPA Mind Pad – Student Publication – Canadian Psychological Association (cpa.ca)