Which soc classes to boost profile for next cycle?

Planted

Hey all! While I wait for a decision from my final outstanding program, I want to distract myself while also planning for the worst-case scenario! So, if I won't be enrolling in a program this year, I'd like to take one or two sociology courses while I prep for the next cycle. My goals in doing so are to:

• add some formal sociology coursework - I took 1 soc course in undergrad and 1 cross-listed course as part of my MS program, but neither were theory 
  • develop a sociological writing sample to use in apps
  • further define my research interests and potential grad projects
  • possibly get a recommendation letter from sociology faculty, although this seems like a big stretch unless I manage to take two in-person courses from the same professor before apps are due
  • ease the sting of not being able to start a program this year!

Does anyone have a suggestion for what types of courses I should choose? Should I go for theory or more "foundational" courses? Or fun electives aligned with my research or methods interests? Does the institution matter? I'd love to not spend a fortune out of pocket but if there's a meaningful return on the investment in terms, I'm open to paying more.

If this does not seem like a great use of my excess time and energy over the next 9 months - any other suggestions? Getting more research experience is also something I'm looking to do, paid or otherwise, but I don't want to bank on that as my only shot for boosting my profile for the next cycle. 

Thanks in advance! If anyone else is in the same position as me - drop your plans below to prep for the next cycle and let's help each other move forward! 

Edited by Ami

It sounds like you are not currently enrolled somewhere as a full-time student, but it's unclear. Broadly speaking, research experience is far more important than what courses you take. If you are enrolled somewhere, I would say it's best to take some form of research methods. Courses that provide some hard skills are the most helpful, and also often give you the opportunity to do some primary research. If you are not enrolled somewhere, I would say it is not worth it to spend money and time on courses.

I want to echo was xyz234 said. I had zero sociology courses when I applied and it worked out for me at a T20 program. Research is infinitely more important. That plus a strong writing sample is 100% where your energy should be.

@xyz234 @lkaitlyn Thank you both for the super fast reply! Sorry for being unclear and you are right that I am not currently enrolled anywhere. For my MS, I took stats, research methods, and some other relevant courses, so I guess that's probably not a weak spot for me. I did get a little research experience as an RA but getting more is definitely part of the plan – I was hoping to find a productive distraction while I compete with a bunch of other people looking to do the same thing, lol!

Thanks for the input!