History MA outcomes

orangeorange

I was recently admitted to a funded MA program at a state school. 

For those who have their MA/PhD or are currently in a program, would you say your degree has helped you find a stable career you enjoy or helped you advance to a PhD? \

I love history and I am excited at the prospect of doing more research and being a student after getting my BA in '18, but I am wary of the prospects. I am currently employed with a decent wage, though I worry about financial stability in the current climate.  For those who have the degree - I just want to know your experience and insight

Thanks!

It ended up working out fantastically well for me. I struck the 1 in a million jackpot and got a full-time position at a CC with my MA (from a state school). It's not tenure-track but it is fully benefited and there is the possibility of moving to TT in the future.

I'm fully aware my experience is just about the furthest thing from a typical outcome, and I feel very fortunate to be in the position I'm in. For what it's worth my cohort members had mostly positive outcomes. The people I went to school with became high school teachers (many schools pay you more if you have an MA), others went on to do museum work & archival work, others became academic advisors & journalists, a few were successfully able to continue on to PhD programs. So, from the anecdotal evidence, I think the history MA was helpful in placing people into jobs or preparing them for PhD work.

I was in your position when I started my MA, I had to give up a stable job to do so. If I was making the decision again in this economic & national climate, I'm not sure I would do it. On the other hand, the budget crisis in academia might get worse, and that funded offer you have in hand might not be funded in a few years if you decide to wait.

Ultimately the decision is up to you. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 8:48 PM, orangeorange said:

I was recently admitted to a funded MA program at a state school. 

For those who have their MA/PhD or are currently in a program, would you say your degree has helped you find a stable career you enjoy or helped you advance to a PhD? \

I love history and I am excited at the prospect of doing more research and being a student after getting my BA in '18, but I am wary of the prospects. I am currently employed with a decent wage, though I worry about financial stability in the current climate.  For those who have the degree - I just want to know your experience and insight

Thanks!

I can't say that my MA helped me get a job, but it did make me a stronger person and a better scholar--and helped me realize how much I can accomplish on very tight timelines.  This last portion, while it probably didn't help me get a corporate job that I kept for four years (finally leaving to return to school for an additional undergraduate degree in another social science field), probably gave me the skills I needed to do that job, which involved a lot of client-deliverable writing, deadline-setting and keeping, and organization.  If you're in a MA program that requires a thesis project, you will pick up these kinds of skills that will look good on a resume and are something you can speak to in cover letters in the future.

Congrats on a funded MA offer!

What kind of jobs would you like to pursue? Do you really need a MA in history for that?