Choosing between GSU vs SFU - MA in Philosophy

buridansdonkey

Hi all!

I know this is cutting it close to the deadline, but I'm really torn between two schools and I was wondering if anyone here could weigh in. I've been accepted to both Simon Fraser and Georgia State. The funding which I've been offered is nearly the exact same between the two schools (though I know that Vancouver has a higher cost of living than Atlanta). My areas of interest are moral and ethical philosophy, philosophy of law, and feminist philosophy.

Anyone have any input about which would be a better fit for me?

Thanks!

I don't have experience with either programs, but just going to throw out that it might be worthwhile to reach out to the respective DGS at those programs and talk over your options! I did this with a few programs I was admitted/waitlisted at, and the DGS were typically very helpful and objective in offering their advice. You could reach out to some current grad students as well (if you haven't already). Sounds like both are great options either way ? 

What to do if the DGS and other professors are unresponsive, while the program itself is still pretty attractive?

To OP, I do think SFU has a better placement overall. But as the data are incomplete, it might be hard to know who did ethics and got placed to which program. GSU has very complete data so that you can go deep into that.

10 hours ago, buridansdonkey said:

Hi all!

I know this is cutting it close to the deadline, but I'm really torn between two schools and I was wondering if anyone here could weigh in. I've been accepted to both Simon Fraser and Georgia State. The funding which I've been offered is nearly the exact same between the two schools (though I know that Vancouver has a higher cost of living than Atlanta). My areas of interest are moral and ethical philosophy, philosophy of law, and feminist philosophy.

Anyone have any input about which would be a better fit for me?

Thanks!

I would 100% choose SFU for departmental climate reasons. I was admitted to both places, and from talking with students I heard way more positive things about the friendliness and culture at SFU than I did at GSU. I also believe SFU might better prepare students for PhD applications because you do a professional paper instead of a thesis, since a thesis is typically too long to serve as a writing sample and requires significant editing versus the professional paper which you will get faculty feedback on and is designed to be your writing sample for applications.