Columbia School of Social Work worth the price?

Hi everyone,

I am soon deciding on my graduate school path, and I have been offered admission into Columbia's School of Social Work. I received scholarships and I qualify for work study, but I would still be taking out a fortune in loans. I am trying to determine if going to Columbia would be worth the astronomical price. 

I would be able to live at my parents' house and commute from NJ, which greatly offsets the cost of living in NYC.

So, is it worth it? Will it put me on a path for a stable and great career that would allow me to pay off my loans?

Thank you all!

1 hour ago, LapisLazuli00 said:

Hi everyone,

I am soon deciding on my graduate school path, and I have been offered admission into Columbia's School of Social Work. I received scholarships and I qualify for work study, but I would still be taking out a fortune in loans. I am trying to determine if going to Columbia would be worth the astronomical price. 

I would be able to live at my parents' house and commute from NJ, which greatly offsets the cost of living in NYC.

So, is it worth it? Will it put me on a path for a stable and great career that would allow me to pay off my loans?

Thank you all!

I know several people who graduated from there who do fabulous work on an institutional level as well as in a clinical capacity. That said, I know just as many who do similar work with an MSW from Rutgers for a fraction of the cost. MSWs really don't make a ton of money, and I'm personally not convinced that school recognition warrants a loan balance that is not commensurate with expected earnings. While people don't typically get into the field to make money, one should still expect to be able to live with some means of financial security post-grad.