Applying for: Biostats PhD fall 2022 

Undergrad: Top 20 

Major: Statistics

GPA: 3.75

Math: Multivariable calculus: B+, Linear Algebra: A, Real Analysis: A- 

Statistics: Mostly A's, A-'s, one B 

Research: 2 years research with professor, 1-2 publications

GRE: 167Q, 160V, 4.5AW

Letters of Recommendation:  Two great ones from research advisors (both well-known), one decent one from professor for stats class.

Applying to: Harvard, Hopkins, UW, UNC, Columbia, Penn, Berkeley, Duke, Boston, Pitt

General Questions: What are my chances of getting into those schools above? Additionally, is there anything I should do now to improve my application?

Your list looks very reasonable to apply to with your profile. I think BU and Pitt are relatively safe choices for your profile, and it wouldn't hurt to add another school like MD Anderson or University of Minnesota Biostatistics (i.e. in roughly the same tier as Columbia and UPenn Perelman).

I think your chances at Harvard, Hopkins, UW, and UNC are slim (especially the first 3). If you'd applied 5-6 years ago, I think you would have a solid chance at these schools, but the competition has gotten really stiff recently. 

I agree with @Stat Assistant Professorthat MD Anderson and Minnesota would be good options to add. I'd maybe consider Michigan, Berkeley, and Emory as well.

I think the higher ones are possibilities depending on what these papers and letters are like - if they worked with top people and did significant work, that's a totally different application. Hard to tell with details given, but that's a broad range of schools so you'd be fine.

I don't mean you need to work with a famous person (I suspect this doesn't hurt).  But what I mean is there's a big difference between a small project where you do some data analysis for a class project vs. some applicants I see that have papers published in JASA before their PhD, and there is a broad spectrum in between.  This will be reflected in the letters of recommendation.

7 hours ago, bayessays said:

I don't mean you need to work with a famous person (I suspect this doesn't hurt).  But what I mean is there's a big difference between a small project where you do some data analysis for a class project vs. some applicants I see that have papers published in JASA before their PhD, and there is a broad spectrum in between.  This will be reflected in the letters of recommendation.

Yeah, I agree. @cinets you should use the template utilized by others on this forum and give us more details on your profile.

However, I think the B+ in multivariable calc and relatively shallow math background in general will be a detriment to your application, even if you've published a good paper. You should consider taking Real Analysis II and getting a really good grade in it. Consider taking other proof-based courses as well.