Applying to PhD in Social Work without MSW/Masters

anthrosoc

I'm wondering if anyone has info. on individuals who have been accepted into a PhD program in Social Work without a Masters or MSW.  I have two undergraduate degrees (one in Anthropology and one in Psychology) so at this point I don't see the need for a Masters.  I'd like to apply for PhD programs in Social Work in the upcoming cycle but some schools require that you have a Masters or MSW.  Are there any schools that don't have this requirement where they're open to admitting students with just an undergrad?  Any relevant input would be appreciated.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, anthrosoc said:

I'm wondering if anyone has info. on individuals who have been accepted into a PhD program in Social Work without a Masters or MSW.  I have two undergraduate degrees (one in Anthropology and one in Psychology) so at this point I don't see the need for a Masters.  I'd like to apply for PhD programs in Social Work in the upcoming cycle but some schools require that you have a Masters or MSW.  Are there any schools that don't have this requirement where they're open to admitting students with just an undergrad?  Any relevant input would be appreciated.  

I did this this year and was accepted to many programs - totally doable!

• 6 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, anthrosoc said:

It depends on why you want a social work phd and how strong you are otherwise. For both a practical and philosophical reason.

Practical: If you want to be able to teach/get hired full time with a teaching load, it will be easier to do with a MSW and two years post Master's experience, because CSWE *requires* the people teaching practice classes to have 2 years post master's experience. So post PhD any program hiring you without that will know you cannot teach practice classes. And any PhD programs with a strong teaching practicum aspect may have trouble placing you, since you can't do the practice classes. It's not an automatic no, because you could still research and teach ethics, electives or research classes. But it just makes you a bit less flexible on the market.

Philosophically: social work as a field has strong feelings about it's ethics and being able to cross populations (micro to micro) and being a generalist, it's "signature pedagogy" of learning through practice under a social worker etc. So you'll have to make up for not having practice experience by being stronger in some other ways and proving you're a good fit for the field without practice experience.