UCLA vs UCSB vs SDSU

Can someone please help me decide between these schools?

UCLA - MS Biostats

UCSB - MA statistics

SDSU - MS statistics

I am still planning on getting a PhD after completion of masters. Not partial to biostats, despite extensive life science research background. My biggest worry is: if I go to a lower ranked MS, like SDSU, will I be shooting myself in the foot if I want get into an elite PhD program afterwards? 

UCSB Pros

-funded

-UC system

-strong faculty focus in financial statistics, but still diverse faculty in terms of other research interests

-degree is in stats rather than biostats, so more opportunity to go into a biostats or stats PhD?

UCSB Cons

-small town (<100k)

-MA instead of an MS (not sure if this matters)

UCLA Pros

-will likely be funded

-highly regarded school in UC system, and might help application when applying to PhD programs

-located in LA

-less theoretical program than UCSB

UCLA Cons

-located in LA

-biostats in instead of plain stats

SDSU Pros

-located in SD where I live, and would ideally like stay

-likely funded and/or very cheap

-option to concentrate if Biostats if I want, but still an MS in stats

-located in massive biotech scene

SDSU Cons

-not well known state school, and I want to go to a good PhD program afterwards

-very small faculty, but they are diverse in research interests

I don't think biostatistics vs. statistics matters at all - you'll pretty much take the same courses at all these places.  If you haven't taken real analysis, I would definitely go to a place where you can take that too to prepare for a PhD program.

Do any of the programs give you a chance, in your first year, to start doing research with faculty so you can get a good letter of recommendation from someone?  This to me would be by far the #1 factor in my decision.

I do think that obviously there will be some small advantage in going to the higher ranked UCLA compared to UCSB, and also UCSB compared to SDSU.  But I think *most* of that advantage will only be realized if you actually do research with faculty.

I would personally look very closely at the funding - there is a huge difference between being guaranteed funding and being told you are *likely* funded.  The funding, opportunities for research, and ability to take real analysis, along with personal factors would be the biggest deciding factors for me.

It sounds like you want to go to SDSU -- I don't think this is totally crazy, as it's a pretty respectable program even if it's not as prestigious as UCLA, and if it will make the next two years of your life happier that is something to consider.

39 minutes ago, bayessays said:

I don't think biostatistics vs. statistics matters at all - you'll pretty much take the same courses at all these places.  If you haven't taken real analysis, I would definitely go to a place where you can take that too to prepare for a PhD program.

Do any of the programs give you a chance, in your first year, to start doing research with faculty so you can get a good letter of recommendation from someone?  This to me would be by far the #1 factor in my decision.

I do think that obviously there will be some small advantage in going to the higher ranked UCLA compared to UCSB, and also UCSB compared to SDSU.  But I think *most* of that advantage will only be realized if you actually do research with faculty.

I would personally look very closely at the funding - there is a huge difference between being guaranteed funding and being told you are *likely* funded.  The funding, opportunities for research, and ability to take real analysis, along with personal factors would be the biggest deciding factors for me.

It sounds like you want to go to SDSU -- I don't think this is totally crazy, as it's a pretty respectable program even if it's not as prestigious as UCLA, and if it will make the next two years of your life happier that is something to consider.

Thank you for your insight @bayessays, this has been very helpful.

Good to know that the degree title biostatistics vs statistics doesn't matter.

These are excellent points. I will definitely be sending some emails about research during first year and ability to take real analysis.

I didn't think SDSU is a bad idea per se (I've even seen some faculty, at UCLA for example, who got their stats MS from SDSU), but I realize that going to a higher ranked school has its perks (networking, research, funding, school name recognition/prestige for PhD apps and jobs, etc). Honestly, it is just going to be hard to leave San Diego if I have to!