PhD program suggestions

Chandelier2021

Question

6 answers to this question

What is it that you want to do ad a job? A PhD is still a means to and end, so I would start by figuring out what your ideal career path is and then look at what degree most people in that field have. If your goal is academia, then I would consider what it is specifically that you want to study and what departments are faculty doing that type of research. 

1 hour ago, Chandelier2021 said:

I would like to become a professor, but I am currently not sure what departments to even look at given my research interests.

Start by researching articles of interest. Do a search in Google Scholar and find papers of stuff you envision yourself doing. Who are the people doing that research? What departments are they in? This will help you build your list of potential mentors/schools. 

14 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Start by researching articles of interest. Do a search in Google Scholar and find papers of stuff you envision yourself doing. Who are the people doing that research? What departments are they in? This will help you build your list of potential mentors/schools. 

Thank you. At the moment, I looks like most of the people in my area of interest are in history departments. So, I think based on your advice, I should be able to reach out to them for help.

4 hours ago, Chandelier2021 said:

Thank you. At the moment, I looks like most of the people in my area of interest are in history departments. So, I think based on your advice, I should be able to reach out to them for help.

Drift on over when you get the chance...

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/38-history/

5 hours ago, Chandelier2021 said:

I would follow Sigaba's suggestion and check out the history forum for more guidance. This may be discipline specific, but faculty in my field would be confused if someone reached out to them for help. People often reach out when they are about to apply and hoping to discuss research match.