Substance Use Disorder Research Question/ Input from Current, New and Former PhD Students

BDD4343

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster here.  :)  I recently started an MSW program with the hope of going into a PhD program in the future.  As I've begun my research looking at faculty for various PhD programs, I have some concerns about how prevalent substance use disorder and addictive behavior research is in the field of social work, which is my area of interest.  I have tended to find that faculty will note they do research around substance use, but most of their publications and research do not seem focused on this specifically or solely.  Oftentimes this area is studied in conjunction with something like Hepatitis C or HIV research, etc.  When looking at the myriad other topics faculty study, substance use is rarely mentioned in comparison.  Granted, I've only just begun this research!  So I'm hoping I'm looking in the wrong places and maybe just at the wrong programs as well.

A few questions I have from current, new, and former PhD students (or anyone who can provide input! :D) are;

- Are there specific schools/ programs that are more well known than others for focusing on substance use disorder research? (or even a step away, addiction research more broadly- I've noticed gambling research pop up a bit too)

- If you are studying/ pursuing this area in your PhD program, where did you go to identify potential faculty?  I've been told to just peruse journals and read papers to find faculty and go from there.

- Is Social Work the right field for me to be looking at, or should I be looking more towards Psychology programs instead?  I'm not interested in studying public health or epidemiology so much (I do this in my current job), but more the behavioral aspect and research/interventions in creating better outcomes for patients living and struggling with addictive behaviors.

I guess I'm worried no one in SW is studying what I'm interested in and I should be looking at PhD Psych programs (I'm aware of the abysmal acceptance rates for said programs).  I like social work for its interdisciplinary nature in solving problems, but yea I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong area now at this point!  Any advice or guidance people can provide would be fantastic.  I know the PhD faculty match is essential, but if no one is really studying this solely, it doesn't sound like I can make a path out of it.  I hope I'm wrong!

Thank you all for your help.

1 hour ago, BDD4343 said:

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster here.  :)  I recently started an MSW program with the hope of going into a PhD program in the future.  As I've begun my research looking at faculty for various PhD programs, I have some concerns about how prevalent substance use disorder and addictive behavior research is in the field of social work, which is my area of interest.  I have tended to find that faculty will note they do research around substance use, but most of their publications and research do not seem focused on this specifically or solely.  Oftentimes this area is studied in conjunction with something like Hepatitis C or HIV research, etc.  When looking at the myriad other topics faculty study, substance use is rarely mentioned in comparison.  Granted, I've only just begun this research!  So I'm hoping I'm looking in the wrong places and maybe just at the wrong programs as well.

A few questions I have from current, new, and former PhD students (or anyone who can provide input! :D) are;

- Are there specific schools/ programs that are more well known than others for focusing on substance use disorder research? (or even a step away, addiction research more broadly- I've noticed gambling research pop up a bit too)

- If you are studying/ pursuing this area in your PhD program, where did you go to identify potential faculty?  I've been told to just peruse journals and read papers to find faculty and go from there.

- Is Social Work the right field for me to be looking at, or should I be looking more towards Psychology programs instead?  I'm not interested in studying public health or epidemiology so much (I do this in my current job), but more the behavioral aspect and research/interventions in creating better outcomes for patients living and struggling with addictive behaviors.

I guess I'm worried no one in SW is studying what I'm interested in and I should be looking at PhD Psych programs (I'm aware of the abysmal acceptance rates for said programs).  I like social work for its interdisciplinary nature in solving problems, but yea I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong area now at this point!  Any advice or guidance people can provide would be fantastic.  I know the PhD faculty match is essential, but if no one is really studying this solely, it doesn't sound like I can make a path out of it.  I hope I'm wrong!

Thank you all for your help.

Are you applying directly to PhD programs or do you want to do an MSW then PhD? Are you looking to teach/research or do you want to also directly treat? 

I would identify programs that have SUD sub-concentrations or certificates and/or have an affiliation with an interdisciplinary institute focused on SUDs and addiction. 

Off hand, Michigan, Tulane, NYU (SARET) Penn, USC (IAS).... they have sub-concentrations or institutes specifically related to SUDs. Penn’s MSW program was just awarded a huge grant from SAMHSA. 

Whether this is the right field - I would say yes, 100%. Social Workers not only frequently treat SUDs, they’re often on the front lines working with those disproportionately impacted by the “war on drugs.” 

Feel free to PM if you have any questions! 

• 2 weeks later...

I would also recommend finding some of your favorite publications and back searching where the professors are currently.  Additionally, if you are applying in a specific geographical area start on google scholar and enter in the professors that are researching SUD etc.  

You can also search active grants that your professors have applied to because that often shows the trajectory.  Remember, your interests only need to align, but they do not have to be an exact match.