Are Counseling Psychologists (Ph.D.) less employable in practical/clinical settings than Clinical Psychologists (Ph.D./Psy.D.)?

As someone who is trying to narrow down what field of psychology to pursue (either Clinical or Counseling), I am looking at differences in practice-related employment opportunities for Clinical Ph.D./Psy.D. vs. Counseling Ph.D. psychologists. 

I started to look at the staff profiles of mental health clinics and hospitals in the New York State area, and I noticed that Clinical Psychologists are employed in hospital/clinic/private-practice settings at far greater numbers than Counseling Psychologists are. In fact, LMHC/LCSW holders tended to be the most common hires. I know my sample size is small, but does this employment trend generally hold true? If so, where do Counseling Psychologists typically practice?

Moreover, are group clinics and private practices more incentivized to hire LMHCs over Counseling Psychologists (Ph.D.)? I understand that Clinical Psychologists will always be in high demand because of their specialized training in treating severe mental illnesses. But in employers' hiring decisions in choosing LMHCs vs. a Counseling Psychologists, is one more desirable than the other from an employers' perspective? If Counseling Psychologists are trained in higher level assessments, more advanced education, and have more field experience, why aren't I finding more Counseling Psychologists employed in non-academia settings where there are tons of LMHCs?*

I would appreciate any insight or resources to learn more about this topic. THANK YOU!

*Is answer to this last question simply that the sheer number of people who are LMHCs is far greater than number of people holding Counseling Ph.D.s, or is there something else contributing to this trend? 

I think the reason why you see more Clinical Psychologists in hospital settings because typically individuals who go into Clinical psych are interested in that particular setting. Most people go into clinical psych because they want to heavily engage in research or work in a medical setting. However, counseling psychologist can work in all the same places as a clinical psychologist. But typically speaking people go into counseling psych to work in academia or work with clients. I also believe people tend to go the LMHC route because you can get that title with a Master's Degree. Also those programs take more applicants typically which means more graduates. So maybe seeing more of them in the field is related to that?  

It does appear that most Counseling Psychologist have their own practice instead of working at an agency. But I haven't noticed there being more LMHC but it could just be due to my location.

Edited by DocPending

The license you get as a clinical psychologist and a counseling psychologist is identical. The difference is more of a philosophical one than anything else, especially since APA-accredited programs must have certain coursework regardless of which type. There are more clinical psych programs out there than counseling psych programs. As far as why hospital systems will hire LMHCs and LCSWs over counseling psychologist, the answer is just that it's economically better. Master's level providers are cheaper, and you often don't need as many people doing assessments as you do people doing therapy. You can hire 1 or 2 psychologists for assessments and then let counselors and social workers handle the therapy.