"studentship"

perrier

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I may ask for your help? I recently received an email from my future supervisor informing me that they will offer me the PhD studentship, which "is the equivalent of EU/UK home full-time fees". I was wondering if this means that it's full tuition + a stipend of some sort, or does it mean it only provides tuition ? I will email him too to ask for more details, but meanwhile, I don't want to sound ungrateful for the offer. This is for a phd program in the UK. Thanks so much for your help! :)

a "studentship" in the UK = full tuition and a stipend. What you need to clarify is whether the studentship will cover UK tuition fees (i.e Local) or international fees which you will then might have to top up with your own money.

Congrats on getting offered a studentship in the UK.. its quite hard to get funding in the UK for international students as compared to the US...

Based on the description provided, it will definitely cover home/EU fees but will NOT cover the international portion of tuition (so you're still responsible for that half.) I would definitely clarify if that includes a stipend; usually studentships do, but there's no guarantee.

Congrats as well on the studentship; like player23 says, they're hard to get!

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your help and replies. I really appreciate it. I have been looking up the tuition there, and it looks like the local UK students pay between 4200-6300 EU for postgraduate studies, while international students must pay up to 10,500-12,700 EU! If that is indeed the case where the studentship money only supports the local amount, then there is still quite a difference to make up! Of course, I'm still waiting for the official documents to arrive so I can compare the details, but for now, the financial situation is looking grim... :( ... thanks a lot for your help again though~