Toronto Finding

UndergradDad

I know Canadian universities don’t typically offer great funding to American students (or any international students) as far as I’ve heard. I’m wondering if Toronto might be better with funding since I’m guessing they have better endowments etc. Is that the case, or do AmericanPhd students there come out with debt? They have a respected philosophy program so thought it was worth asking.

My impression is that some Canadian universities are less likely to give Master's funding to Americans than Canadians, but PhD funding for Americans is quite comparable to America. (I don't know how admissions take into account international status.) When I was applying for F19 start, Toronto offered me iirc $23k CAD stipend, which was later upped to 30k. Toronto isn't a cheap city, but the buying power on that stipend struck me as sufficient, and similar to stipends in America. But I ended up not choosing it for other (benign) reasons, so others would be able to say more.