How Much Language Experience is Needed for MA Funding?

Pasiphae

Hi all! 

I'm currently a rising undergrad senior who is looking to get a PhD in Classical Archaeology, primarily specializing in the Bronze Age Aegean; however, by the time I apply to graduate schools, I'll only be on my third year of Latin and my first year of Greek. Because I want to increase my chances for admission to a top program, I probably want to first go to a funded MA or post-bacc to both improve my languages and get more coursework. To get for an MA program, would 3/1 years of Latin/Greek be enough to secure funding? Or would post-bacc to PhD be a better path? Thanks!

I think I have found every Classics MA currently offering funding in North America. They all specify having a minimum of three years in one language and two years in the other language. Tulane mentions having three years in one language, and one year in the other language, but there certainly are applicants with stronger language skills who probably receive those spots.

People in this forum will probably advise a formal post-bacc, but the post-bacc programs are rather expensive.

You could DM me if you want more info.

I'm currently in a funded MA (philology) and I came in with 8 years of Latin, 4 years of Greek. I think you should apply to MA programs anyways (I believe archaeologists can get away with less language in general (you still have to take the exams though), and for Bronze Age Aegean stuff, modern languages and Linear B (which i don't think any grad school expects a first year to know coming in) are probably going to be more useful to you than attic Greek and Latin anyways). However I would also apply to post-baccs just in case. My program says language deficiencies can be made up first year, so shoot your shot, but like ctbnj said, you might look weaker as a candidate for admission because lots of people will have more language than you do and that unfortunately still matters a lot. So I would have a back up plan of a post-bacc.

I second what the others have already said.  As for post-bacc, as far as I know, the only one that offers full funding is ESI PREP at Yale.   It's not, however, specifically for Classics or classical archeology, so you will most likely be competing with applicants in other fields.  But it's worth looking into if post-bacc is an option for you.

• 2 months later...

Hi, @Pasiphae! I know I'm super late to this, but Villanova University has funding for their MA, which you can do either completely online or hybrid. You can choose a Latin or Latin/Greek if you want to focus on languages, and there is a Culture option where the languages are optional. I would say if you go for VU, do the Latin/Greek track and that'll give you more of a background before going to your PhD. If you want to know more about the Tuition Scholarship, or VU's MA, please don't hesitate to message!