Online PhD in Hebrew Bible/ANE or OT or Classics

godmakesnew

Hello,

I'm looking for a program that is either entirely online or mostly online with periodic visits (typically a few week-long stays). I'm interested in Hebrew Bible, ANE studies, Classics, basically ancient backgrounds/context to Biblical studies. At this point I'm not being picky because I have noticed that there seems to be almost no programs like this that are not a residency. I am hoping some of you have heard of online or partially online programs like this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dain

You'll have to go to Evangelical Seminaries & SBC seminaries.

University based religion programs mostly fund their Ph.D candidates, so they are looking for strong full time students.

Most Evangelical Seminaries look for students eagerly, so they try to meet the needs of their students. 

What are your goals after Ph.D? If Academic is your path, I wouldn't recommend going into a program that is fully online. The online programs are just not that competitive. 

If pastoral work is your thing, and you want to stay at a church and also fulfill education, look for evangelical seminaries. 

Count classics out. As far as I know, there are zero classics doctoral programs in the USA that are (mostly) online. That and nearly all classics doctoral programs in this country do not study HB, ANE, etc. They will look at your applicant, scratch their head, and move on. There are some exceptions of course (e.g. Wisconsin Madison, University of British Columbia), but none of these interdisciplinary programs are online. 

• 5 months later...

No matter how hard I searched for such programs, I always found human greed and avarice. It is even surprising because logically, God is found by people who are pure in motives and thoughts, then why does such dirt grow in these communities? I don't want to dissuade you or anything like that, but I advise you to study this topic yourself. I hope that in your case you will succeed, but unfortunately, it didn't work out that way for me. From time to time, I read articles like Bible Verses that inspire, especially when I'm having trouble or sad since I just haven't found a similar program that would suit me. Everyone has their way, and I hope that you will be able to find what you are looking for