Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Truman is the political sciencesque field. Although, you can do what you want with either.

That last part is very true. Most of these prestigious scholarships attract those not in the sciences/engineering. In other words, most of the applicants are not in those fields, which I find interesting and surprising. But then again, looking at my engineering class, I can see why they might or might not be able to function in the real world. Lol. Some have social skills that may not be on par with normal people ... but that is a generalization ...

Just got my acceptance for a full Fulbright IIE grant to Russia yesterday. It came in a big manilla envelope.

BTW- I just came across this site while looking for more information on the Fulbright and figured I'd take the time to share my news. This is the second time I applied for the IIE- I was rejected last year- so I'm surprised that I didn't see this site before. In the end though, I think I'm glad I didn't know about this forum until after I found out- I would have probably gone mad checking this board every ten minutes.

Good luck!

That last part is very true. Most of these prestigious scholarships attract those not in the sciences/engineering. In other words, most of the applicants are not in those fields, which I find interesting and surprising. But then again, looking at my engineering class, I can see why they might or might not be able to function in the real world. Lol. Some have social skills that may not be on par with normal people ... but that is a generalization ...

Hahahah that generalization definitely holds true for people in my major: chemistry. I'm hoping that having overseas research experience and a science background will put me at an advantage for the Fulbright full grant in Spain. The director of the Fulbright Commission in Spain even said, "I would like to see more applicants in the sciences. We havehad some doing interesting things in Biology and other Medical Sciences. Butanything in the sciences would be most welcome."

This wait is killing me. Can I just call the Fulbright commission in Spain and ask them instead of waiting on silly snail mail?!!

Just got my acceptance for a full Fulbright IIE grant to Russia yesterday. It came in a big manilla envelope.

BTW- I just came across this site while looking for more information on the Fulbright and figured I'd take the time to share my news. This is the second time I applied for the IIE- I was rejected last year- so I'm surprised that I didn't see this site before. In the end though, I think I'm glad I didn't know about this forum until after I found out- I would have probably gone mad checking this board every ten minutes.

Good luck!

Another engineer! Have you found out about the Fulbright? Also, I see you applied for Boren! Wow. That's intense. Which countries can go to with Boren? Isn't that more geared towards political science type things? Or is that the Truman? Hmm. I get them all confused.

No, I haven't found out yet.

I hope to find out in the next one to two weeks though! Congratulations on your acceptance! It is definitely nice to see another engineer on this forum.

There was a small amount of overlap between Boren and Fulbright. Fortunately, the deadline for Boren wasn't until February, so I had plenty of extra time to craft my application.

Yeah, I get them all confused too. I think Boren is mainly for people who plan on getting a job related to national security someday. My adviser told me they haven't been getting as many math/science type people as they would like to, so I thought it would be a good backup plan in case if Fulbright falls through (here's to hoping it doesn't, though)!

Edited by jg33

I find it interesting too. Maybe us engineers are generally less adventurous, who knows... I don't know what it is like at your school, but our program has really been pushing study abroad the past couple of years... Just four or five years ago, we hardly had any engineering study abroad programs at all, and now we have a ton. So, maybe that will lead to more engineers applying for these types of things.

This wait is killing me. Can I just call the Fulbright commission in Spain and ask them instead of waiting on silly snail mail?!!

That's what I'm about to do. A few other users on this board have received their notifications from Russia and I haven't gotten anything. If I don't get anything in the mail tomorrow, I'm calling them to see if they can tell me or if there's a way to track down the letter or not.

That's what I'm about to do. A few other users on this board have received their notifications from Russia and I haven't gotten anything. If I don't get anything in the mail tomorrow, I'm calling them to see if they can tell me or if there's a way to track down the letter or not.

Where are you located? I haven't heard from Russia either.

Everything in Spain just takes longer, so prepare yourself hahaha.

Hahahah that generalization definitely holds true for people in my major: chemistry. I'm hoping that having overseas research experience and a science background will put me at an advantage for the Fulbright full grant in Spain. The director of the Fulbright Commission in Spain even said, "I would like to see more applicants in the sciences. We havehad some doing interesting things in Biology and other Medical Sciences. Butanything in the sciences would be most welcome."

So are you volunteering to be the person who emails Rachel this week and asks about when the letters will be mailed out?! lol This wait is killing me as well, but I have resolved to just be calm and let it be a surprise when I find the letter in my mailbox.

Mind sharing your location and the postmark date?

Good luck!

Edited by rising_star

I've been waiting for word from Fulbright for a study/research grant to United Arab Emirates. Last year's applicants to much of the Middle East, were notified late April, or May. UAE applicants weren't notified until June 1 BY PHONE. This is not hard for me to imagine as the Emirates just has different timelines really. In fact, I'm grateful for last year's notifications spreadsheet because it helped with seeing how long most Middle East applicants had to wait.

For the last few months I've been wondering how much the Tunisian and Egyptian revolutions will affect Fulbright in the Middle East. The region seems to receive around 100 grantees, but may divided around the Middle East according to need. In addition to developments in the former nations, there have been news-worthy protests in: Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, and Bahrain. For the last few years Bahrain and Yemen have not sent Fulbright students; Libya also has not received Fulbrighters for some time. So many areas where there has been protests were not hosting students on Fulbright grants. Egypt, however, has always received 30% of the entire region.

Anyways, I feel anxious about hearing from them... however I think it will still take until June. This is especially frustrating as I am graduating June 12.

I keep wondering if I should write the Middle East coordinator... and quit merely googling when others receive notifications :)

Thanks for this blog & the spreadsheet. I found last year's really helpful.. although I have no idea where the link is to it now.

:-) have you seen anyone from the Middle East added yet? I'm waiting to be approved to access the one on Google apparently...

-erica

So are you volunteering to be the person who emails Rachel this week and asks about when the letters will be mailed out?! lol This wait is killing me as well, but I have resolved to just be calm and let it be a surprise when I find the letter in my mailbox.

Erica Charves-

I see someone got rejected for a full grant to Bahrain. Hopefully this marks the beginning of ME/NA notifications!

Edited by jazzz

I bet they DID get rejected for Bahrain. Their proposal could have been pure gold, but the nation is under police state style "emergency law" which is (according to their constitution) only supposed to last 3 months. However, it's not looking good for a huge part of the region.

I hope so, where did you apply?

Thanks for the update on the spreadsheet...

Erica Charves-

I see someone got rejected for a full grant to Bahrain. Hopefully this marks the beginning of ME/NA notifications!

I think they would still accept people or at least make everyone an alternate with the grant depending on the security situation, rather than just outright rejecting everyone (or so I would like to think). Then they would have no Fulbrighters for next year in the case it ended up being deemed safe enough for students to go! Fingers crossed that it will be!

I applied to Morocco (ETA), which luckily has been calm and is predicted to stay that way. But it would be naive of me to believe Morocco is the exception. I'll never say never but I'm feeling pretty ok about it for the moment! No State Department travel warnings = good sign.

I bet they DID get rejected for Bahrain. Their proposal could have been pure gold, but the nation is under police state style "emergency law" which is (according to their constitution) only supposed to last 3 months. However, it's not looking good for a huge part of the region.

I hope so, where did you apply?

Thanks for the update on the spreadsheet...

Exactly what I was figuring, "no state department warnings= a good sign"

However, the number grows, and I think for the State Dept, they may not want to issue a warning about Bahrain (unless I missed it?) since our 5th naval fleet is stationed there. However, I'm wondering what will become of Egypt's Fulbright portion. They receive so many, and I didn't know if the previous warnings had straight been lifted, or what they had in mind. Thankfully new AUC campus is outside of Cairo now; it was my understanding the old campus was straight downtown near Medan Tahrir. I am thinking if they aren't sending some does that mean other nations will end up with more?

Morocco sounds so lovely; I've always wanted to visit Fez and Marrakesh. I think it's been slightly impacted but in positive ways with the King promising reforms, with interests of the youth carefully weighed and included.

What is your study/ research field?

Good luck! Hope we meet in Washington DC.

I think they would still accept people or at least make everyone an alternate with the grant depending on the security situation, rather than just outright rejecting everyone (or so I would like to think). Then they would have no Fulbrighters for next year in the case it ended up being deemed safe enough for students to go! Fingers crossed that it will be!

I applied to Morocco (ETA), which luckily has been calm and is predicted to stay that way. But it would be naive of me to believe Morocco is the exception. I'll never say never but I'm feeling pretty ok about it for the moment! No State Department travel warnings = good sign.

I'm positive that that's an error. It said on the spreadsheet that I was rejected for Bahrain, but I haven't been notified yet. I'm sure that the other Bahrain person just hasn't fixed it from the last time the spreadsheet got messed up. Sorry--no Middle East notifications yet!

I'm positive that that's an error. It said on the spreadsheet that I was rejected for Bahrain, but I haven't been notified yet. I'm sure that the other Bahrain person just hasn't fixed it from the last time the spreadsheet got messed up. Sorry--no Middle East notifications yet!

OK-so for that, I meant to quote the original post about the rejection for Bahrain. But I'm sure you guys got it, anyway. :)

Reading what you guys wrote is depressing! I mean, I'm definitely keeping up with the situation over there, but seeing other people in my situation (or at least a similar one) talk about it is just depressing. I keep telling myself that if there are problems in Bahrain when the grant time rolls around, maybe they'll send me to Oman! (where I would have applied if an ETA existed there...)

wait wait wait wait wait

I'm the other Bahrain (full grant) applicant, and I haven't received any notification (nor did I edit my status on the spreadsheet). When I emailed Jermaine Jones, he was only able to tell me that the Gulf countries have historically notified towards the end of April, and he had no idea if that would hold true this year. I would be absolutely stunned if they were willing to send Fulbrights to Bahrain right now (and my professors are telling me that there is no chance in hell). For ETA applicants who would be successful, it seems easy enough to simply redirect them to another country, but since research proposals are specifically tailored to a country, I don't see what IIE would do for those applicants when the security situation is bad.

Olympia:

I am in the Midwest. You? Please tell me you're in the Midwest or further East so I won't feel as anxious! lol

Part of the problem is, I have a permanent address on the application and I put a different temporary address. HOWEVER, I am not living at the temp any more and I specifically noted on the app that the address would expire in December. So I don't know where they sent it to. I've been trying to contact the landlady at the temp address and as of Friday she told me she hasn't received anything and she would call me. I've been trying to call her today and she hasn't answered.

I'm the other Bahrain (full grant) applicant, and I haven't received any notification (nor did I edit my status on the spreadsheet). When I emailed Jermaine Jones, he was only able to tell me that the Gulf countries have historically notified towards the end of April, and he had no idea if that would hold true this year. I would be absolutely stunned if they were willing to send Fulbrights to Bahrain right now (and my professors are telling me that there is no chance in hell). For ETA applicants who would be successful, it seems easy enough to simply redirect them to another country, but since research proposals are specifically tailored to a country, I don't see what IIE would do for those applicants when the security situation is bad.

There, I got access to the spreadsheet, and corrected it. Looks like no Middle East notifications still.

I am also in the Midwest. I would only start worrying if we don't get something tomorrow. Tuesday to Monday is not that strange for some mail routes here.

I guess it's also possible there was more than on batch, but that would be unusual.

Olympia:

I am in the Midwest. You? Please tell me you're in the Midwest or further East so I won't feel as anxious! lol

Part of the problem is, I have a permanent address on the application and I put a different temporary address. HOWEVER, I am not living at the temp any more and I specifically noted on the app that the address would expire in December. So I don't know where they sent it to. I've been trying to contact the landlady at the temp address and as of Friday she told me she hasn't received anything and she would call me. I've been trying to call her today and she hasn't answered.