Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hi, I'm one of those constant lurkers... and an alternate for Korea. The only one, according to the spreadsheet. Are there any more hiding out there? Although, it would be great if I WERE the only one. Seventy accepted and only one alternate.. :rolleyes:

and I know someone who is planning to turn down their fulbright to Korea :) so good luck to you

Even if it was sent today, there's a good chance that you wouldn't get it until Monday. Doesn't it take about 3 days?

Depends on where you are. I think from NYC to Chicago should take two days (so hopefully Thursday - Saturday). Did you talk to Jermaine today Loli?

South Africa Applicants (and Sub-Saharan Africa) - has anyone talked to Jermaine lately? I emailed on Monday and he said notifications were going to be sent out "later this week". I didn't want to bother him again...

No, I haven't heard any time frame so the next week sounds promising. Though my adviser did said that I would definitely have notification by May at the latest, I'm hoping soon?

Anybody wanna email Jody Dudderar Friday morning about when the Mexico notifications will be sent out? I emailed her two weeks ago and she said they might be mailed this week.

South Africa Applicants (and Sub-Saharan Africa) - has anyone talked to Jermaine lately? I emailed on Monday and he said notifications were going to be sent out "later this week". I didn't want to bother him again...

I emailed him on Tuesday, and he said by the end of the week they'd be mailed out. Isnt' someone callign him today?

I emailed him on Tuesday, and he said by the end of the week they'd be mailed out. Isnt' someone callign him today?

Yeah, I thought so - Loli or Nakasa (sp)? Anxiety galore!

I just got accepted to the Spain ETA and haven't heard anything about placements. Do you think that they email or mail them out? Also, when do they tell us the time line that we need to be in the country so that we can start looking for a plane ticket.

Well, Fulbright ETAs (in Madrid, but I'm pretty sure in Valencia and Cantabria, too) always start work on Sept. 15th. There's always an orientation about a week and a half before. We had to be here on Sept. 5th at the latest, I think it was. We stayed in a residence hall for orientation for 3-4 days if I remember correctly.

As for the placement notifications, I can only tell you from my experience. Last year we received an e-mail (those who were in Madrid) stating that we were placed in secondary schools in Madrid. When Fulbright sent us the contract paperwork later on, it had our specific school placement. Because Fulbright has to work with the Comunidad de Madrid for placements (This is the case for Madrid. Cantabria and Valencia work on different systems.), they probably can't confirm placements until the Comunidad has got an idea of who is returning and they have gotten their placements squared away. I can't remember when we got our contract paperwork in the mail. It wasn't too long after the notification, so you should find out about placements relatively soon!

I hope this wasn't too confusing and that it helped some! It's all a bit complicated to be honest!

But as for your flight, I can't give you a definitive answer. However, based on last year's timetable, I would wager they'll want you here around the 4th, as orientation started for us on a Sunday. However, that's all up in the air, so you'll just to wait until they notify you!

If you have any other questions about the process or advice (things I wish I would have had more of last year), just shoot me an e-mail: j_hall06@yahoo.com

Good luck =)

Yeah, I thought so - Loli or Nakasa (sp)? Anxiety galore!

WONDERFUL NEWS SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA FINALISTS!

I just got off the phone with Jermaine Jones. He said he mailed out the "Lion's Share" of letters yesterday afternoon. So we can expect our letters as early as this weekend! Keep in mind he said they mailed out MOST, so some of us might still have a little more of a wait.

Now we can set up shop near the mailbox: chair? check glass of wine? check stress ball? check

Edited by Loli

I just got off the phone with Jermaine Jones. He said he mailed out the "Lion's Share" of letters yesterday afternoon. So we can expect our letters as early as this weekend! Keep in mind he said they mailed out MOST, so some of us might still have a little more of a wait.

Now we can set up shop near the mailbox: chair? check glass of wine? check stress ball? check

Don't forget your laptops, so y'all can email your results in as they come. :-D

I am disliking the arbitrary divide between sub-Saharan and North Africa right now for many reasons. Nevertheless....Good luck to you all!

OH GOD. OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD.

I have nothing to add here except !!!!!!

good luck, all :)

If you are waiting to hear about Sri Lanka I e-mailed Cara and go this response:

Hi --,

I am hoping to send out notifications this week or early next week for Sri Lanka.

Thanks,

Cara

Cara G. Doble

Program Officer – Germany, South and Central Asia

U.S. Student Fulbright Programs

Hopefully our waiting will soon be at an end!!!

and I know someone who is planning to turn down their fulbright to Korea :) so good luck to you

Ooh, thanks for letting me know. To anyone else out there who's thinking about/ planning to turn down your Fulbright, I hope you all appreciate that you're making some alternate blissfully happy. And please don't dally once you've made your decision; the sooner you let the Fulbright people know, the sooner you've made some alternate's year.

Bangladeshers!!! shouldn't we be hearing today or tomorrow!? anyone else unraveling into a neurotic mess!?

Yes! I literally can't concentrate on anything (which is terrible because I have to teach in 10 minutes). I hope to hear something tomorrow. I found out from Cara today that my notification was sent to my temporary address, which is no longer valid. But, hopefully tomorrow one of us will have some news. I'm a tad surprised it's taking this long seeing as how notifications were sent out on Monday. Good luck, Juju!

I cannot get my mind off of the notification... Rereading the post, how can does Fulbright decide what notifications to send out? Why would certain notifications be sent out and others not? Different countries? Full versus ETA?

I cannot get my mind off of the notification... Rereading the post, how can does Fulbright decide what notifications to send out? Why would certain notifications be sent out and others not? Different countries? Full versus ETA?

I was wondering the same thing. I hope it's not that they sent out the acceptances one day, rejections another. seems like some countries have gone that way...