Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Received an alternate letter today for New Zealand. Pretty bummed, especially since it means more waiting. If there are 10 spots, up to 20 people could have been finalists. I am wondering how many are alternated versus rejected. Also, on the New Zealand Fulbright website it says that 12 people were chosen for awards in 2010, even though there were only 10 spots listed on the Fulbright website. So hopefully that means 2 alternates were offered spots after more funding came through. I'm hoping that will happen again, but it probably won't due to the recent turn American politics has taken.

I was wondering the same thing for the country I applied to about how many people could be alternate versus rejected. I would guess that it makes no sense for all of the extra recommended candidates to be alternate.

Any other Poland ETA applicants still waiting? I spoke with Rachel during the week of April 7th and she said they were waiting on word from Poland and hoping to send out the rest of the letters during the week of the 14th.

Any Russia ETAs receive their placement yet? Does anyone know when we should be hearing?

No, nothing yet. I emailed Oksana, since placements are done in Moscow but no word yet. Anyone want to email Rachel? I feel bad because I have been bombarding her with emails!

I was wondering the same thing for the country I applied to about how many people could be alternate versus rejected. I would guess that it makes no sense for all of the extra recommended candidates to be alternate.

It doesn't make sense for all the extra recommended candidates to be alternates....however, when it comes to being in an alternate position, less seems to make sense. There are supposed to be approximately 10 grants for Norway as well; meaning 15-20 recommended candidates. So far based on this forum, we've found 5 alternates for Norway and who knows how many more are alternates that are not on this forum....

I'm really proud of myself for making it to an alternate position and everyone else who is a finalist should feel just as proud. At the same time, it's really tough being an alternate and wondering when and if you will be moved up. But, it feels even worse when you focus on it. Sometimes you have to move on and maybe while you're busy with other things this spring/summer you will get the best email/phone call ever :)

No, nothing yet. I emailed Oksana, since placements are done in Moscow but no word yet. Anyone want to email Rachel? I feel bad because I have been bombarding her with emails!

I just e-mailed her, I'll let you know when I hear back from her what she says.

A long time lurker but first time poster. I emailed Cara last Friday regarding a time line for Tajikistan notifications and this was her response.

Hi --,

I am very sorry, but I don't know when we will be able to send out the notifications for Tajikistan. Due to the situation in Washington at the moment, we are waiting on final budget confirmations and country decisions for the Central Asia Region.

Thanks, and I wish I had more definitive news for you today.

Cara

Cara G. Doble

Program Officer - Germany, South and Central Asia

U.S. Student Fulbright Programs

Institute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017-3580

It looks like Central Asia has a while to go ........

Thanks for this info...even though this is terrible news for the Central Asia people.

A long time lurker but first time poster. I emailed Cara last Friday regarding a time line for Tajikistan notifications and this was her response.

Hi --,

I am very sorry, but I don't know when we will be able to send out the notifications for Tajikistan. Due to the situation in Washington at the moment, we are waiting on final budget confirmations and country decisions for the Central Asia Region.

Thanks, and I wish I had more definitive news for you today.

Cara

Cara G. Doble

Program Officer - Germany, South and Central Asia

U.S. Student Fulbright Programs

Institute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017-3580

It looks like Central Asia has a while to go ........

Does anybody know if the letters are sent first class or priority? priority is 3 to 5 days and first class is up to 7 days.

also I re-read the email that they sent finalist in January and it says:

"If you are selected for an award, you will receive notification of your status from the FSB. If you are named an alternate or are not selected, you will be notified by IIE."

Isn't Jermaine Jones an IIE Program Manager? Idk if we should be looking forward to mail from him after all. Where is FSB located?

Edited by Loli

Does anybody know if the letters are sent first class or priority? priority is 3 to 5 days and first class is up to 7 days.

also I re-read the email that they sent finalist in January and it says:

"If you are selected for an award, you will receive notification of your status from the FSB. If you are named an alternate or are not selected, you will be notified by IIE."

Isn't Jermaine Jones an IIE Program Manager? Idk if we should be looking forward to mail from him after all. Where is FSB located?

Mine came via first class mail. My experience with it is that cross-country mail usually takes 3-4 days, not 7.

Pretty sure my envelope came from IIE, but this was for Central America.

Any news on notification dates for Fulbrights to Japan? I'm eagerly awaiting those results.

Thanks!!

I emailed Jonathan Akeley back at the end of March and he said that they hoped letters would be mailed around mid April. Here's hoping they arrive sometime soon. I think things on the Japan-side have slowed considerably due to the earthquake/tsunami. I know that the Fulbright office in Tokyo had reduced their office hours for much of March. Good luck! Will you be doing research?

I have a question for everyone who's had their medical form completed already - did your doctor write anything in section 58? It's the part where they are supposed to comment on their "significant findings". I'm in really good health and she marked me as able to perform the lecture research stuff in the following section...but nothing in section 58. Is it worth a 4th trip back to my Dr's office to have this filled out before i send it to IIE?

When is Taiwan and Vietnam coming out with decision letters? I know a couple of people who are waiting

Akeley told me that Taiwan's "best case scenario would be that the letters would be sent out late next week." I received this email last week so Taiwan should be sent out late this week or early next week.

-Special K