Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Checked my mail today to find out that I'm an alternate for the Taiwan full grant. I suppose I'll be emailing to update the spreadsheet soon.

I'm glad that I have >0 chance to still get a Fulbright, but this lack of closure is a bit hard to handle... :(

Congrats to those who have been accepted. I truly believe that it'll be the opportunity of a lifetime.

AH! Just got notified of acceptance to Poland ETA!

Here's my info for the spread sheet:

ACCEPTED

Current Address

Postmark date: 4/20

Arrived: 4/25

Large Manila Envelope

Undergrad

Best of luck to everyone still waiting, I hope to see some of the other Poland ETA hopefuls IN POLAND!

-plum

Really? Did you receive yours yet? I haven't.

No, I haven't gotten anything. I'm on the west coast, in a metropolitan area, so I expect it any day. It seems like someone should have heard by now if it was really sent over a week ago...

Connecticut checking in! Just got word that I'll be kickin' in in Taiwan, teachin' kids English. YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH, snitchez!

ACCEPTED!

Current addy

Postmarked 4/21

Arrived 4/25

Large manila envelope

At large applicant, baby!

I'm pumped. Who's ready to 乾杯 (gan1bei1) in Taipei with me?! I'm accepting applications for my crew starting immediately! ;)

Good luck to the rest of y'all. Those still waiting, keep your heads up and stay busy. Peace.

Edited by 黑兔子

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I received an ETA for Taiwan--I'll be headed to Yilan county. There was a major malfunction with my mailing address--because I lived in a dorm building the post office voided my change of address form and my landlords accidentally sent my mail to another girl with the same last name as me. I haven't gotten my mail yet and I've been out of school 3 weeks--the girl who has my mail is supposed to forward it to me.

The last contact I had with anyone from the Fulbright people was an email with my E-ticket. Does anyone know if there's paper mail I'm missing? I'm going to call the NYC office tomorrow but I'm really anxious since I haven't heard anything in awhile and I've had this major mailing malfunction.

What idd you acceptance letter envelope look like?

CONGRATS!!!! that's fantastic! I'm still waiting on Tajikistan ETA...I live in D.C., so any day. I think my heart has fallen into my stomach...

Hi Central Asia folks--it finally came.

Accepted for a Full grant to Tajikistan, large manilla envelope arrived today, postmarked April 22.

Full grant to South Africa!

Spreadsheet name: Ryan B

method of notification: email (long story--they didn't mean to inform me by email but my letter never came and I got this email today saying "as you've already heard, you've been accepted. now here's some logistical info...")

PSYCHED!

Edited by nakasa

I am a candidate for the Fulbright to Japan 2011-2012. Has anyone heard anything?

I am also waiting. I called Johnathon Akeley about a week and a half ago and I think he said that they were hoping to send notices out by the end of the next week (which would have been last week). If they actually sent notices out, we should be getting them soon. I don't want to bug him again, but you might want to call/email to see if they have been sent out.

Edited by Lustforlife

I am a candidate for the Fulbright to Japan 2011-2012. Has anyone heard anything?

I'm also a Fulbright Japan candidate and I haven't heard much. I emailed J. Akeley last week and he responded with a standard message about the impossibility of predicating when notifications would be sent out and his hopes that they would be in the mail by the end of the month. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Since we seem to be the only three people interested in Japan, I thought I would drop a load of questions on y'all. Where are you hoping to be placed? Grad or undergrad? Did you apply for any other grants/fellowships?

I'm a grad hoping to do research on modern Japanese history. I am currently in Nagoya, but my home university is in the Chicago area. After an eternity of waiting I found out that I'm an alternate for the Japan Foundation, possibly awarded a JSPS short-term grant, and we all know how the Fulbright is going.

uggghhhhhh....Petty was right, "the waiting is the hardest part."

Edited by ModJpn

I have been offered a Japan Foundation dissertation fellowship for next year but would like to know the outcome of my applications for the Fulbright IIE and Fulbright-Hays before formally deciding between the options. I am at the University of Kansas where I work on premodern Japanese history -- the plan is for me to go ABD by the end of summer.

My friends who work on Eastern Europe have already been notified about their Fulbrights, so I am just wondering how much longer we will have to wait!

Are you are JET in Nagoya? Or are you studying abroad through Northwestern? Where are you in your program?

Ah, congratulations. The remaining Central Asia applicants should receive notice imminently. Here's my info:

Kazakhstan - accepted

Temp. Mail, received 4/25

Large Manila

Hi Central Asia folks--it finally came.

Accepted for a Full grant to Tajikistan, large manilla envelope arrived today, postmarked April 22.

I have been offered a Japan Foundation dissertation fellowship for next year but would like to know the outcome of my applications for the Fulbright IIE and Fulbright-Hays before formally deciding between the options. I am at the University of Kansas where I work on premodern Japanese history -- the plan is for me to go ABD by the end of summer.

My friends who work on Eastern Europe have already been notified about their Fulbrights, so I am just wondering how much longer we will have to wait!

Are you are JET in Nagoya? Or are you studying abroad through Northwestern? Where are you in your program?

Congrats on the Japan Foundation grant! When do you have to make your final decision? I have until the end of May to accept the JSPS, but I might not be able to decline if the uni here in Nagoya goes much further in the process. I spoke with a Fulbright grantee from last year and he received his letter in mid-to-late March...which makes it that much more frustrating this year. I've emailed Akeley twice in the last two months and I don't want to be too annoying, but please do let me know if you hear anything.

I'm ABD in the Northwestern History department and now doing some preliminary research on my diss. project (and beefing up my language ability). I chose Nagoya because there is a prof here that I wanted to work with, but I plan to make frequent trips to the Tokyo/Yokohama area. This year I'm on a fellowship from Northwestern, but the funding is a bit limited...especially if you calculate the dollar-to-yen exchange these days. YIKES.

Mobgof, good luck. If you get it, let's talk, since our projects are in similar areas.

CONGRATS!!!! that's fantastic! I'm still waiting on Tajikistan ETA...I live in D.C., so any day. I think my heart has fallen into my stomach...

Thanks, I'll be doing the same! Do let me know if you hear anything. I'm hoping for the best for both of us and praying that it doesn't involve much longer of a wait!

I got a grant to Sweden! Just received the big manila envelope today :)

I am also waiting. I called Johnathon Akeley about a week and a half ago and I think he said that they were hoping to send notices out by the end of the next week (which would have been last week). If they actually sent notices out, we should be getting them soon. I don't want to bug him again, but you might want to call/email to see if they have been sent out.

I'm also waiting on Japan. I got an email from Jonathan today saying they hoped to get them out this week or next, so it looks like it'll be a while longer.