Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Good luck everyone with the MENA region... I too am glad to see Morocco on the list. C'mon UAE... I'm not even on the spreadsheet with my Bahrain waiting friends...

Gah! Thanks for posting this Qahara. I'm hoping against hope that since Morocco notifications have been sent out that means the Middle East floodgates have been opened and we'll find out soon...

Well May's just around the corner! Maybe I should go finish my thesis :huh:

I just found this forum. I am also waiting on Egypt for a full grant...My friend is currently on a Fulbright in Egypt and didn't hear until June last year. I'm hoping not to wait that long!

Hi Abyrne! I'm a finalist for a full grant to Egypt too! What's your research in?

I was reading this same forum for last year and people who just found out for the plain old full grant found out in May, ETAs and the language grant people found out later. I will be really, really sad if we have to wait until June. Must stop obsessing about this. Hope you're more patient than I am :)

Edited by Ranita

I can answer this question... sort of.

Basically, Title VI became part of the Budget cluster-f*** only a week before Congress voted on the Budget; in other words, about 9 days ago. Fulbright Hays and Fulbright IIE are both sort of tied up with Title VI funding (or something... can anyone clarify this relationship?)

Are you sure about this? I didn't think TItle VI affects us. From what I know, Fulbright grants come through the ECA section of the State Department which is a different funding stream than Fulbright-Hays and Title VI (through the Department of Education). I know that the budget request for Fulbright was pretty much the same as it was last year (thanks Obama) but I don't know what actually passed Congress. Neither the White House or DoS pages have any details about how the funding is being passed along.

Edited by siuse

Ohmygoodness! This makes me so happy, we claremont folk get around! What classes did you take at Scripps?

I'm still in the thick of it. This is an eventful week for me, since not only did Fulbright come through, but I'm turning in my thesis tomorrow! Whew! I'm so excited to sleep...

yeah we do! I took mostly italian classes but a few others as well...but that was way back in 2003! Turning that thesis in is going to feel soooo gooood

I did some more digging and found what the appropriation for ECA (the Bureau overseeing Fulbright) is from here

2vxlp8k.jpg

For reference this is what the request was

332xl77.jpg

So it is a cut of something like 5% for the entire bureau. But I don't think it's certain right now how much of that cut will affect the Fulbright Program, so I guess that's being hashed out right now? I have no idea.

Edited by siuse

Hi Abyrne! I'm a finalist for a full grant to Egypt too! What's your research in?

I was reading this same forum for last year and people who just found out for the plain old full grant found out in May, ETAs and the language grant people found out later. I will be really, really sad if we have to wait until June. Must stop obsessing about this. Hope you're more patient than I am :)

Generally, my research will be in the future of urban development in Cairo, and how the urban space has affected the society in the 20th/21st century. I am obsessing too. My friend is doing a language grant, so maybe that's why she found out so late. What is your research in?

Edited by abyrne

Found out on Tuesday that I got the ETA in Morocco!

Notification date: April 19

postmark: April 15

notification method: large manila envelope with medical stuff in it, too

Congratulations to everyone else!!!

congrats to you! Its great to see so many people getting accepted. For the rest of you MENA-ers still waiting, hang in there!!!!

Hi guys, I haven't been reading all the threads, but I'm an ETA finalist for turkey and got an email from Rachel the other day. Apparently she doesn't think any kind of notification for turkey will go out before the end of this month at the earliest, so...we'll be waiting for a while. Best of luck to all.

Out of curiosity, how much time passed between your email to Rachel and her response (This can be answered by other people who have emailed her as well)? I emailed her asking about Turkey notification on April 2nd (three weeks ago) and haven't heard back. I'm not impatient, and I know there are more pressing issues for her than my question, but I am concerned that a non-response might suggest there's something wrong with my application and I'm no longer in the running or something. Maybe that's silly, but at six months into the process I'm starting to entertain worst-case scenarios.

Thanks,

TheIowan

Out of curiosity, how much time passed between your email to Rachel and her response (This can be answered by other people who have emailed her as well)? I emailed her asking about Turkey notification on April 2nd (three weeks ago) and haven't heard back. I'm not impatient, and I know there are more pressing issues for her than my question, but I am concerned that a non-response might suggest there's something wrong with my application and I'm no longer in the running or something. Maybe that's silly, but at six months into the process I'm starting to entertain worst-case scenarios.

Thanks,

TheIowan

The next business day. Maybe your email got spammed. She responds very quickly

I'm a candidate for Poland, awoz, and I haven't heard from them. There are four finalists from my school, and two of them - Bangladesh ETA and Mexico Business - heard yesterday. This promptly sent me and the other candidate (Egypt) into a frenzy. I plan to call tomorrow if they are open to ask how long.

I got an email from Rachel today saying they were mailed out Wednesday. :/ Nothing in my mailbox today, so either tomorrow or Monday. I'm going nuts, considering some ppl got accepted in March. Who knows how many others got accepted then that aren't on this forum.

Edited by awoz

I got an email from Rachel today saying they were mailed out Wednesday. :/ Nothing in my mailbox today, so either tomorrow or Monday. I'm going nuts, considering some ppl got accepted in March. Who knows how many others got accepted then that aren't on this forum.

One thing you can do to get an idea of when the letter should be arriving is plug in your information here:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Although you cannot adjust the calendar to a past date, you can change the mailing date to a certain day of the week to figure out when the letter is 'supposed' to arrive. Once you get to the page that displays all the shipping options, click on the First-Class Mail option and it should display what the 'expected' delivery date is. Hope this helps!

Edited by jg33

Thelowan,

I e-mailed Rachel on April 12 and she just got back to me today (so ten days!). I also e-mailed her in early April, but never heard back. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your application. She's probably just busy with e-mails and only responds when she has actual news to give. I'm pretty sure the reason she finally got back to me today is because notifications for my country were sent out on Wednesday.

Anyways, hopefully you will not have to wait much longer for notification!

Also, to the other ETA finalist for Malta letters were sent out this Wednesday!!!

Thanks,

TheIowan

Edited by laalaa7

The next business day. Maybe your email got spammed. She responds very quickly

Thank you. After reading this, I re-sent and heard back within two hours. Ha.

For any Turkey lurkers (which was me until this afternoon), still no news. She said they haven't received any selections from Turkey yet and therefore it's "difficult to predict when we'll be able to make final notifications."

These are just my thoughts now, but hearing that on April 22nd makes it seem pretty likely that the earliest we'll hear is the same time as last year (the middle of May). Given the added logistics of assigning placements for all the new ETA positions this year, I'm putting my money on even later.

TheIowan

Congrats!! We have a couple of the Morocco Fulbrighters on a separate thread, if you're interested I'll add you on..

Found out on Tuesday that I got the ETA in Morocco!

Notification date: April 19

postmark: April 15

notification method: large manila envelope with medical stuff in it, too

Congratulations to everyone else!!!

Talked to J Akeley, apparently Australia letters have been sent out.

so people are hearing from/talking to Jonathan personally via e-mail or phone? Wonder if any Vietnam applicants have done this? So curious to know they're actually out yet