Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

China applicants:

Would anyone care to ping Jonathan about whether letters are out or will be out by the end of the week?

I just e-mailed him today, and this was his response:

"It's not possible to predict exactly when the final results will become available, but we're hoping that the final notification letters for China will go out by the end of April or the first week of May."

Could you e-mail him again tomorrow or Friday this week? Thanks!

Are there any Italy people lurking out there? Maybe you are shy and want to email me directly, I'd love to know anyone headed there too - khkirby at sbcglobal.net

ETA applicant here; we've spoken before. Though you all (Full grantees) were notified a while ago, we have yet to have receive anything. When someone had posted that the Italian letters were sent out, I assumed that included the ETAs but I was wrong. Someone else called and Rachel said that decisions had not been made yet and it would be quite some time before we'd be notified. The lesson to be learned here is patience. We are still in limbo.

Hey all,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My mind is now at ease.

Julian, my forms were in the hands of my doctor. She was supposed to have sent them last week, but didn't because she wanted to get in contact with me first. I'm hoping she sent them yesterday.

I've also found out that I've been placed in Hessen somewhere. Which is sort of a bummer because I've been in that area so much already! Oh well. I'm still excited! :lol:

I lived in Kassel for three months and I liked Hessen. Isn't Frankfurt in Hessen? At least you're close to the transportation hub of Germany! And since you've already been around there, you can visit me in Bonn!

Thanks, same to you!

I did apply for the CLEA but I haven't heard anything about that yet. What about you?

I can't wait to meet you and the rest of the Taiwan folks in DC this summer biggrin.gif

Another Taiwaner here!!! Anyone know WHEN orientation actually is? I am having a seriously hard time pinning that info down lol. I applied for a CLEA too, no word back yet..I'm crossing my fingers for all of us!! Very excited to meet you guys too :)

You can download the info here: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_regions_world.html

But I'm sure they'll be letting us know more information after our medical clearance is complete.

Another Taiwaner here!!! Anyone know WHEN orientation actually is? I am having a seriously hard time pinning that info down lol. I applied for a CLEA too, no word back yet..I'm crossing my fingers for all of us!! Very excited to meet you guys too :)

Hey Everyone.

I think I just got the China Fulbright fellowship but I'm not sure.....

I received a small (thank you note sized) letter in the mail today from my University with my name, the words "Fulbright Fellowship" and "Congratulations" on the inside. Does that Mean I got it?

I want to be excited, but I expected a bigger letter with some instructions or something. I also expected it to come from the Fulbright program itself not my University.

Is this the same response everyone else received? Or is my University just messing with my emotions ....

Has anyone else heard back from China?

James

I was wondering that too... although my Fulbright proposal in for UAE- and the United Arab Emirates has seen no problems this year....

You should "pick UAE" lulu ;-)

I know I've mentioned it before. Something tells me it will likely be till June wait time still for some MENA regions.

لا أعرف لكن وآمل أن نسمع منهم قريبا

Have any other MENA ETA applicants heard anything about changing countries?

Hey Everyone.

I think I just got the China Fulbright fellowship but I'm not sure.....

I received a small (thank you note sized) letter in the mail today from my University with my name, the words "Fulbright Fellowship" and "Congratulations" on the inside. Does that Mean I got it?

I want to be excited, but I expected a bigger letter with some instructions or something. I also expected it to come from the Fulbright program itself not my University.

Is this the same response everyone else received? Or is my University just messing with my emotions ....

Has anyone else heard back from China?

James

Wow... that's... interesting. I'm not a China applicant, but I do know that your school is not notified of your Fulbright acceptance/rejection--only you will know, and it will come from IIE/Fulbright. The acceptance letter generally comes in a large manila envelope and will have all the official letters and the medical clearance form.

According to the terms and conditions on the website:

Grantees are required to attend any orientation program in the United States conducted for them whileen route to their country or region of assignment and to attend any orientation program conducted for

them in the host country or region. Expenses related to such attendance are not compensated for in

addition to the fixed sum of the grant. Only if grantees and/or dependents are required to attend an

orientation program before beginning their trip abroad will they receive a separate orientation

allowance.

So, since the DC trip is a month prior to when we're actually leaving, I would say that it is probably going to be paid for. Once again, I'm hoping that they'll be giving us more info soon.

This might be a silly question... do you know if the DC trip is all paid for?

Thanks so much! Just wish that they sent all the information along with the acceptance letter...

According to the terms and conditions on the website:

Grantees are required to attend any orientation program in the United States conducted for them whileen route to their country or region of assignment and to attend any orientation program conducted for

them in the host country or region. Expenses related to such attendance are not compensated for in

addition to the fixed sum of the grant. Only if grantees and/or dependents are required to attend an

orientation program before beginning their trip abroad will they receive a separate orientation

allowance.

So, since the DC trip is a month prior to when we're actually leaving, I would say that it is probably going to be paid for. Once again, I'm hoping that they'll be giving us more info soon.

This might be a silly question... do you know if the DC trip is all paid for?

I just got an email about this today for Western Hemisphere.

The costs associated with your transportation from your current U.S. residence to Washington, DC, as well as your hotel accommodations for the duration of the orientation will be covered by the U.S. Department of State. Upon arrival at the hotel, you will also receive a travel allowance of $100 and a stipend to pay for any meals that are not offered during the orientation. All travel (flight and train) arrangements to the PDO must be made through the orientation travel agent. Instructions for making those reservations are available on the orientation website,

That email has put a monkey wrench in my summer plans since I was planning to do a FLAS program abroad before taking up the Fulbright. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do since the language course won't be offered next summer. I definitely can't afford to fly myself to DC and back and the email I sent late last week to the PDO has not been answered. I think I'll be calling them in the morning.

You are so helpful! Thank you so much. I really hope you can get in touch with them ASAP!

I just got an email about this today for Western Hemisphere.

The costs associated with your transportation from your current U.S. residence to Washington, DC, as well as your hotel accommodations for the duration of the orientation will be covered by the U.S. Department of State. Upon arrival at the hotel, you will also receive a travel allowance of $100 and a stipend to pay for any meals that are not offered during the orientation. All travel (flight and train) arrangements to the PDO must be made through the orientation travel agent. Instructions for making those reservations are available on the orientation website,

That email has put a monkey wrench in my summer plans since I was planning to do a FLAS program abroad before taking up the Fulbright. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do since the language course won't be offered next summer. I definitely can't afford to fly myself to DC and back and the email I sent late last week to the PDO has not been answered. I think I'll be calling them in the morning.

I didn't get my medical clearance yet, I'll be doing that next week. I also applied for a CLEA and I hope we find out soon because I selected the option of starting the summer before we teach, so that would be in July I'm assuming and is quite soon!

So excited to meet everyone! We should start a Facebook group biggrin.gif

You can download the info here: http://us.fulbrighto...ions_world.html

But I'm sure they'll be letting us know more information after our medical clearance is complete.

I would like to ask a question regarding obtaining information on alternate lists.

I don't know about the timeline other than what they say in the letter, but Cara informed me that there are 17 alternates for the full grant to India. Which makes me not so optimistic about my chances, so I'm putting it out of mind and moving on. It'd be a little easier if I knew what position I was on that list, but of course they refuse to provide any information that actually matters.

I just heard from Cara that there are 14 alternates for India. When did she say 17? I wonder if 3 have been upgraded...?

I asked Jermaine Jones about obtaining information on the amount of alternates and I was informed that it was against IIE/Fulbright policy to get information on your placement on the alternate list or to get info on the total number of alternates. How can I get this information? Why is this distributed to some but not others?

Added:

I've seen in previous Fulbright discussions ~1/3 of the alternates get a spot. Is this information still applicable for this year regarding the budget concerns in Washington?

Edited by qpm

Calling all headed to Poland! if you're interested in joining a facebook group for Poland Fulbrighters (both ETAs and research grant recipients), message me individually!

and good luck to everyone still waiting!