Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering about that.

For anyone wondering about visas and plane tickets:

You will receive more information shortly regarding issues such as the visa application procedures and travel policies, but don’t buy any tickets yet. That’s something to take care of once your visa has been approved.

Regards,

Jonathan

For anyone wondering about visas and plane tickets:

You will receive more information shortly regarding issues such as the visa application procedures and travel policies, but don’t buy any tickets yet. That’s something to take care of once your visa has been approved.

Regards,

Jonathan

That's weird, i was under the impression that your visa application had to include proof of your flight dates, and also that you had the funds in place to return, or that you already had a return ticket. (I'm sure it varies by country)

That's weird, i was under the impression that your visa application had to include proof of your flight dates, and also that you had the funds in place to return, or that you already had a return ticket. (I'm sure it varies by country)

Ja that varies, and additionally I'd think the respective governments would make an exception to these rules. At the very least IIE likely has an agreement with them showing that they'll eventually ship you out. :P

This from Jermaine Jones today:

All I can say is that I hope to have the hard copy notification letters for you and the other candidates recommended for the West Bank in the mail later this week.

I wonder if this means that all MENA notifications are being released? Anyone else want to email him?

Congrats! Ran out to the mailman and saw his manila envelope, then the horror that it looked small, then realized it was not from Fulbright at all, nor was any of the other mail. I guess not all the East Coast will be hearing today. Good luck everyone still waiting! Have a chinese exam tomorrow, so won't be hearing till afterwards, suppose i can concentrate better now! Very happy for you and tilu : )

Just found out I got a full grant to China! I'm in CT so the mail from NY probably gets here fast, but fellow China applicants should be hearing very soon!

Accepted for a Full Grant to China!!!! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

Do you or any other people who have been informed about China know the official postmark date?

To my fellow Taiwan peeps,

Taiwan sent me something by courier today. Unfortunately, they sent it to my old address. I guess it will come here tomorrow. Keep your heads up for something!

Edited by 黑兔子

Got my letter today!!!!

Japan

Full Grant, Undergrad (in political science)

Postmarked: 4/26/11

Received: 4/30/11

Current Address

So excited!!!

CONGRATS!!!! Where will you be located?

---This wait is making me crazy.

Have any grads heard anything from J Akeley on when we might receive word regarding Japan research grants?

So this may have already been covered at some point but does anyone have an idea how ETA placement works? Do you have to wait for medical clearance before they let you know what city you'll be placed in? I'm sure it varies a bit by country but can anyone who has already gotten their placement give me a general timeline of how long it took them to get back to you?

What do we have to do specifically for our medical clearance to Taiwan?

I went today to get all my shots and stuff but I am paranoid that I forgot something. Any ideas Taiwan ETAs?

Hey Special K,

I didn't know that they asked for shots.... I thought it was just the medical clearance (blood test and TB)...

Edit: Oh and I saw that you're in PHX? I'm in Mesa =) and I got placed in Kaohsiung.

What do we have to do specifically for our medical clearance to Taiwan?

I went today to get all my shots and stuff but I am paranoid that I forgot something. Any ideas Taiwan ETAs?

Edited by Prince38xiaS

CONGRATS!!!! Where will you be located?

---This wait is making me crazy.

Have any grads heard anything from J Akeley on when we might receive word regarding Japan research grants?

I just received notification that I received the award for Japan.

Full Grant (Graduate Student)

Postmarked - April 26, 2011

Received - May 2, 2011

Received at current address.

Best of luck to all who are still waiting.

I just received notification that I received the award for Japan.

Full Grant (Graduate Student)

Postmarked - April 26, 2011

Received - May 2, 2011

Received at current address.

Best of luck to all who are still waiting.

That's awesome!! Congratulations. Nice to hear that the wait is (hopefully) almost over. In what field will you be conducting your research?

Hey Special K,

I didn't know that they asked for shots.... I thought it was just the medical clearance (blood test and TB)...

Edit: Oh and I saw that you're in PHX? I'm in Mesa =) and I got placed in Kaohsiung.

I am Kaohsiung too! I just opened up my package literally thirty seconds ago.

We should meet up. Here is my email ajkarst@gmail.com.

-Special K

That's awesome!! Congratulations. Nice to hear that the wait is (hopefully) almost over. In what field will you be conducting your research?

Thanks, it certainly feels good. I'll be doing research in modern Japan history and I am going to affiliate at Waseda. If you're planning on being in the Tokyo area, you should sign up for the email list for the Waseda Modern Japanese History Workshop. It's a monthly meeting where (mostly foreign) graduate students present their research.

Anyone else going to the Western Hemisphere PDO for full grant recipients? I'm hoping to maybe find a GradCafe-r to room with...

Also, anyone know when we hear about how much we'll get paid on a full grant or when we get information on how to get our visa?

Got my letter today. Designated as an alternate for Mongolia :-(

For the spreadsheet, I'm listed as SS under Mongolia.

Received: April 29. 2011

Post-mark: April 26, 2011

Current Address

Small white envelope from the IIE

I received a small whie envelope from the IIE. Didn't get anything. No grant, no alternate status. No Mongolia for me!

Received: April 29, 2011

Postmarked: April 26, 2011 (I think)

Home Address

Time to apply for a real job now...

All those heading to Mongolia... have fun!

I'm sorry to hear that :-(

I received a small whie envelope from the IIE. Didn't get anything. No grant, no alternate status. No Mongolia for me!

Received: April 29, 2011

Postmarked: April 26, 2011 (I think)

Home Address

Time to apply for a real job now...

All those heading to Mongolia... have fun!

I wonder if this means that all MENA notifications are being released? Anyone else want to email him?

I emailed Jermaine about Egypt last week and he said that they basically have no idea when the Egyptian government will give clearance.

Anyone know anything about CLEA? I asked a friend who did Fulbright last year and she said she knew before finding out about her FB (in April!). Does that mean if I haven't heard about the CLEA then I didn't get it?