Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I sent an email to the IIE for East Asia and the Pacific last week and have still not heard back from him. I don't know if I should take this as a good or bad sign? Do you think I should try getting in touch with him over the phone?

You're talking about Jonathan Akeley, right? Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I emailed him on Friday about something inconsequential (I wanted to make sure that any notifications would come to my current address rather than my permanent address), and he got back to me first thing Monday morning. So he is responding to email; maybe he hasn't gotten to yours yet?

It is possible that he responded to my email so quickly because it was a really easy question... if you're asking him about deadlines, he might be dependent on someone else for answers?

You're talking about Jonathan Akeley, right? Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I emailed him on Friday about something inconsequential (I wanted to make sure that any notifications would come to my current address rather than my permanent address), and he got back to me first thing Monday morning. So he is responding to email; maybe he hasn't gotten to yours yet?

It is possible that he responded to my email so quickly because it was a really easy question... if you're asking him about deadlines, he might be dependent on someone else for answers?

Yes, that is him. Maybe I will try resending the email tonight, I asked him what kind of medical information is needed because I am leaving the country for a month and want to make sure that I have everything prepare just in case. Where have you applied to and have you heard any news yet?

Yes, that is him. Maybe I will try resending the email tonight, I asked him what kind of medical information is needed because I am leaving the country for a month and want to make sure that I have everything prepare just in case. Where have you applied to and have you heard any news yet?

I applied for an ETA in Thailand, and am still waiting to hear back. Trying to be patient... kind of failing a little, though :)

According to the 2010-2011 magic spreadsheet (https://spreadsheets...Ow6bHdhYA#gid=0), it seems like last years' Vietnam applicants heard around the end of March, which is... nowish. So hopefully you will hear soon about your award status? If he doesn't respond to your second email, I'd give him a call... the medical stuff seems like the sort of thing you want to stay on top of!

I wonder if some of this delay has to do with the budget for next fiscal year not being approved by Congress. I mean the State Department's budget still needs to be approved, along with other departments. Similar conversations are happening in the NSF and NDSEG forums about this. And it may/may not be the case. But in terms of the April 15th deadline, remember that federal budgets/appropriations/grants/fellowships don't coincide with academic requirements. The gov't can do whatever they want (i.e. what's happening now). I know it's unfortunate that certain plans may not exactly work out, but just be patient and work with what you've got. Also, keep your options open to the best extent possible!

My understanding is that a good chunk of the budget for Fulbright IIE comes from the individual countries' Fulbright committees (the budget for Hays is different). This is why different countries offer different levels of remuneration. There might be fewer staff at the Fulbright Scholarship Board, which would slow down approval on that end, but I do not think that the budget for our programs is in jeopardy.

Any of my other fellow Norwegian hopefuls on here get their letters or emails today? Good to know they are sending out emails as well this year.

I called Rachel today by the way and she said only "some letters" went out on Friday, about half of them, and she could not say when the next ones would be going out... I am not sure I totally understand how some decisions are available and others are not? Anyone have any insight/experience/thoughts on this.

Well at this point I am feeling pretty hopeless since I did not get an email from the Norway office today, because I cannot imagine why they would send out emails on different dates. But I guess I will remain hopeful until a small white envelope shows up in my mailbox. haha

I applied for an ETA in Thailand, and am still waiting to hear back. Trying to be patient... kind of failing a little, though :)

According to the 2010-2011 magic spreadsheet (https://spreadsheets...Ow6bHdhYA#gid=0), it seems like last years' Vietnam applicants heard around the end of March, which is... nowish. So hopefully you will hear soon about your award status? If he doesn't respond to your second email, I'd give him a call... the medical stuff seems like the sort of thing you want to stay on top of!

mthedoor: Stay in touch with me if you and I both receive grants. I would like to visit Thailand while I am away and you would be more than welcome to visit Vietnam and stay with me as well.

Anyone from Norway hear today?! They sent "some of them" out on Friday so maybe someone will get it today? I don't think mine was sent out Friday, becasue from New York to Miami should have arrived today.. sigh :( the wait continues! Rachel also said she does not know when the next batch will be sent out for Norway.. not sure what the delay is, if some are decided, why aren't the others? very weird, and this whole process seems to be very delayed based on how it went the past two years!

Good luck to everyone! And Congrats to all who have recieved notification these past two days!

I haven't received anything either. Although I am further from NY than you are....

It is just so disappointing how they are coming out so much later this year. :(

I haven't received anything either. Although I am further from NY than you are....

It is just so disappointing how they are coming out so much later this year. :(

I know :( I totally agree.. well we hopefully will hear something tomorrow or thursday.. fingers crossed! At this point I just want to hear either way so I can either jump for joy or move on with my life and put plan B into action haha!

I was just laughing to myself because most of the MENA people are quiet on the forum. I think we've all resigned ourselves to the fact that we're not going to hear for a looong time. :P So now we're just sitting back and observing everyone else's trials and tribulations. Good luck to everyone!

I know :( I totally agree.. well we hopefully will hear something tomorrow or thursday.. fingers crossed! At this point I just want to hear either way so I can either jump for joy or move on with my life and put plan B into action haha!

I didn't get an email either... Now I wish I hadn't said earlier in the thread that they would send email notifications, because when you don't get one when you know now to expect one, it just makes you feel like you didn't get the grant. AHH...

Are there any other Norway applicants out there who want to report their status??

I didn't get an email either... Now I wish I hadn't said earlier in the thread that they would send email notifications, because when you don't get one when you know now to expect one, it just makes you feel like you didn't get the grant. AHH...

Are there any other Norway applicants out there who want to report their status??

Yes, would love to hear from the other Norway applicants on the spreadsheet! Do you think they sent out all the emails today or there is still a chance we could get something in the upcoming days...? Ahh the uncertainty is killing me!

I'm also a finalist ETA for Germany (new here, hi!) and haven't heard anything. Just e-mailed Cara today and she said:

"

Hello,

IIE/Fulbright does not have a timeline we can provide, as we are currently in the waiting phase: 1) country decisions 2) Fulbright Scholarship Board (FSB) approval on all recommended applications and 3) ECA (State Department) approvals on budgets.

IIE/Fulbright cannot send out any notification information until we have all three of these in our office, and I am not able to predict when exactly this will happen.

At this time, we truly appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Cara"

Pooping myself. Let's hope we find out soon!

Nicole

That stinks! That makes it sounds like Germany is WAY behind in their decision making... wish I knew what step they were on! This waiting is killer.....

Yes, would love to hear from the other Norway applicants on the spreadsheet! Do you think they sent out all the emails today or there is still a chance we could get something in the upcoming days...? Ahh the uncertainty is killing me!

I think they are sending out the emails as they received notification from 1) the country, 2) FSB and 3) the State Department. I heard that they need approval from these three different places and that is why some people may hear back quicker than others. I'm not sure how I should feel about not receiving an email because when I look at the spreadsheet from last year, there are examples where some people who applied to the same country receive acceptance notification through email while some from letters. (one that stands out is Switzerland )

Did Rachel specify whether there were still acceptance letters to be sent or are all the remaining letters supposed to be rejection/alternates?

Stay tough!!

I think they are sending out the emails as they received notification from 1) the country, 2) FSB and 3) the State Department. I heard that they need approval from these three different places and that is why some people may hear back quicker than others. I'm not sure how I should feel about not receiving an email because when I look at the spreadsheet from last year, there are examples where some people who applied to the same country receive acceptance notification through email while some from letters. (one that stands out is Switzerland )

Did Rachel specify whether there were still acceptance letters to be sent or are all the remaining letters supposed to be rejection/alternates?

Stay tough!!

Yea, I have not given up hope for us yet :) She did no say, I asked her and she made it sound like there was no particular order in which they were being sent out and that they did not have all the decisions certified at that moment. She would not really clarify so it is hard to say!

I actually had a small white envelope in my mailbox and the moment I saw it I was so sad, and then it turned out to be a letter from my school haha so there is still hope until a rejection comes! but man oh man I would love to have gotten one of those emails today!!

That stinks! That makes it sounds like Germany is WAY behind in their decision making... wish I knew what step they were on! This waiting is killer.....

I sort of think it's a form letter though, because she didn't answer all of my points in my first e-mail or address me personally. Totally understandable, as I'm sure she gets the same question 1,000 times a day right about now, but means they could have completed any number of these steps already...hopefully not that behind? Regardless, I was expected something this week and am starting to feel more like it'll be next.

Also, for those worried about cut spending, this seems relevant:

http://www.fulbright.org/about-us/news/three-week-continuing-resolution-passed

Looks like everyone's safe except those who applied to Ireland, though maybe this is somewhat to blame for the delay? I don't really understand the whole process enough to really say though...

I was just laughing to myself because most of the MENA people are quiet on the forum. I think we've all resigned ourselves to the fact that we're not going to hear for a looong time. :PSo now we're just sitting back and observing everyone else's trials and tribulations. Good luck to everyone!

Yep. We've got at least 1.5 months or so to go...maybe even longer! Gah. I love living vicariously through everyone else though. Good luck and congrats to all!

The good news for us Egypt applicants is that they finally let this year's Fulbrighter's back in the country, so that's a good sign...

Interesting Ireland did not get funding. Wonder what reason was?

Also, for those worried about cut spending, this seems relevant:

http://www.fulbright...solution-passed

Looks like everyone's safe except those who applied to Ireland, though maybe this is somewhat to blame for the delay? I don't really understand the whole process enough to really say though...

So is it the current or permanent mailing address? I applied to Korea ETA Program and so far one of my classmates who applied to India was rejected :(

So is it the current or permanent mailing address? I applied to Korea ETA Program and so far one of my classmates who applied to India was rejected :(

The email from Mr. Akeley says "Notification letters are sent to the Current Addresses, so if yours is up to date then there shouldn't be any delays."

Best of luck :)

The email from Mr. Akeley says "Notification letters are sent to the Current Addresses, so if yours is up to date then there shouldn't be any delays."

Best of luck :)

Thanks lol and you responded pretty quickly :D. I am nervous but yet excited because I am dying to know if I am going to Korea this year. Which country did you apply to?