Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I am also anxiously awaiting news from Norway. I just emailed Rachel and will let you know as soon as I hear back from her. Hopefully we all hear soon! I can't imagine why they would have such a discrepancy between notification dates.

Ah! Thank you for letting me know, please let me know what she says!! Impatiently waiting over here, as I must tell graduate schools yes/no very soon :(

Anyone else for Central America/the Caribbean?

Yay more Central America/Caribbean ppl!!! tongue.gif

I'm waiting to hear from Guatemala ...

Last year someone got their letter on the 29th.

But it seems like this year we will have to wait a bit more.

Let's hope it gets here soon!

All Central America/Caribbean ppl please add info in the spreadsheet if you hear back.

Thanks!

Ah! Thank you for letting me know, please let me know what she says!! Impatiently waiting over here, as I must tell graduate schools yes/no very soon :(

Ok, I just heard back about the Norwegian Fulbright notifications. Rachel said that "the next group of letters will likely be sent within the next week." She did not answer any of my questions regarding why some people were sent letters last Friday and others were not. I guess we'll all have to wait a while longer. This is so frustrating!

Hi! I emailed Cara Wolinsky, the Program Manager, in early March about the notification timeline. She said it would be at least a month before letters would be mailed out because each CA country has to come to a consensus about their respective applicants before State makes the final decision. We should hear fairly soon, but you can always email her to confirm...she has been quite prompt in responding.

--Panama Full Grant Applicant

I applied for a full grant to the DR! maybe we could end up there together :) I haven't heard anything either, but will post as soon as I do. Good luck!!!! (also, have you tried contacting the central american/caribbean person for info on when we can expect to hear?)

Ok, I just heard back about the Norwegian Fulbright notifications. Rachel said that "the next group of letters will likely be sent within the next week." She did not answer any of my questions regarding why some people were sent letters last Friday and others were not. I guess we'll all have to wait a while longer. This is so frustrating!

Ah thanks so much for getting back to me! Oh wow, this is so frustrating! I am really getting fed up with this whole process and am not really understanding why there is such a lack of communication when questions are asked, I also asked her a similar question and she also dodged it. It would really make life a lot easier if they could send out notification via email so you can start planning for it/and or for other things if you did not get it and move on! I am so distracted by this process and not understanding what the big delay is this year :(:( I hate to complain so much but I feel like this is very long and drawn out!

Thanks for the update! Good luck to you :) I will post here as soon as I get anything! :)

By the way, sidenote: I love your username KarlJohan, it reminds me of Karl Johans gate in Oslo, one of my favorite streets in the world :)

Edited by Norway2011

Ah thanks so much for getting back to me! Oh wow, this is so frustrating! I am really getting fed up with this whole process and am not really understanding why there is such a lack of communication when questions are asked, I also asked her a similar question and she also dodged it. It would really make life a lot easier if they could send out notification via email so you can start planning for it/and or for other things if you did not get it and move on! I am so distracted by this process and not understanding what the big delay is this year :(:( I hate to complain so much but I feel like this is very long and drawn out!

Thanks for the update! Good luck to you :) I will post here as soon as I get anything! :)

i'm SO frustrated too. Yesterday I went home between classes to check the mail, and when I didn't get anything I got really frustrated. I was in a pretty bad mood about it all day yesterday! I'm really distracted by it too (seems to be all I can think about). All I want is the yes/no answer so I can plan accordingly...the waiting game is driving me crazy.

i'm SO frustrated too. Yesterday I went home between classes to check the mail, and when I didn't get anything I got really frustrated. I was in a pretty bad mood about it all day yesterday! I'm really distracted by it too (seems to be all I can think about). All I want is the yes/no answer so I can plan accordingly...the waiting game is driving me crazy.

COULD NOT agree more.. you basically just perfectly described my day yesterday and my feelings in general haha, so glad to know I am not the only one!! Getting a masters at London School of Economics is my plan B and I have to let them know yes/no on my offer preferably by next Wednesday .. which is just adding to my frustrations!

Poor Rachel, she has to deal with dozens of calls/e-mails everyday from impatient people.

I was one of those people today (I had to update my address anyway). She was kind enough to tell me that the Macedonian notification letters should be sent out in the next two weeks. At least now I know it wont come today or tomorrow and can get on with work.

Poor Rachel, she has to deal with dozens of calls/e-mails everyday from impatient people.

Cavalier - your alias is really making me chuckle (and probably the other italy applicants too). "cavaliere" is what Italians call their wonderful PM, Silvio Berlusconi, and I can't help but think of it when I see your posts. Thank you for the amusement amid all my waiting anxiety!

Cavalier - your alias is really making me chuckle (and probably the other italy applicants too). "cavaliere" is what Italians call their wonderful PM, Silvio Berlusconi, and I can't help but think of it when I see your posts. Thank you for the amusement amid all my waiting anxiety!

I am always finding one way or another to connect a word to something in Italian too. It's my curse as a linguist.

Yeah, I received an ETA to Ecuador, but I'm not sure where I will be yet. Did you get an ETA or a full?

I will be doing research in the Galapagos Islands, but I will probably be in Quito a little bit as well. I am sure we will have orientation together....I have heard Ecuador does a separate in-country orientation. Have you heard anything else? I am so excited, but still feel like I have no idea what is going on! :)

Hello all!

I've followed this thread for awhile, but just joined. I am an ETA finalist to Brazil, and wanted to let the other South America applicants know that I emailed Jody yesterday and she told me that letters (at least for Brazil) will be sent out early next week. (!!!) So, hang in there, and best of luck to everyone!

Well I do have to say that last years Fulbright forum reached 54 pages in June and we are already at 53. I guess we are just a more active bunch

Hehe. Or we could be: more paranoid, more impatient, and/or less gainfully employed. :D :D I kid!

Hey all! Though I'm a new user to gradforum, I've been checking this thread religiously to keep updated on everything Fulbright. That being said, much to my surprise I heard from IIE today and I have been chosen for the ETA/research award to Argentina! Hope this means that people waiting to hear from other South American countries will be hearing soon. My letter was postmarked 3/23 so it took a while to get from New York to Boston.

Best of luck to everyone. :D

I just got word that Ecuador's Full and ETA results were sent on Friday. Que la espera no me mate...

I applied to a country near Ecuador and have been quite jealous of the the fact that everyone who applied for a grant there has been notified. Congratulations!

Have any Mexico people emailed Jody Dudderar about when letters will be sent? Last year people got them March 27-29.

Has anyone emailed Jody to find out about Western Hemisphere timelines? (And out of curiosity, has anyone here applied for a grant to Canada?)

Just quoting these because they struck me as wise and balanced, were really inspiring, and helped me take a few deep breaths and... yes. It will be okay.

I wonder if some of this delay has to do with the budget for next fiscal year not being approved by Congress. I mean the State Department's budget still needs to be approved, along with other departments. Similar conversations are happening in the NSF and NDSEG forums about this. And it may/may not be the case. But in terms of the April 15th deadline, remember that federal budgets/appropriations/grants/fellowships don't coincide with academic requirements. The gov't can do whatever they want (i.e. what's happening now). I know it's unfortunate that certain plans may not exactly work out, but just be patient and work with what you've got. Also, keep your options open to the best extent possible!

As fas as being an alternate goes, from what i understand, it means you are good, great in fact, but there are some people out there whose applications appealed more to the committee - however, just because these people are chosen doesn't mean they will accept. The committee wants to have some qualified backup candidates who are eager to go. That's where the alternates come in. It's a hard place to be - on the one hand you want to move on and figure out what's next, on the other hand that nagging voice in the back of your mind says what if... Best advice I can give has already been said. put fulbright out of your mind. pretend that you didn't get it and move on. figure out the next best thing. and then if fulbright does come through, it will either be a pleasant surprise or no big deal cause you've lined up something better.

Hello all!

I've followed this thread for awhile, but just joined. I am an ETA finalist to Brazil, and wanted to let the other South America applicants know that I emailed Jody yesterday and she told me that letters (at least for Brazil) will be sent out early next week. (!!!) So, hang in there, and best of luck to everyone!

Hey Nena, thanks for sharing that information! Welcome! :)

I went back and checked. I sent the email two weeks ago and never received a response.

I called him and left him a voice mail today so hopefully I will hear from him soon. Some how I feel that we have the least helpful of the IIEs .

I broke down today (despite my best efforts to be patient), and e-mailed Jody about when the Mexico notifications will be sent out. I will post when I hear back!

Has anyone emailed Jody to find out about Western Hemisphere timelines? (And out of curiosity, has anyone here applied for a grant to Canada?)

Just quoting these because they struck me as wise and balanced, were really inspiring, and helped me take a few deep breaths and... yes. It will be okay.

Hi Moxie,

I am an applicant to Canada, and i actually just spoke with Jody on the phone about a change of address. She said she would be sending out notifications for Canada in 2 or 3 weeks. I think the Canadian Fulbright commission finalizes their decision on April 15th.

Hope that helps.

I'm very disappointed to report that Jody e-mailed me back that they won't be sending Mexico notifications for another 2-3 weeks!

Oh nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Well, thanks a lot for sharing! I guess now I have to get on with my life for another 2-3 weeks... I'm mad that they told me end of March! But I'll get over it.

At least you don't have to wait until mid-June like the Italian folks. I think we might actually be last.

Mid-June? For real? For really real? The 2010-11 spreadsheet shows notifications in early-mid May. But if you know for sure it's June...well....ugh. I just want to be able to plan my life.

My question was in regard to Russia Fulbright applicants, so I assume that her answer applies to all of us. I mentioned to her that I would share the info on the forum. =)

Does the two week wait include ETA applicants as well as Full grants? Are these typically announced at the same time?