What is the best way to tell a school you can no longer attend?

Due to unexpected financial/ family reasons, I can no longer attend the school I committed to and was supposed to attend this September. The exact process varies by program, but what is the best way to go about this? Should I just email admissions and give them the honest reason for my decision? Any other etiquette tips aside from being professional and thanking them for their time/ consideration? Thank you in advance!

If you recently accepted, this might work!

Dear Dr. Admissions Director,

I'd like to thank you and the admissions committee for your offer of acceptance to the  _________ program at __________. I accepted your offer on __(date)_____, and was looking forward to spending the next few years building a foundation as a clinician with this extremely talented and deserving cohort.

After much consideration, I regret to inform you that it is necessary for me to withdraw from the program. This decision was difficult, and was largely due to (a change in my financial aid package at another institution, a last minute change in my candidacy at a program that more closely fits my research interests in _________, etc.) .

I sincerely appreciate the time, effort, and consideration that you took in reviewing my application and making me feel welcome in this program. It was a pleasure getting to know the faculty, students, and the incredible opportunities that are offered at this institution. I thank you for the confidence you afforded me, and I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Sincerely,

_________