Hybrids MPP-DA programs vs. Traditional MPP programs

mppdanny

I am looking to apply to MPP programs this fall to enroll in Fall 2022. I’m coming across a lot of these hybrid MPP-DA programs (Heinz, Wagner, McCourt, Harris, etc.). Hoping to do policy analysis and research in the nonprofit or government sectors after getting my degree. I know I want to use an MPP program to strengthen my quant skills to prepare me for these types of positions, but I don’t think I want to end up in a pure data science/analytics role. My question is would the traditional programs provide enough quant training or should I be seriously considering the hybrid programs? Any other thoughts on the differences between two types of programs would be greatly appreciated as well.

10 hours ago, mppdanny said:

I am looking to apply to MPP programs this fall to enroll in Fall 2022. I’m coming across a lot of these hybrid MPP-DA programs (Heinz, Wagner, McCourt, Harris, etc.). Hoping to do policy analysis and research in the nonprofit or government sectors after getting my degree. I know I want to use an MPP program to strengthen my quant skills to prepare me for these types of positions, but I don’t think I want to end up in a pure data science/analytics role. My question is would the traditional programs provide enough quant training or should I be seriously considering the hybrid programs? Any other thoughts on the differences between two types of programs would be greatly appreciated as well.

So all those data focused policy programs are data first (to varying levels of intensity) but with a policy touch, but I wouldn’t say you learn s full range of policy skills. Practically, it would be easier for you to get a data or operations analysis job coming from those programs than a run of the mill policy program. At the same the a policy employer looking for data analytics person would generally care if you can from policy or non policy oriented grad school, as long as you can crunch numbers and get the intricacies.

If you want to do an ops or relationship focused job, MPP or MPA makes more sense. You can always max out your electives with data stuff if you want to go data heavy