Yale Graphic Design MFA (Help!)

Faxma

Hello, 

I'm a non-art major international student, and I'm planning to apply for an MFA in Graphic design at Yale upcoming January. I have a BS in Genetics and I've always been passionate in Graphic design. I've been freelancing for quite a while and most of the work I've done is commercial. 

When it comes to my portfolio....I'm super nervous and I do not know where to start. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out in terms of what type of work should I include (poster, book, branding projects, 3d modeling, animation, ui/ux design, typography, packaging... etc.) and the number of works you recommend submitting (up to 20 is max).

I know this can be different from one person to another, but all your input will be extremely helpful to at least sort out my thoughts! 

Thank you all in advance and wishing all a fruitful admission season *virtual hugs* 

• 1 month later...

I am also planning to apply to Yale MFA Design this year for 2022—2024 following! 

Compare to you I hold an interaction design / graphic design BFA degree in School of Visual Arts in 2020 previously. 

To me, I think YSoA care about academical perspectives of design, I think it includes typography, editorial design, and grid system. This could be purely bias but I sort of looked into their previous grad students works (The ones I personally really enjoy are 1. Pianpian He; 2. Zhongkai Li; 3. Laura Coombs ) — they all have a strong focus on experimental projects but with deep understanding of design principles.

I am not exactly sure what they are looking for within the portfolio, rather than what you want to achieve during their master's program. For example, someone who previously studied graphic design but now want to push their career further as a research based designer or professor. 

I guess you could put anything you want in your portfolio, but really try to show works that are unique to you. Not everything in the portfolio need to be perfect, you could put something that show your growth as a designer as well. I strongly suggest you to join their open house in November, the chairman(Sheila) really gives a lot of tips in terms of applying!

My portfolio site 

Edited by MitchellHHH

• 3 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, MitchellHHH said:

I am also planning to apply to Yale MFA Design this year for 2022—2024 following! 

Compare to you I hold an interaction design / graphic design BFA degree in School of Visual Arts in 2020 previously. 

To me, I think YSoA care about academical perspectives of design, I think it includes typography, editorial design, and grid system. This could be purely bias but I sort of looked into their previous grad students works (The ones I personally really enjoy are 1. Pianpian He; 2. Zhongkai Li; 3. Laura Coombs ) — they all have a strong focus on experimental projects but with deep understanding of design principles.

I am not exactly sure what they are looking for within the portfolio, rather than what you want to achieve during their master's program. For example, someone who previously studied graphic design but now want to push their career further as a research based designer or professor. 

I guess you could put anything you want in your portfolio, but really try to show works that are unique to you. Not everything in the portfolio need to be perfect, you could put something that show your growth as a designer as well. I strongly suggest you to join their open house in November, the chairman(Sheila) really gives a lot of tips in terms of applying!

My portfolio site 

Hi Mitchel, 

I’ve been meaning to thank you for your great help in a while now, so thank you!! I have an interview with Yale in a few weeks, hope you received an invitation too :) 

best of luck!