Humanities (Film) Major: Question about Non-Academic Publishing aka Journalism?

Hi everyone.

I notice a lot of PhD students in my field start publishing film reviews or longer form of film analysis/criticism in non-academic journals.  

I was wondering -- how necessary is that kind of work, if at all, for someone's academic and publishing career? Does it reflect well in job applications? 

I personally realize that I do not like writing brief film reviews, but I do like long-form criticism, and want to start publishing more of that, while balancing my academic work. But since I see quite a few people writing these shorter reviews, are these types of publications valuable? They don't seem as if they are worth the time and effort to me, other than for getting your name in a publication and making some money? 

I was just wondering what your thoughts and perspectives are. 

• 3 months later...

I would recommend doing both if you want to become an academic that has in impact in the public sphere. That's what I do. But academia will always value peer-reviewed journal articles more.

Just my two cents. 

I think it's worth it, because it can help your work gain a lot of visibility. I've gotten academic publication opportunities through my non-academic publications :)

Edited by Adelaide9216