San Diego State University: SLP Essentials Courses (Online) & Masters Application Journey as a Non-Traditional Student

Hi All,

I had trouble finding detailed info about individuals' experiences at SDSU's Global Campus SLP essentials courses and MA program - hopefully this thread will be helpful to others in my position!

My background:

• Undergrad: Bachelor of Science in STEM field, Bachelor of Arts in foreign language
  • Grad: Master of Science in STEM field
  • 3 years working in clinical research
  • No prior coursework in SLP
  • California-based
  • Planning to begin a masters program in 2023

My plan is to take the 8 SLP essentials courses offered through the Global Campus, which is fully online, over the next year or so. Students are considered non-degree seeking students, so I will likely not be eligible for federal assistance.

My hope is to update this page with info on the essentials courses regarding:

• Financial aid/cost of attendance
  • Why SDSU over other programs (for prereqs)
  • Quality of courses/instructors
  • Requesting letters of recommendation
Edited by annie.slp

Financial aid / Cost of attendance

• Total units (credits) for all eight courses: 32
  • Cost per unit: $345
  • Total estimated cost: $11,040
  • More info here.

The SDSU financial aid office seems to be pretty disjointed and unfamiliar with aid when it comes to those enrolled in Global Campus courses. They ended up referring me to the "Cashier's Office" (contact info below). I haven't yet heard back from them - will post updates.

Global Campus - Registration and Enrollment Services Office (link here)

SDSU Gateway Center Building, Hardy Avenue entrance.
    5250 Campanile Dr., San Diego, CA 92182
     Phone: (619) 594-5152
     Cashier's: (619) 594-2606 | ces.cashier@sdsu.edu
     Fax: (619) 594-0147 - faxes received weekly
     Email: ces.registrar@sdsu.edu

I have enrolled in two courses (max allowed per term), each lasting 8 weeks. 

• annie.slp changed the title to San Diego State University: SLP Essentials Courses (Online) & Masters Application Journey as a Non-Traditional Student

Why SDSU over other programs (for prereqs)?

• Flexibility: Courses are completely online and asynchronous. There are no dedicated class times, only weekly assignments, according to the website. The flexibility allows me to continue working.
  • Affordability: The cost per unit is on the lower end, though depending on where you live and what programs you are looking at, a dedicated postbac program may end up being more cost-effective due to eligibility for federal assistance. With private loans, even a small loan could end up costing much more in the end due to the higher interest rates. This will all depend on your situation.
  • Course length: Each course is 8 weeks long. Because of my background in STEM as an undergrad and graduate student, I feel comfortable with this pace of learning, and prefer to finish the requirements sooner than later.
  • Quality of/eligibility for school's master's program: SDSU has a well established SLP masters program, and these 8 courses will satisfy their prerequisite requirement. There is no guaranteed interview or acceptance in the master's program, but I believe that succeeding in SDSU's prereqs courses will add value to one's application, as the school is well aware of the courses' rigor and professors' competence. Faculty members in the MA program also teach some of the prereq courses in the Global Campus.
  • Any other considerations you are making/made when it comes to checking off these prereqs?

Example of my thought process when assessing other schools: Cal State Univ LA (CSULA) has what looks like an excellent, thorough program, but it is not 100% online (some online, some in-person, some hybrid; no guarantee of evening classes) and will take over 1.5 years to complete. That being said, there are for more courses, so completing their certificate program may mean eligibility to a greater number of SLP masters programs. The courses are also a full semester long, so they may prove to be more thorough. The cost is not bad, at about $12,300 total if completed in 3 semesters, but this program is also not eligible for financial aid. CSULA also has a reputable master's program. More info here.

• 3 weeks later...

note, depending on the programs/schools you're applying to, you might need more than 8 pre-SLP courses from SDSU. 

*I took all 8 pre-SLP courses from SDSU from 2019-2020

Edited by slp.sparks.joy