Yale Div/ISM

musicgod11

Hey all,

I am a rising UG senior considering applying to Yale Divinity School in conjunction with the Institute of Sacred Music for grad school. It's my top choice so I thought I would post some of my stats and see if my desire to apply for next year is crazy or if I have a good shot.

Applying for: MAR in Religion and the Arts

UG education: NE liberal arts school

GPA: 3.45/4 (slightly higher GPA within majors)

Majors: Music, Religion

Thesis: Yes. Writing on a topic pertaining to music and religion in popular culture.

Work Experience:

-2 years in university archives

-2 years of web designing for profs

-4 years in university arts center

-teaching a music class next year

-random internships and research assisting

-high involvement in arts programs on campus

Also, I am interested in applying to Union Theological for a similar program and Rice. Any knowledge about these schools would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I'd definitely think you've got a shot, but at that level with the ISM and YDS, you're dealing with some elements that lie necessarily out of your control (*cough* luck *cough*). It's definitely worth your time. Unfortunately, I don't know about Union or Rice's programs in this department.

Just some food for thought. I applied, and was denied, with a similar amount of UG experience. I had a 3.75 (3.9 in majors) with a theo/phil double major. I recently hung out with a handful of Yale Mdiv graduates two weekends ago (I'm already at BC) and they seemed to think it was pretty hard to get in (most of them had pretty high stats, ect).

-Nick