Math courses for biostatistics PhD programs?

abm495

For biostatistics, real analysis is fine, meaning that many applicants won't have more than that and also you don't need any extra math knowledge to be successful.  Obviously, on the margins, more math might give a stronger signal that you will be successful - somebody who completed Harvard's PhD math curriculum as an undergrad would have a leg up because there would be no doubt he could successfully pass qualifying exams.  I don't think it's worth taking extra abstract math classes (algebra, topology, etc) if you're not interested in them.  Some classes in probability, statistics, computer science, and applied math like optimization/numerical analysis might be more useful.

I agree with @bayessays. Most students will basically have taken up to Real Analysis and not much extra. Some students even get admitted without RA, although this is becoming more rare.

I do think that the more you have, the stronger your application will be. So if you're fighting for the top programs, it definitely won't hurt to take more math (provided you earn good grades in those classes).