2022 Application Thread for Communications Program

5 minutes ago, j0k3r said:

Yeah, the UC's have notoriously bad funding for grad students. As much as I would prefer to be in California, I refuse to go into debt for a PhD and I also don't want to suffer through trying to make ends meet. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat about the offers you've received!

I completely agree! 

Just now, CWEASz said:

Thank you !!! but it seems like you got an offer from NU lol. Anyway do you know if MCC would admit students without interviews this year?

Yeaaaaah ? I had such an amazing connection with a professor during my application. But it’s okay! Hmmm that’s a good question, I really don’t know ? 

4 minutes ago, CWEASz said:

Thank you !!! but it seems like you got an offer from NU lol. Anyway do you know if MCC would admit students without interviews this year?

Ps: how much UMASS offers? Is it a good offer?

3 minutes ago, THenri said:

Yeaaaaah ? I had such an amazing connection with a professor during my application. But it’s okay! Hmmm that’s a good question, I really don’t know ? 

That's amazing. I know a professor in the NU's MTS program but didn't apply there. I guess I should've applied there as I asked her to write reference letters for all other schools I applied to.

On 2/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, j0k3r said:

Yeah, the UC's have notoriously bad funding for grad students. As much as I would prefer to be in California, I refuse to go into debt for a PhD and I also don't want to suffer through trying to make ends meet. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat about the offers you've received!

ono, that's a real bummer :(  i dont have many choices to pick from and uc is really perfect for me in terms of research fit. i might just dip into my savings so i dont have to live like a caveman.

On 2/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, THenri said:

Which Uc are u talking about? If it is UCSB, I guess 33k is not enough 

yesss 23k is barely enough. i'll probably have to find summer funding to supplement it.

15 minutes ago, heyjung said:

ono, that's a real bummer :(  i dont have many choices to pick from and uc is really perfect for me in terms of research fit. i might just dip into my savings so i dont have to live like a caveman.

yesss 23k is barely enough. i'll probably have to find summer funding to supplement it.

Yeah! But you got this!! UCSB is a great school!! 

Has anyone heard anything from Media Research and Practice at CU-Boulder? (The concentrations are media studies, strat com, and info studies).

I know someone got accepted to their comm program yesterday from the results page but was just wondering if any applicants from these concentrations (or the EMP program) had any updates.

34 minutes ago, HatFinisher said:

Has anyone heard anything from Media Research and Practice at CU-Boulder? (The concentrations are media studies, strat com, and info studies).

I know someone got accepted to their comm program yesterday from the results page but was just wondering if any applicants from these concentrations (or the EMP program) had any updates.

Hey, I'm waiting to hear from Boulder as well, and it was rather disheartening to see someone else heard back. I'm in Org com and they still haven't updated their portal - so anything could happen! sending positive vibes your way

39 minutes ago, AHoe said:

Hey, I'm waiting to hear from Boulder as well, and it was rather disheartening to see someone else heard back. I'm in Org com and they still haven't updated their portal - so anything could happen! sending positive vibes your way

Thanks, fingers crossed for you too!

On 2/17/2022 at 4:27 PM, squirtle said:

I declined my offer from TTU, I hope you get bumped off of the waitlist!

Thanks. Hope to get the positive answer soon. Did you have an interview for TTU? 

Is anyone had an interview for CU Boulder media art practice or UT dallas? Received rejection from Michigan state and Ohio. So sadddd. Sadness for shity life. No offer so far. very sad and hopeless.

Edited by A.M

26 minutes ago, A.M said:

Is anyone had an interview for CU Boulder media art practice or UT dallas? Received rejection from Michigan state and Ohio. So sadddd. Sadness for shity life. No offer so far. very sad and hopeless.

Heyyy, I understand that u are sad. However, I must say: this is not your whole life. Even if u are rejected from all of schools, you are still precious and worth it! And let’s be positive because this games haven’t finished yet! 

Wow. Congrats to many of you who have secured at least a place. I applied to 3 programmes this year and two of them have been rejected. I am so disheartened. I guess that the reason of my failure was mainly due to my SOP. May I ask if any of you who got accepted, especially by MTS Northwestern, could possibly share your SOP with me? I only want to learn from the structure and the content so that I can prepare better next year, as someone says never give up..

thank you for reading and I hope to have your kind help. 

Edited by Ian.Hayes

3 hours ago, Ian.Hayes said:

Wow. Congrats to many of you who have secured at least a place. I applied to 3 programmes this year and two of them have been rejected. I am so disheartened. I guess that the reason of my failure was mainly due to my SOP. May I ask if any of you who got accepted, especially by MTS Northwestern, could possibly share your SOP with me? I only want to learn from the structure and the content so that I can prepare better next year, as someone says never give up..

thank you for reading and I hope to have your kind help. 

Heeey! To be honest, next year, try to apply to at least 5-7 programs, it will increase your chances. I was accepted there and I can share it with you, no problems. Send me your e-mail :D

11 minutes ago, THenri said:

It seems that someone got accepted at USC! It was an email to check the portal in the middle of the night, kind of strange, lol

Hahahhahah, I saw that too this morning! First thought was to jump on here to see if anyone posted. 

4 minutes ago, Margolia said:

Hahahhahah, I saw that too this morning! First thought was to jump on here to see if anyone posted. 

Hahahahah same!! Did u receive any email? People usually say that usc send rejection only days later