Wenner Gren 2021-22

anthro8752

Just got the email, didn't get it. Score of 2.67

Lost points, according to one reviewer, because I had another grant supporting the first 6 months of this two-year research project. I guess there's no point in re-applying, since I'm automatically cut because of my other funding. 

Edited by anthro7843

6 minutes ago, anthro7843 said:

@Coffee Snob one of my reviewers listed off six sub-fields/thematic areas and told me to include them all in the literature review, which would have changed my project entirely almost towards archaeology (Im socio-cultural). I literally laughed when I read their comments. So irrelevant. 

I laughed at mine too. There’s also a lot of “whataboutism”. Perhaps I’ll have a better reaction to the reviews in a day or two. For now I’ll just put them behind me.

All I read in this forum are rejections. Anyone wins? 1600 applicants this year—that’s tough.

The same for me. 2 reviewers loved it and the third and fourth reviewers just went on and on about something else that would expand my research beyond my field and take it in a whole different direction. As coffee snob sais, a lot of "whataboutism". That third review was definitely what led to the rejection. I honestly don't think i will re-apply because i have to address that review and it is really not in the scope of my work and research question. I am honestly confused. I was also surprised that there were four reviewers instead of 3 like last year.

Anyway, congrats to all those who got the grant

I would love to find out what the cut-off was!! one of my reviews was simply a sentence suggesting that I read an article (which I am now trying to find, in case this is a cryptic code for something). the others were useful comments, although they ask for a lot from a proposal written prior to getting to the field. I suppose this is what happens when you have to winnow down from 1600 applications... in any case, something about the whole process is patently absurd—if they prefer resubmits, is the expectation that you have a fully conceived and fleshed out proposal a whole year before beginning fieldwork?

ps: fingers crossed for you orangewaterbottle!

Edited by potemkinvillage

2 minutes ago, potemkinvillage said:

I would love to find out what the cut-off was!! one of my reviews was simply a sentence suggesting that I read an article (which I am now trying to find, in case this is a cryptic code for something). the others were useful comments, although they ask for a lot from a proposal written prior to getting to the field. I suppose this is what happens when you have to winnow down from 1600 applications... in any case, something about the whole process is patently absurd—if they prefer resubmits, is the expectation that you have a fully conceived and fleshed out proposal a whole year before beginning fieldwork?

ps: fingers crossed for you orangewaterbottle!

Thanks! Generally, the cutoff for funding is 2.33 or lower from what I have seen in previous years. 

As for the proposal, what I've understood is that they look favorably on people that are using the WG to build upon a relatively solid project, not as the only basis for the funding. While there is obviously room for differences in this, I was told to gear it more as a diss improvement grant in the sense of what it additionally allows you to explore with your dissertation, so pilot/preliminary data is a positive. But if there's input from others definitely chime in!

interesting! thanks, that's really helpful. I couldn't collect any pilot/preliminary data thanks to (the multiple waves of) COVID, so maybe it's worth reapplying in May after all. it's just hellish how long they take to get back to you. I can't even imagine where the project will be in six months, let alone if/when the money comes in 2023! 

4 hours ago, orangewaterbottle said:

Finally heard back at 1:50 pm Eastern, awarded the grant for Archaeology! No score given, and they want to fund my COVID plan. This was my third time applying so don't give up ?

Congratulations!

Yes, I’ve heard some people get funded after applying 3 times.

Rejected, second time applying. 3 average. One positive reviewer, the other two (rightfully so I'd have to say) pointed out that my project lacks "innovation" in the sense that while it adds to an existing body of research it does not advance it in some novel way. I've really struggled to frame my own intervention as some kind of novel theoretical insight. 

Anyhow, I'm thinking of reapplying again in two weeks. How have other people handled reapplying for a 3rd time; is it a problem if you already start your project? How to navigate around that? Would love to hear y'alls thoughts :)