Question about Lodging on Visitor weekends

panthers9876

Okay, when I visited for master's, the schools provided me with an individual hotel room. On one of those, they took care of all of the arrangements and I just had to catch a shuttle to the hotel then check-in and there was an individual room for me. This week I'm going on a visit and staying at a bed and breakfast (I could afford it with the reimbursement they're giving me). For another visit, I'm staying with current graduate students just because the reimbursement isn't enough for airfare + hotel. My preference would be to have an actual visit weekend with my own hotel room that would give me the chance to get to meet potential cohort-mates but have a place to retreat that's all mine.

My question is did you guys usually share your room with someone else or did you have your own room during the visitor weekends. I do admit I do prefer my own room to myself, but it wouldn't kill me if I had to share a room. Just asking. Thanks

I have never shared a room during a visit, but I know others who have. I guess it depends on the program and the school.

So do most masters programs have visit weekends as well? I have been accepted to a MA program in addition to a PhD one, and I want to visit both.

Sorry for the off-topic question.

When I was applying to masters programs the visit weekends were at the same time as the PhD visiting weekend. The itineraries for the Masters and PhD prospectives were the same. I applied to one program that was a terminal masters (no PhD program); they did not have a visit weekend.

I am applying to masters programs -- as getting one is required in most cases before moving to a PhD in my discipline. During 2 of my visits I was invited to stay at the HOME of my potential advisor. Although this invitation made me feel exceedingly nervous about casual social interaction w/ a strange family, I felt it would be offensive to turn down. In both cases I felt very welcome and comfortable once there. I also stayed with a graduate student in the lab that I applied to...no hotels here. Airfare/food was all payed for though.

How soon before the visit did they let you know whom you would be staying with? I have plane tickets but no information about how to get from the airport to campus or where I'll be staying. The visit is in 12 days but I'll be leaving next week for a vacation.

I had a roommate 3 out of 4 times. It wasn't a problem except for one girl who would set an alarm for reeeaally eaarly and then hit the snooze button over and over for an hour.

Most places only sent me a detailed itinerary in the last few days before I left. I got flights more in advance, but the details didn't come together until later (rides to/from airport, faculty interview schedule).

It wasn't a problem except for one girl who would set an alarm for reeeaally eaarly and then hit the snooze button over and over for an hour.

I had a roommate who insisted on doing that.

They'll never find the body.