GEM Fellowship 2022 Cycle

bellathechemist

5 minutes ago, Purduefellow said:

I will be there too, looking to give myself every chance at succeeding with this. 

The whole process is a bit of a mystery for me to be honest... But, once we accept a company offer and get accepted to a university isn't that it? We are in?

I heard that getting the employer offer is one of the most important steps.

12 minutes ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

The whole process is a bit of a mystery for me to be honest... But, once we accept a company offer and get accepted to a university isn't that it? We are in?

I heard that getting the employer offer is one of the most important steps.

I see that if the institution does not accept then the fellowship is not valid since you need the sign off from the institution overall (this can be a chance for an associate fellowship if there is no employer) but I guess that will be clarified tomorrow.

1 minute ago, nonexpert2055 said:

I see that if the institution does not accept then the fellowship is not valid since you need the sign off from the institution overall (this can be a chance for an associate fellowship if there is no employer) but I guess that will be clarified tomorrow.

Yes. I do believe that not having an employer does not disqualifying one from being a GEM Fellow, since there are 3 different levels of GEM fellowship.

Is there a way to see your submitted applications? I'm trying to see what companies I prioritized in that one tab and I want to see if those are the three companies that contacted me and whether or not other companies are also sent your application. 

Also, does anyone know how real the threat of getting picked by a company while you are interviewing for another one is? 

Edited by pkgts

13 hours ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Yes. I do believe that not having an employer does not disqualifying one from being a GEM Fellow, since there are 3 different levels of GEM fellowship.

2 levels from what I read associate and employer fellow, what’s the third?

13 hours ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

I only see two, employer and associate fellow, what’s the third?

3 hours ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Oh, sorry for the lack of clarification. I see that for the PhD route there are two: Employer and Associate Fellows. For the MS route there are three: Employer, University, and Associate Fellows.

Thanks for the clarification yes I am tracking the PhD route…. On a separate but related track I asked about the whole employer matched vs held and got the response below…

Thank you for contacting us at The National GEM Consortium.  With regard to your MATCHED employer status, GEM Employers are actively reaching out to Completed 2022 GEM applicants right now. Please make sure your voicemail is updated with a professional outgoing message. Please respond within 24 hours to any requests for an interview or other GEM Employer inquiries. You will see your homepage Employer status change from unmatched, to matched, to released, to held as your application is previewed by several Employers. Do not be concerned with this status.  The status you are looking for is Selected, which mean an employer has selected your application to move to the next step.

In all honesty while I do want the fellowship 100% I would rather get an associate fellowship as I like my current job and do not know how I could get away for a 12 week internship unless the let me do it virtually…

On 1/8/2022 at 10:20 PM, jackdefellow7 said:

Since recruiters aren't directly contactable, pursuing secondary connection would be your best bet. (1) I think one method would be to use LinkedIn to connect with past fellows or individuals in the company with some type of "inclusion/recruiter/diversity" title. I use LinkedIn to find the specific company > next search people > then I search GEM or other keywords i.e. (inclusion/recruiter/diversity)  (2) I have contacted previous GEM fellows during this term. Maybe reaching out to one and finding a lead also may be helpful. (3) Another thing that would be helpful is to go back and look at the 2021 GEM fellows. Observe which company sponsored the most candidates in your discipline and contact those companies. You can also reach out to those fellows using LinkedIn.  I hope this is helpful in some form. Keep pressing! 

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say that I've been looking over this thread over the past few weeks and what jackdefellow7 said was definitely some great advice as I was successfully able to reach out to two of my top companies and have scheduled a meeting (not a formal interview) to talk with one of them in a few days. Hopefully this post won't be too long, but this is basically what I did. For privacy reasons, I'm going to keep the names of the companies I contacted private, but they are both nationally-known aerospace research facilities.

First off, I finished my app back on Nov. 1st like everyone else and completely forgot that a large part of the fellowship is finding/being selected by an employer and working for that employer until at least once (in my case twice since I hope to do my masters). It actually wasn't until this thread that I saw that I remembered that companies outside of the top three you picked can select you, so I decided to use what jackdefellow7 said to make sure I got picked by one of my three choices, especially since I had prior internship experience with my top choice.

Basically, I used my LinkedIn to reach out to a bunch of the 2021 GEM fellows who interned with my first choice. A list of the fellows, as well as where they interned and where they currently go to school, is already on the GEM website, so if there's a company you really want to work with, this is a good first option. A little less than half of them replied back and gave me a bunch of info, including the contact info of the GEM recruiters at my top choice. Decided to email the recruiters with my resume and asked if they had any groups I could join and they actually gave me a phone number for me to call. So I called the number and they said they would have their GEM point of contact review my application and go from there. Literally two or three days ago, I saw that my portal had changed. There was a notification that the company had started looking at my application and my employer status changed to held, so now I'm hoping they just decide to select me before their window to select me ends. 

In terms of my second choice company, I actually reached out to the director of the lab on LinkedIn and he gave me his email. I sent him my resume and he forwarded it to their GEM point-of-contact, who they also gave me the email of. I'm set to have a meeting with the point-of-contact soon to talk about my application. 

So yeah, that's basically what I did for anyone that really wanted a way to connect with their top choices. Feel free to DM me if you want to know which companies I talked to/some other pieces of advice that I decided to leave out. 

Edited by fellowlearner

On 1/25/2022 at 10:55 AM, nonexpert2055 said:

Congrats!! Did you get your update through egem or by employer email?

The recruiter told me via email that I got the internship and then told me to expect an update in the GEM portal, the next day it was in the portal so I accepted it there and then today I just got the formal offer letter via email. Got my first grad school acceptance today so some proper dubs. 

11 hours ago, pkgts said:

The recruiter told me via email that I got the internship and then told me to expect an update in the GEM portal, the next day it was in the portal so I accepted it there and then today I just got the formal offer letter via email. Got my first grad school acceptance today so some proper dubs. 

How long did you sit in “held” or were you simply matched and then picked up?  I have accepted an offer from a member university I just hope I get the fellowship to totally round this out and hope they allow a virtual internship this summer. 

5 hours ago, Purduefellow said:

How long did you sit in “held” or were you simply matched and then picked up?  I have accepted an offer from a member university I just hope I get the fellowship to totally round this out and hope they allow a virtual internship this summer. 

I was never held, I was matched for the duration and then unmatched, then matched again (at this point I learned if you paste this website into your browser https://egem2.gemfellowship.org/#/fellowship/myfellowshipoverview/xxxxx where xxxxx is the last 5 digits you see on the page where you add schools , you can see you has you matched), then I got my offer via email and got selected.

so your portal still says matched when you got the offer, never selected? still the case?

55 minutes ago, pkgts said:

I was never held, I was matched for the duration and then unmatched, then matched again (at this point I learned if you paste this website into your browser https://egem2.gemfellowship.org/#/fellowship/myfellowshipoverview/xxxxx where xxxxx is the last 5 digits you see on the page where you add schools , you can see you has you matched), then I got my offer via email and got selected.