GEM Fellowship 2022 Cycle

bellathechemist

10 hours ago, pkgts said:

I was never held, I was matched for the duration and then unmatched, then matched again (at this point I learned if you paste this website into your browser https://egem2.gemfellowship.org/#/fellowship/myfellowshipoverview/xxxxx where xxxxx is the last 5 digits you see on the page where you add schools , you can see you has you matched), then I got my offer via email and got selected.

You, sir/ma’am are a genius lol. So it appears NASA is interested in me but for whatever reason haven’t yet pulled the trigger on interview or anything beyond the magical “held” lol. ?? 

13 hours ago, Purduefellow said:

You, sir/ma’am are a genius lol. So it appears NASA is interested in me but for whatever reason haven’t yet pulled the trigger on interview or anything beyond the magical “held” lol. ?? 

NASA was actually one of the places I talked to and after talking to them, it looks like they do not plan to accept any GEM fellows this year. If they do, there will be not be any positions in science and engineering this year, unless you're going to grad school for computer science or cybersecurity. Last year was actually NASA's first year back in GEM in 10 years, so they've been pretty spotty when it comes to GEM.

Edited by fellowlearner

5 hours ago, fellowlearner said:

NASA was actually one of the places I talked to and after talking to them, it looks like they do not plan to accept any GEM fellows this year. If they do, there will be not be any positions in science and engineering this year, unless you're going to grad school for computer science or cybersecurity. Last year was actually NASA's first year back in GEM in 10 years, so they've been pretty spotty when it comes to GEM.

Really?? NASA Goddard reached out to me like 2 weeks ago for an interview. I declined because I already have an offer, but did they really tell you they don't plan on taking GEM interns?

8 hours ago, fellowlearner said:

That's interesting that employers told students that

6 hours ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Really?? NASA Goddard reached out to me like 2 weeks ago for an interview. I declined because I already have an offer, but did they really tell you they don't plan on taking GEM interns?

Yeah. That’s weird because that’s what they told me. They apparently met with their GEM person last week, so things might have changed. I talked to the people who head the program at Goddard, where a good portion of the interns last year were at, and they both said the same thing to me. Even the one advisor I reached out to emailed the same heads of the program and she replied back with the same response they did. They said they would let me know if anything changes, but it’s not looking good. If anyone wants to look at the emails I got, you can just DM me.

Edited by fellowlearner

12 hours ago, fellowlearner said:

I hope to be one selected this year as I am looking to get a doctorate in Technology so fingers crossed ?? 

I am a tad confused on the Gem application it says something like this

Congratulations <company X>  have responded to your application

But i have not received an interview and there is no place on the application dashboard to accept or decline, lastly the status says Released.

4 hours ago, SeaofTerra said:

I am a tad confused on the Gem application it says something like this

Congratulations <company X>  have responded to your application

But i have not received an interview and there is no place on the application dashboard to accept or decline, lastly the status says Released.

The email you got from GEM said that that notification means nothing unless you receive an offer letter or are contacted for an interview. Selected is the status you’d want to see. There is no place to accept the offer because that notification isn’t an offer. You get that notification every time a company looks at your application.

1 hour ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Is anyone else still waiting for their "University Status" to go from "Pending Verification" to "Applied" ? I recall that the deadline for this is February 1st... But, what happens if the universities don't confirm by the date?

You can reach out to GEM, but GEM will contact all the schools you applied to and confirm everything themselves, even after February 1st. As long as at least three of the schools under the Applicant Self Report Status column say applied, you should be fine.

2 hours ago, fellowlearner said:

You can reach out to GEM, but GEM will contact all the schools you applied to and confirm everything themselves, even after February 1st. As long as at least three of the schools under the Applicant Self Report Status column say applied, you should be fine.

One of mine reported that roughly two months ago (I declined their offer). Another (I accepted admission) offered admission back in November but GEM is yet to update my status. My third, I applied and haven’t yet heard from them if I was accepted or not. So everything still seems not to be nailed down. 

1 minute ago, Purduefellow said:

One of mine reported that roughly two months ago (I declined their offer). Another (I accepted admission) offered admission back in November but GEM is yet to update my status. My third, I applied and haven’t yet heard from them if I was accepted or not. So everything still seems not to be nailed down. 

I take that back, I now am showing two of the three simply waiting on acknowledgment of the third at this point. 

3 hours ago, Purduefellow said:

Yea NASA dropped me like a bad habit lol. I am now back to unmatched:(

Yeah they dropped me too, so it might be that they are probably not gonna do GEM this year, unless someone has gotten through the interview process.

Also, got into my first grad school yesterday. Now just hoping to be with an employer I like.

Surprisingly mine still says accepted, although I haven't heard ANYTHING from NASA. The only place I've interviewed with is Aerospace and everything sounded like they were going to send an offer to me, but NASA swooped in. Might be a bit upset if they cost me the opportunity to have Aerospace as my sponsor only to drop me. And did you all get the email yesterday from GEM telling us not to ask them if they received our stuff? Hilariously weird.

3 hours ago, pagales14 said:

Surprisingly mine still says accepted, although I haven't heard ANYTHING from NASA. The only place I've interviewed with is Aerospace and everything sounded like they were going to send an offer to me, but NASA swooped in. Might be a bit upset if they cost me the opportunity to have Aerospace as my sponsor only to drop me. And did you all get the email yesterday from GEM telling us not to ask them if they received our stuff? Hilariously weird.

If you want, I can send you the contact info of the NASA people I talked to and see if they can unmatch you. You could also tell GEM. I emailed one of the reps and it seems they are aware of NASA's situation after I told them because I was unmatched from NASA a few days ago and rematched to another company right after. I also didn't an email.

6 hours ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

So I got matched with my employer 6 weeks ago. I am now waiting for graduate school admissions decisions! I am graduating from undergrad at the end of March. I am excited for these next few months ?. Anyone else?

Yea I got accepted by Purdue for a fall start last November so I am waiting on an employer to “fall in love” with my application lol. I have my first scheduled interview for a company called synopsys never heard of them but they seem to be big players in the field I am jazzed about. Wish me luck. 

7 minutes ago, Purduefellow said:

Yea I got accepted by Purdue for a fall start last November so I am waiting on an employer to “fall in love” with my application lol. I have my first scheduled interview for a company called synopsys never heard of them but they seem to be big players in the field I am jazzed about. Wish me luck. 

Nice! Congratulations.

20 minutes ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Nice! Congratulations.

I would wait on accepting the congratulations until I have a signed contract but yes things seem to be headed in the right direction.  

we all should get there either by employer or university fellowship. 

I am bursting with excitement, I have my first interview this Friday. I am cautiously optimistic, the company deals with a lot of exciting new things that seem very interesting to me. 

Wish me luck folks, I have the admission now I need the employer to pick me up…