GEM Fellowship 2022 Cycle

bellathechemist

12 hours ago, banana12 said:

I got contacted for an interview a couple of days ago, does anyone know what the interview is like? For those who've interviewed already 

My interview was pretty straightforward. It was 30 mins long and I wasn't asked about my CV. Rather, they wanted to know how interested I would be in their proposed project for the summer. It more like a conversation than anything else. Plus I got to ask a lot of questions. 

16 hours ago, banana12 said:

I got contacted for an interview a couple of days ago, does anyone know what the interview is like? For those who've interviewed already 

How did you get contacted? I keep thinking I won't respond to a call because I think it is spam but it is actually a GEM representative lol or that it they email me it will go to spam.

4 hours ago, aaa2424 said:

How did you get contacted? I keep thinking I won't respond to a call because I think it is spam but it is actually a GEM representative lol or that it they email me it will go to spam.

I got an email directly from a company representative asking to set up a phone call.

19 minutes ago, aa4444 said:

I got an email directly from a company representative asking to set up a phone call.

I  got a phone call from the employer, at first I didn't answer since it was an unknown number but then they left a voicemail and I called back to set up a date and zoom to chat. Definitely do answer you phone calls, you never know. 

I first got matched to a company and scheduled an interview then earlier in the week I got an email for a national lab to work there. I didn't know you can be contacted by multiple employers. I had put the national lab and the other company as my top choices.  I hope everyone who got matched also gets contacted soon, best of luck everyone 

Also my schools still says pending as well, nothing has changed. 

I was contacted via email by a GEM employer (national lab) yesterday, and then had the interview the same day through video. Interview was casual; I told them about myself and then we had a back-and-forth conversation about the industry, company, and the potential position.

4 hours ago, banana12 said:

I first got matched to a company and scheduled an interview then earlier in the week I got an email for a national lab to work there. I didn't know you can be contacted by multiple employers. I had put the national lab and the other company as my top choices.  I hope everyone who got matched also gets contacted soon, best of luck everyone 

Also my schools still says pending as well, nothing has changed. 

According to an email I got, GEM will reach out to the universities you listed to confirm that you actually applied. They'll start this process sometime next month. You shouldn't have to do anything unless they can't find your application.

Edited by FlamingSenchi

On 12/18/2021 at 3:48 AM, SeaofTerra said:

So on my application portal it says today employer status matched but I haven't received any emails, calls, or anything. Does it mean like they interested but not enough to offer. 

• Employer Member Status:Matched

This means that an employer has expressed interest in you. You should be hearing from them within the next few days/week.

On 12/22/2021 at 1:33 PM, cshopeful614 said:

On the portal for GEM Selects, it states we have to accept by Dec. 31st. Have you all received or do you know if we should receive the actual offer letter from the company with the intern salary information prior to this date?

You should communicate with your point of contact at the company. You can accept the offer on the GEM portal without having the offer details in hand.

Honestly, I've got almost 4 years worth of work experience after receiving my bachelors and I've been doing Systems Engineering for a Gov Satellite for almost 2 of those years now. Didn't have any internships and my GPA sucked. I've been matched with one company, GEM has alerted me that I have a response from another company, and I reached out to a third. If there's a place you really want to work for following your graduate studies, it's worth reaching out to a recruiter.