GEM Fellowship 2022 Cycle

bellathechemist

8 hours ago, banana12 said:

I wonder if anyone has gotten matched or heard anything back. From last year's application cycle, seemed like people began hearing back late november. 

Yes, I had an interview with an employer a few days back.

I believe it's only GEM sponsored schools from the list but I'd contact them because sometimes the forget to update stuff. Also, for your sponsor interview request email, did they state that they are willing to sponsor you for GEM in the email subject or how did they structure the email? I am asking so I know what to look out for.

3 hours ago, aaa2424 said:

I also see my status as matched, not really sure since when, but I have not been contacted either by any sponsors. Do you know if there is an order? like step 1 matched step 2 ? 

This is making me so nervous!!!!!!!

I assume matched just means that a company (or companies) has taken an interest in your profile. I wouldn't be too worried yet. There's still some time for companies to reach out to you. Heck I received an invitation to interview from one of my top companies barely today when I thought things had gone silent. I'd say its just a matter of when! 

FYI, my status changed from "matched" to "held" when I was told that I was going to receive an offer. I also received a notification that read "Congratulations X Corporation has responded to your application" on my GEM portal. Basically, I think your status will only change if a company is close to or wanting to make you an offer.

Edited by FlamingSenchi

3 hours ago, FlamingSenchi said:

I assume matched just means that a company (or companies) has taken an interest in your profile. I wouldn't be too worried yet. There's still some time for companies to reach out to you. Heck I received an invitation to interview from one of my top companies barely today when I thought things had gone silent. I'd say its just a matter of when! 

FYI, my status changed from "matched" to "held" when I was told that I was going to receive an offer. I also received a notification that read "Congratulations X Corporation has responded to your application" on my GEM portal. Basically, I think your status will only change if a company is close to or wanting to make you an offer.

ok cool thank you!! so just keep checking the portal to see if they post any updates

Hello I have question. My status went from matched to released. I know what that means, however, I received this notification on my portal on the same day. Have not received any email yet. Does anyone know what this might mean? Or if anyone else has been in this position? Love the mix signals...definitely not making me anxious or anything lol  

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 3.02.10 PM.png

On 12/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, aaa2424 said:

Hello I have question. My status went from matched to released. I know what that means, however, I received this notification on my portal on the same day. Have not received any email yet. Does anyone know what this might mean? Or if anyone else has been in this position? Love the mix signals...definitely not making me anxious or anything lol  

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 3.02.10 PM.png

I think you should expect to hear from a company representative pretty soon. All of these notifications are honestly really vague as to what they actually mean and what the next steps are. 

Edited by FlamingSenchi

I have a question: On my GEM profile I was selected by a company that I did not interview with at all (they reached out to me for an interview which I declined since I was waiting on an offer from another company). Who do I need to contact to get this fixed? I tried emailing GEM before at info@gemfellowship.org, but I never got a response. I'm not sure if this will cause issues with the company that's actually going to sponsor me... I was thinking about rejecting the offer, but it sounds like you're rejecting the GEM fellowship if you do so. 

image.png.afdd658366848560a7b00ad3e888e2dd.png

image.png.5595268397ce23d336ed3e7c9cedd447.png

Edited by FlamingSenchi

2 hours ago, FlamingSenchi said:

I have a question: On my GEM profile I was selected by a company that I did not interview with at all (they reached out to me for an interview which I declined since I was waiting on an offer from another company). Who do I need to contact to get this fixed? I tried emailing GEM before at info@gemfellowship.org, but I never got a response. I'm not sure if this will cause issues with the company that's actually going to sponsor me... I was thinking about rejecting the offer, but it sounds like you're rejecting the GEM fellowship if you do so. 

image.png.afdd658366848560a7b00ad3e888e2dd.png

image.png.5595268397ce23d336ed3e7c9cedd447.png

I would give GEM a call and ask them rather than emailing them. They have a number listed on their site and someone usually answers during their business hours. 

23 hours ago, rverna said:

I would give GEM a call and ask them rather than emailing them. They have a number listed on their site and someone usually answers during their business hours. 

If anyone is curious, this is what they said:

A company can select you even if you did not have any correspondence with them... /rant This honestly makes no sense to me. Why would a company choose to sponsor a candidate without knowing if they'll be a good fit ? There's only so much you can grasp from one's resume/application. What if I'm not interested in the roles you guys are offering? What if it turns out I'm not a good cultural fit? What if I don't like the location where the internship will be at? It's a load of bologna cause I've been talking to recruiters from different companies for the past month just to be selected by a company that I don't have much information about. Plus I already accepted an offer from another company so I'm probably screwed. /rant over 

Also, if you have been selected by one company, you can't be selected by another. So once a company selects you, that's it. You either accept or reject the offer. If you reject your offer, you reject the fellowship all together. They do this so that applicants won't get multiple offers from companies. Apparently GEM has lost partners in the past because of this. 

To summarize, I already accepted an offer with one GEM employer, but a different company selected me even though I never spoke with them at all. They said my case would be reviewed, so fingers crossed this goes my way.