GEM Fellowship 2022 Cycle

bellathechemist

On 2/1/2022 at 12:25 AM, fellowlearner said:

Update: For anyone waiting on MIT Lincoln Lab that hasn't been contacted yet, it looks like they have already made most of their selections, including alternates. Reached out to them and they said decisions were made back in December and they are waiting for people to decline before moving onto alternates.

So apparently, one of the MIT Lincoln Lab researchers reached out to me since they liked my resume, even though they already selected all their GEM fellows, and now I have my first interview tomorrow to see if I would fit in their group. Wish me luck!

Edited by fellowlearner

On 2/3/2022 at 2:19 PM, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

So I got matched with my employer 6 weeks ago. I am now waiting for graduate school admissions decisions! I am graduating from undergrad at the end of March. I am excited for these next few months ?. Anyone else?

Same, I got matched/accepted in December and now I'm waiting to find out who is gonna accept me and more importantly who is going to offer me funding! 

Edited by FlamingSenchi

On 2/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, Purduefellow said:

Yea I got accepted by Purdue for a fall start last November so I am waiting on an employer to “fall in love” with my application lol. I have my first scheduled interview for a company called synopsys never heard of them but they seem to be big players in the field I am jazzed about. Wish me luck. 

Good luck with Synopsys! It's a very well known company, especially to people in the semiconductor industry (they're biggest EDA vendor I believe). I talked to a recruiter there in November and it sounds like a good place to work at! 

5 hours ago, FlamingSenchi said:

Good luck with Synopsys! It's a very well known company, especially to people in the semiconductor industry (they're biggest EDA vendor I believe). I talked to a recruiter there in November and it sounds like a good place to work at! 

Thanks, the interview went well and what they’d need me for I am totally capable of doing. Just not sure it came across as such, the interviewer did say he would make attempts to place me somewhere within their company so I am not overly optimistic that I got in, I guess time will tell. 

49 minutes ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Hey, so GEM requested that I send a professional photo by February 15th. However, I have not had a chance to do this. We won't be dropped from the program for this right? ?️‍?️?️‍?️

i don't believe so! they claim that they will ask us if anything is missing in due time as well. however, many smartphones can take  good pic. You can even just take a nice headshot pose, and change the background using Faceapp or something haha

5 minutes ago, cheminator612 said:

i don't believe so! they claim that they will ask us if anything is missing in due time as well. however, many smartphones can take  good pic. You can even just take a nice headshot pose, and change the background using Faceapp or something haha

Okay, thanks for the reassurance!

I got the offer from MIT Lincoln Lab! I might accept it, but there’s this full-time job at NASA I’m applying for that I want to hear from. I might just accept the offer now and if I get the NASA offfer, I’ll probably accept that. I just don’t want to burn any bridges. Does anyone know if the offer is non-binding until I accept my grad school offer?

Okay, can someone help me understand this: my status is Held, and I got a notification that NASA (?!?!) responded to it, so I'm guessing they're holding it. What do I do? They haven't contacted me yet, but will they soon? Also, if they hold my application, can they subsequently drop it after? :( I'm excited, and kind of nervous because... freaking NASA!!

23 hours ago, ashtheengineer said:

Okay, can someone help me understand this: my status is Held, and I got a notification that NASA (?!?!) responded to it, so I'm guessing they're holding it. What do I do? They haven't contacted me yet, but will they soon? Also, if they hold my application, can they subsequently drop it after? :( I'm excited, and kind of nervous because... freaking NASA!!

Basically we just have to wait. I've been waiting on details from NASA at this point. There's a bit of back and forth on page 5ish where I and someone else talk about the fact that NASA is supposedly only taking Computer Science/ Software Engineers, so we weren't sure of what would happen with us. I've been told to wait for them to reach out. So here I am, accepted by two schools, patiently waiting to find out who will actually fund my schooling. 

2 hours ago, pagales14 said:

Basically we just have to wait. I've been waiting on details from NASA at this point. There's a bit of back and forth on page 5ish where I and someone else talk about the fact that NASA is supposedly only taking Computer Science/ Software Engineers, so we weren't sure of what would happen with us. I've been told to wait for them to reach out. So here I am, accepted by two schools, patiently waiting to find out who will actually fund my schooling. 

Yeah I wish we were given more of a definitive answer from NASA. They were my top choice and I would've love to have been selected by them and even got my app held by them twice, but I really do like the offer I got from MIT Lincoln Lab. Especially since I told them about NASA potentially not accepting people from my major and they pretty much just decided to take me on even after they already made final selections back in December. They do a lot of projects with NASA anyway, so it's not like I won't be doing something NASA-related.

Either one. The instructions are:

Please send via postal mail official, sealed transcripts for each institution (university/community college)
you matriculated in since high school to:
The National GEM Consortium
1430 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
OR Email to Fellowships@gemfellowship.org

1 hour ago, pagales14 said:

Either one. The instructions are:

Please send via postal mail official, sealed transcripts for each institution (university/community college)
you matriculated in since high school to:
The National GEM Consortium
1430 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
OR Email to Fellowships@gemfellowship.org

Okay, thanks. I went ahead and submitted an email delivery request. However, my instructions PDF does not include that last line that says that we can email them. Then again, I think the email that I was sent has not been updated since 2018.

Thanks.

Something that I am still not clear about is: let's say we get an internship offer and our graduate school admission, how is it determined whether or not we get the full benefits of being a GEM Fellow? Is it determined by the school? Or does GEM still need to review our application after we have received these two things?

On 2/23/2022 at 12:30 PM, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Something that I am still not clear about is: let's say we get an internship offer and our graduate school admission, how is it determined whether or not we get the full benefits of being a GEM Fellow? Is it determined by the school? Or does GEM still need to review our application after we have received these two things?

Not sure of that answer, perhaps someone already in the fellowship can answer that. 

my query is, if I do not end up with an employer is it guaranteed that I would be an associate fellow? Or would they simply say “better luck next time”.  Likely a question answered by someone who has been through the process. 

15 hours ago, Purduefellow said:

Not sure of that answer, perhaps someone already in the fellowship can answer that. 

my query is, if I do not end up with an employer is it guaranteed that I would be an associate fellow? Or would they simply say “better luck next time”.  Likely a question answered by someone who has been through the process. 

I'm a current University Fellow. I did not match with an employer last year/cycle, but my university sponsored me as a University Fellow (tuition + fees paid but no housing stipend or internship). However, it is not guaranteed that you'd be an associate/university fellow if you're not matched with an employer, as that would depend on if the specific school sponsors non-full fellows and if they're willing to sponsor you (ex. my university used to only accept full fellows but now they take non-full fellows as university fellows).

Also I did my undergrad at Purdue lol. Boiler up!

53 minutes ago, JJT said:

I'm a current University Fellow. I did not match with an employer last year/cycle, but my university sponsored me as a University Fellow (tuition + fees paid but no housing stipend or internship). However, it is not guaranteed that you'd be an associate/university fellow if you're not matched with an employer, as that would depend on if the specific school sponsors non-full fellows and if they're willing to sponsor you (ex. my university used to only accept full fellows but now they take non-full fellows as university fellows).

Also I did my undergrad at Purdue lol. Boiler up!

Heavenly sweet joy lol... I am so happy that I got a response from an active fellow.  I am somewhat hopeful that Purdue would sponsor me, they are listed as my "University Sponsor" on the "myfellowship" page not that it means anything but one can only hope.  Thank you very much for your prompt response and yes Boiler up! lol

46 minutes ago, FlamingSenchi said:

Just curious, does anyone's portal show that GEM received your official transcripts? I sent them out in December and it still says "not received."  

I submitted mine 2 weeks ago and they also say "not received". However, I think they said not to worry about this and they'll reach out if there are any issues.

19 hours ago, ashtheengineer said:

Has anyone been reached out to by Lam Research at all? I noticed that they matched with my application, and I would like to reach out to them if possible.

I am a Lam Research Fellow, and they have multiple divisions looking for GEM so I reccommend to wait but if they don't reach out within a week DM me and I'll give you the university rep.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, Jholidayss said:

I am a Lam Research Fellow, and they have multiple divisions looking for GEM so I reccommend to wait but if they don't reach out within a week DM me and I'll give you the university rep.

Unfortunately, they just released my application today. Thank you for your comment though.