GEM Fellowship 2022 Cycle

bellathechemist

For anyone trying to match keep taking initiative! I applied 3 times to GEM and I finally got matched this round. Perseverance is key! 

I have a bit of a dilemma. I graduated in December 2021.  I have a full time job-offer, from the same company that wants to sponsor me as a GEM fellow. The start time of the full time position is near when I will get admission results. The company is large so I'm pretty sure there's not a ton of interdepartmental communication. My plan is to hold off on full-time employment at the moment. PS I have not been given information on my internship start date or given an interview (but I have accepted the company sponsorship). Does anyone have any suggestions, or is someone in a similar situation.  - Thanks 

Did anyone interview with Apple and get a response back? I had two interviews with them and haven't heard anything since. I've followed up with the recruiter twice and have gotten crickets...like she's literally ghosting me and its so frustrating because I don't know if I should pursue something else.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:02 PM, jackdefellow7 said:

For anyone trying to match keep taking initiative! I applied 3 times to GEM and I finally got matched this round. Perseverance is key! 

I have a bit of a dilemma. I graduated in December 2021.  I have a full time job-offer, from the same company that wants to sponsor me as a GEM fellow. The start time of the full time position is near when I will get admission results. The company is large so I'm pretty sure there's not a ton of interdepartmental communication. My plan is to hold off on full-time employment at the moment. PS I have not been given information on my internship start date or given an interview (but I have accepted the company sponsorship). Does anyone have any suggestions, or is someone in a similar situation.  - Thanks 

How do you reach out to recuriters? This year GEM removed all the email contacts. Now it only has the company website. Last year I reach out to almost all the employers only 2 replied. No idea how they select candidates. Do you have any suggestion?

9 hours ago, rickyan said:

How do you reach out to recuriters? This year GEM removed all the email contacts. Now it only has the company website. Last year I reach out to almost all the employers only 2 replied. No idea how they select candidates. Do you have any suggestion?

Since recruiters aren't directly contactable, pursuing secondary connection would be your best bet. (1) I think one method would be to use LinkedIn to connect with past fellows or individuals in the company with some type of "inclusion/recruiter/diversity" title. I use LinkedIn to find the specific company > next search people > then I search GEM or other keywords i.e. (inclusion/recruiter/diversity)  (2) I have contacted previous GEM fellows during this term. Maybe reaching out to one and finding a lead also may be helpful. (3) Another thing that would be helpful is to go back and look at the 2021 GEM fellows. Observe which company sponsored the most candidates in your discipline and contact those companies. You can also reach out to those fellows using LinkedIn.  I hope this is helpful in some form. Keep pressing! 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:27 PM, rickyan said:

Hey, I'm not sure if you're interested in working with a national lab, but I reached out and sent my CV to specific PIs that have similar research interests as well as to the GEM point of contact at each lab. This netted me 4 interviews and I just accepted the GEM offer from LNNL. Good luck, you got this!

On 12/22/2021 at 10:03 PM, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

This means that an employer has expressed interest in you. You should be hearing from them within the next few days/week.

It seems they were not interested recently unmatched me with no interview, rough. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, forrestglobe said:

Did anyone interview with Apple and get a response back? I had two interviews with them and haven't heard anything since. I've followed up with the recruiter twice and have gotten crickets...like she's literally ghosting me and its so frustrating because I don't know if I should pursue something else.

I did! I just got accepted with them! interview like 5 time I think.

Greetings to all, I have been matched since early this year and got a notification that NASA has responded to my application.  I have 0 idea what that means and I sent an email to the "info@gemfellowship.org" to ask for clarification but to date I have nothing.

I did receive an email asking me to attend the seminar for applicants this week.  Can anyone make sense of what I am seeing?

I have applied to three schools and have been thus far accepted to two one of the two I applied to shows up in GEMs as "applied" whereas the other two are still saying "pending verification" I did self report the other two to read "applied" but it seems there has not been any official action taken by GEMs.  Any insight that you folks can provide from your experience and/or knowledge is very much appreciated as I bite my nails hoping to land this fellowship.

From what I understand, the notifications  on the eGEM dashboard (located where you would click the bell icon in the top right corner of the page) don’t really matter unless you get an email or call from that company. I even called GEM and they confirmed that that notification doesn’t matter unless the company contacts you, usually from outside the website, or you see an offer letter in the dashboard. I got the exact same message from MIT Lincoln Lab a few weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since.

Also, I got the same email about the seminar too and from my understanding (and according to my friend who got the fellowship last year), it basically means that so long as you have applied to three schools by Jan. 15th and attend the seminar, you will most likely be receiving a GEM Fellowship, so long as you accept both the fellowship offer and the GEM Employer offer, if you receive one. At this point, we’re kind of at the mercy of the employers and if you get stuck with a company you really don’t like, it looks like you’d have to reject the fellowship altogether.

Lastly, I’m pretty sure as long as you say you applied to three schools by Jan. 15th in the portal, you should be fine. I think they contact the reps at the schools to verify that you applied anyway, so it may not update in the portal for a while.

Edited by fellowlearner

1 hour ago, fellowlearner said:

From what I understand, the notifications  on the eGEM dashboard (located where you would click the bell icon in the top right corner of the page) don’t really matter unless you get an email or call from that company. I even called GEM and they confirmed that that notification doesn’t matter unless the company contacts you, usually from outside the website. I got the exact same message from MIT Lincoln Lab a few weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since.

Also, I got the same email about the seminar too and from my understanding (and according to my friend who got the fellowship last year), it basically means that so long as you have applied to three schools by Jan. 15th and attend the seminar, you will most likely be receiving a GEM Fellowship, so as long as you accept both the fellowship offer and the GEM Employer offer, if you receive one. At this point, we’re kind of at the mercy of the employers and if you get stuck with a company you really don’t like, it looks like you’d have to reject the fellowship altogether.

Lastly, I’m pretty sure as long as you say you applied to three schools by Jan. 15th in the portal, you should be fine. I think they contact the reps at the schools to verify that you applied anyway, so it may not update in the portal for a while.

I really pray that you’re correct, it would be epic to have my doctorate paid for by this program. 

wait so if i am interviewing with a few companies but I really want to work with one specifically, should I emphasize to them that I am interviewing with other companies specifically for gem? in case another company goes for the snipe

On 12/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, momo1129 said:

hmm my status just changed from Matched to Held.. I wonder if I will get a call soon.

Did you eventually get a call?  I went from matched to held within the past 24 hours and have yet to receive any email from the employer or GEMs. I am slightly confused…

2 hours ago, Purduefellow said:

Did you eventually get a call?  I went from matched to held within the past 24 hours and have yet to receive any email from the employer or GEMs. I am slightly confused…

I also went from matched to held and didn't hear anything :(

17 hours ago, nonexpert2055 said:

I also went from matched to held and didn't hear anything :(

Yeah, I just got an offer a week ago, but I've had to accept it twice now. The company who offered didn't even interview me though. A different company did. I've gotten nothing so far from the company that offered. Also I sent GEM my transcripts electronically last week and they still haven't changed my status. This is a little unnerving ngl.

21 minutes ago, pagales14 said:

Yeah, I just got an offer a week ago, but I've had to accept it twice now. The company who offered didn't even interview me though. A different company did. I've gotten nothing so far from the company that offered. Also I sent GEM my transcripts electronically last week and they still haven't changed my status. This is a little unnerving ngl.

Yea! Very unnerving.

23 hours ago, pkgts said:

wait so if i am interviewing with a few companies but I really want to work with one specifically, should I emphasize to them that I am interviewing with other companies specifically for gem? in case another company goes for the snipe

You should say something along the lines of, "THIS company is my top choice. However, I am also interviewing with other companies at this time".

5 minutes ago, Purduefellow said:

Well that’s good right?  It means you’ve been selected…

Well yeah I suppose so... but I was mentioning it because some others had mentioned that they already submitted their official transcripts.

By the way is anyone else attending the GEM Next Steps webinar tomorrow?

Edited by Low Calorie Sweetner

On 1/17/2022 at 11:26 PM, Purduefellow said:

Greetings to all, I have been matched since early this year and got a notification that NASA has responded to my application.  I have 0 idea what that means and I sent an email to the "info@gemfellowship.org" to ask for clarification but to date I have nothing.

I did receive an email asking me to attend the seminar for applicants this week.  Can anyone make sense of what I am seeing?

I have applied to three schools and have been thus far accepted to two one of the two I applied to shows up in GEMs as "applied" whereas the other two are still saying "pending verification" I did self report the other two to read "applied" but it seems there has not been any official action taken by GEMs.  Any insight that you folks can provide from your experience and/or knowledge is very much appreciated as I bite my nails hoping to land this fellowship.

I believe that GEM has until February 1st to verify your university application status. So I would not worry about that until then.

3 minutes ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

Well yeah I suppose so... but I was mentioning it because some others had mentioned that they already submitted their official transcripts.

I am attending! 

18 minutes ago, Low Calorie Sweetner said:

I will be there too, looking to give myself every chance at succeeding with this.