Bay Area MSW Fall 2022

starmie

I didn't see a topic for this. I just finished applying to UC Berkeley and Cal State East Bay. (Still a month left for SF State if I change my mind and apply there, but it seems WAY harder to get into, while being less in line with my interests.)

So many months of waiting ahead, ugh!

Ha, I'm a very long-winded person so I had trouble cutting my personal history statement down to 2 pages! My statement of purpose was 4 pages. I doubt they care as long as you follow the directions on length.

But maybe going to the zoom admissions advising office hours would be reassuring? I zoomed in to them last month, and the admissions advisor was really nice and gave concrete answers (in my case, to questions about how to format my resumé).

https://socialwelfare.berkeley.edu/admissions/admissions-advising-and-recruiting

10 hours ago, starmie said:

Ha, I'm a very long-winded person so I had trouble cutting my personal history statement down to 2 pages! My statement of purpose was 4 pages. I doubt they care as long as you follow the directions on length.

But maybe going to the zoom admissions advising office hours would be reassuring? I zoomed in to them last month, and the admissions advisor was really nice and gave concrete answers (in my case, to questions about how to format my resumé).

https://socialwelfare.berkeley.edu/admissions/admissions-advising-and-recruiting

That is the length I have for mine! I didn't see anywhere where it said the length of the essays! But now that you say that, I wonder if my resume is formatted correctly! Thank you so much for your help!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/17/2022 at 8:19 PM, Moomoo777 said:

Hello! I applied to CSUMB AND SJSU. Anyone else apply here and heard that admissions take as long as June to decide?

Hey, did you hear back from SJSU? I should have applied to other schools. ? 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:21 AM, starmie said:

I didn't see a topic for this. I just finished applying to UC Berkeley and Cal State East Bay. (Still a month left for SF State if I change my mind and apply there, but it seems WAY harder to get into, while being less in line with my interests.)

So many months of waiting ahead, ugh!

Did you hear back for any schools. What was your GPA like if you don’t mine me asking. 

6 minutes ago, Blacksheep said:

Hey, did you hear back from SJSU? I should have applied to other schools. ? 

Hey! No I haven’t. I heard back with a denial from CSUMB yesterday :( have you heard back from sjsu? I should have applied to more than just two schools... 

2 hours ago, Moomoo777 said:

Hey! No I haven’t. I heard back with a denial from CSUMB yesterday :( have you heard back from sjsu? I should have applied to more than just two schools... 

my coworkers and I have not heard back yet from sjsu. My friends, friend was accepted last week. I also saw that a person was accepted last week on Twitter. I know my friend who graduated a few years ago from sjsu, didn’t receive his letter until mid April. 

On 4/7/2022 at 12:24 PM, Blacksheep said:

Did you hear back for any schools. What was your GPA like if you don’t mine me asking. 

In early March I heard that I got into Berkeley, but I still haven't heard from CSUEB!

My GPA was 3.23 (and not in anything related to social work) but I have a lot of work experience.

Just heard from CSUEB that I was waitlisted. I've already decided to go to Berkeley because the location is better for me, but I'm pretty surprised--I assumed CSUEB would be easier to get into. Just goes to show you can't predict where you'll get in!

1 hour ago, starmie said:

Just heard from CSUEB that I was waitlisted. I've already decided to go to Berkeley because the location is better for me, but I'm pretty surprised--I assumed CSUEB would be easier to get into. Just goes to show you can't predict where you'll get in!

I was also rejected from CSUEB last year - I ultimately went to Berkeley!

On 4/8/2022 at 11:36 PM, starmie said:

In early March I heard that I got into Berkeley, but I still haven't heard from CSUEB!

My GPA was 3.23 (and not in anything related to social work) but I have a lot of work experience.

Congrats. Berkeley is like the dream school for. What is the tuition like for Berkeley? I know they don’t have a online program /: 

16 hours ago, Blacksheep said:

Congrats. Berkeley is like the dream school for. What is the tuition like for Berkeley? I know they don’t have a online program /: 

In state tuition is about $10,000 per semester - around $40000 in total. I think health insurance adds about 3000 per semester? Housing is not cheap either - off campus housing usually starts around $900 for a shared room. If you wanted to split a 2 bedroom apartment you'd be paying like $1500 or more monthly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

I heard back from San Jose State University last Wednesday! They stated that the Hybrid program is full, however they offered me a spot in the 2 year on-campus program, so I accepted!! ☺️ Anyone else possibly going to be in the same cohort? Hope all is well with everyone on this forum!

1 hour ago, Moomoo777 said:

Hey all!

I heard back from San Jose State University last Wednesday! They stated that the Hybrid program is full, however they offered me a spot in the 2 year on-campus program, so I accepted!! ☺️ Anyone else possibly going to be in the same cohort? Hope all is well with everyone on this forum!

Congrats. That is not good news for me. /: can I ask your GPA and experience? 

Hey @Blacksheep

My GPA is 3.4 with a degree in Justice Studies and minor in Philosophy graduated from SJSU. I have direct experience at my job for over 2 years. I work at a mental health office as an Admin. 

Which program did you apply for? I know that they are still sending out approval letters so try not to lose hope. :( I will be praying for you! 

2 hours ago, Moomoo777 said:

Hey @Blacksheep

My GPA is 3.4 with a degree in Justice Studies and minor in Philosophy graduated from SJSU. I have direct experience at my job for over 2 years. I work at a mental health office as an Admin. 

Which program did you apply for? I know that they are still sending out approval letters so try not to lose hope. :( I will be praying for you! 

The hybrid for SJSU ??? I don’t like my chances tbh 

Hey @Blacksheep

I also applied for the Hybrid program! It is possible that you will still get in to either the 2 year or 3 year On-Campus program! They emailed me and asked if I would be interested in the on-campus program. I will be praying for you my friend. ❣️ I am sure you put a lot of effort into your application. 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:27 AM, Moomoo777 said:

Hey all!

Hii, 

Today I was emailed my acceptance for the 2-year/ on-campus MSW program at SJSU! Did your application status change right away once you received your acceptance email on your MYSJSU account? 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:12 PM, deepbluee said:

Hii, 

Today I was emailed my acceptance for the 2-year/ on-campus MSW program at SJSU! Did your application status change right away once you received your acceptance email on your MYSJSU account? 

Helloooo,

I was emailed to by SJSU letting me know I was accepted into the 3 year on campus part time programs. I was emotional to say the least. I was tearing up in my car, thinking if my dad can see me now. By the time I graduate, I’ll be in my 40s ??? 

On 5/2/2022 at 2:31 PM, Moomoo777 said:

Hey @Blacksheep

I also applied for the Hybrid program! It is possible that you will still get in to either the 2 year or 3 year On-Campus program! They emailed me and asked if I would be interested in the on-campus program. I will be praying for you my friend. ❣️ I am sure you put a lot of effort into your application. 

Heyyy @Moomoo777

I received an email today letting me know I have been accepted to the three year on campus program. I’m still really wanting the hybrid program. Hope I can find a job where I can get paid for Internship hours. I’m so charged up.