Is the option to "Master out" of a PhD available everywhere?

BritoLaptop

On 11/28/2021 at 6:27 PM, BritoLaptop said:

Seven years is a long time. If the worst happens, it'd be nice to leave with a degree to show for my effort. 

So, is the option to "Master out" of a PhD available at all schools, or is that something to look for?

It's an option at every program I know. I wouldn't go into a PhD program thinking about it, however.

I took the MA and ran because of two major reasons:

1) I was thoroughly and completely done with academia, from the institutional structures to more personal areas.

2) I saw far too many colleagues (working in areas similar to my own) having trouble finding any type of permanent employment. Many of them had fascinating dissertations, several publications, awards, and good teaching records. They couldn't find secure employment.

I was the second person in my cohort to leave the program. Two more have followed.

If you go this route, consider carefully your MA options.

• A thesis option or a report option will produce a writing sample that may serve you in the job market.
  • A MA earned by passing qualifying exams may not provide a similar benefit even though that path arguably has greater challenges.

Either/or, make sure that your path secures eligibility to join your school's alumni association, and join that association as soon as possible.

Also, don't show your hand until you are absolutely sure you want to stop. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 4:54 PM, Sigaba said:

If you go this route, consider carefully your MA options.

• A thesis option or a report option will produce a writing sample that may serve you in the job market.
  • A MA earned by passing qualifying exams may not provide a similar benefit even though that path arguably has greater challenges.

Either/or, make sure that your path secures eligibility to join your school's alumni association, and join that association as soon as possible.

Also, don't show your hand until you are absolutely sure you want to stop. 

Agreed here. Make sure that your PhD adviser would be the FIRST to know.... not through rumors.  To deceive your department for that long might be hard to do because you will need to build collegial relationships (and you will through graduate seminars) in order to survive (and thrive) in a grueling MA/PhD program. If you alienate yourself deliberately, believe me, no one will then care and ignore you.  But then again, it's a long time to be lonely.  I've seen it happened -- those folks had to build a life, like, literally, outside of the university in order to make it to "mastering out."

There are still plenty of MA programs with funding if that's what you're looking for -- a way to fund your MA degree.

(I still have a little chip in my shoulder after witnessing students who received the department's money in competitions master out when others really needed that money in order to finish (and they did but not without cost... they could have really used that money.).)

On 12/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, TMP said:

To deceive your department for that long...

(I still have a little chip in my shoulder after witnessing students who received the department's money in competitions master out when others really needed that money in order to finish (and they did but not without cost... they could have really used that money.).)

Not trying to be intentionally provocative here, and I can certainly sympathize with this frustration (I also agree that it's not a good idea to go into a PhD with the express intent of mastering out). But are you sure that none of those you witnessed involuntarily mastered out? As someone who involuntarily mastered out of a former PhD program, I can say that I didn't intend to waste department money, take money from more deserving students, and certainly didn't willingly deceive anyone. If on the other hand, everyone you have in mind voluntarily did this with little regard for how it could affect others, then I get it. Just wanted to offer the reminder that if you see someone in a PhD program master out, it may not have always been their decision.