Gates-Cambridge Interviews (U.S. Applicants) 2021-2022

frodo2021

Hey, has anyone started hearing about interviews? The GC timeline says that all applicants should know their interview status today, 12/1/2021. I was curious if I was the only one waiting, or if anyone else knew anything.

xoxo

Edited by frodo2021
Added dates

• frodo2021 changed the title to Gates-Cambridge Interviews (U.S. Applicants) 2021-2022

Still waiting to hear the application results; however, the website says that GC will not conduct interviews this year. Instead, finalists will be evaluated based on their application material in the final round. I believe GC did this last year during the pandemic.

How odd. I've been wondering if the application portal would provide any "breadcrumbs" to follow. From previous threads I've looked at on the grad cafe, folks who received offers from their department noted that their application status in the portal transitioned from "Under review by department" to "Under review by degree committee" and eventually "Under review by GAO". So, if your application moves past the departmental review, that's likely a good sign (at least, for a departmental acceptance).

I should note that my best friend (a previous GC Scholar) was rejected from the PhD program he applied for, so nothing is guaranteed even with a previous GC on your resume. He applied during the first week of October, and received his rejection letter a couple weeks ago.

Well done and congrats! If you'll help me test a theory, I'm curious about your application status within the applicant portal. Has your application progressed past the departmental review? Lastly, does this mean you've received an offer from your department?

@Sam17 I never checked my application status within the portal and I do not think you can specifically check on the Gates-Cambridge Status. On the University side, I was interviewed by my department on November 11th, and received my conditional offer from the University on November 25th, but I did not get an offer from a college until yesterday (at nearly the same time as my GC notification).

• 2 weeks later...

I applied in the US round. I still didn't get any notification yet. Have you all got your "finalist" or rejection email?

But just yesterday my admission status changed to "under review by Degree Committee." Was my admission process dragging too long? I was interviewed on Nov. 23rd.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, shenyrd said:

I received my official Gates Cambridge scholarship offer yesterday (Arts Panel)!! I don't know if all panels have sent out their results yet, but I thought I would pass this update along.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing some more prof info: the department you applied for and whether you are PhD or MPhil? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, shenyrd said:

I received my official Gates Cambridge scholarship offer yesterday (Arts Panel)!! I don't know if all panels have sent out their results yet, but I thought I would pass this update along.

What was the deadline they gave you to reply by? 

Congratulations!

For some reason the Gates discussion on this forum this year is not as active as last year.....

On 1/17/2022 at 10:15 AM, smellycat said:

Does anyone know how candidates are selected/the unis approach for this? Are all candidates reviewed by the GC committee? Or just the ones that the uni has shortlisted? 

From the description of their website and the past posts on this forum, no, only the ones nominated by the department (maybe 1-2 per department?) get viewed by the GC committee.

However, I did once receive an email from GC telling me that "we will be considering your application if you are made an offer by your prospective department." But not sure if this sentence should be taken literally.

Congratulations!! Just wondering if you applied in the US round or international? 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:41 PM, Elwynn11 said:

From the description of their website and the past posts on this forum, no, only the ones nominated by the department (maybe 1-2 per department?) get viewed by the GC committee.

However, I did once receive an email from GC telling me that "we will be considering your application if you are made an offer by your prospective department." But not sure if this sentence should be taken literally.

May I ask when you were contacted by Gates Cambridge? Also did you receive a conditional acceptance before that? Thanks! 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:32 PM, Elwynn11 said:

Congratulations!

For some reason the Gates discussion on this forum this year is not as active as last year.....

Thank you!

On 1/27/2022 at 11:42 AM, Thegoldfinch said:

What was the deadline they gave you to reply by? 

7 hours ago, Crabhead nebula said:

Congratulations!! Just wondering if you applied in the US round or international? 

Thanks! I applied in the US round, and I don't remember the exact date but it was a couple weeks ago (within a week of when I received the offer email). 

May I ask when you were contacted by Gates Cambridge? Also did you receive a conditional acceptance before that? Thanks! 

November - received conditional acceptance to Cambridge

Early December - notified that I was a finalist for the GC scholarship

January 17th - awarded GC scholarship

In my experience, the timeline given on the GC website was accurate!

I contacted them in Dec for a special situation in my own application. They will not contact you if you don't contact them. I didn't have a conditional offer by then (thats why they said that in the email).

At this moment, I suppose you are in the international round? As I was told (and what the website also says), you will hear news in early March whether you enter the final competition or not. 

34 minutes ago, Elwynn11 said:

I contacted them in Dec for a special situation in my own application. They will not contact you if you don't contact them. I didn't have a conditional offer by then (thats why they said that in the email).

At this moment, I suppose you are in the international round? As I was told (and what the website also says), you will hear news in early March whether you enter the final competition or not. 

Thank you so much for explaining! Good luck to you ?

• 2 weeks later...