2022 Applicants

Does anyone have any insights into Rochester's lit programme? So far it's my best fit given my joint interest in visual studies and time studies.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that Rochester never bothered to respond to certain applications-- not even a rejection letter. Was that even Rochester I wonder! Any red flags and I won't apply because my circumstances are pretty straitened already-- I can apply to a meagre 7-8.

Thanks a lot!

I decided quite a while ago to which programmes in the US I wanted to apply, and only now I'm seeing that one of the programmes isn't taking applicants for next year. :'D Fortunately, they have another programme available that's quite similar, so I might try for that one instead (also depending on what they say with regard to language requirements, because my other programme does have my situation listed as a potential one in which you can get a waiver). Still, I hate this moment so much for an application time, as I'm only now developing my research ideas in my programme and will write my thesis next semester, so I might just try for a few this year and if it doesn't work out try again next year.

1 hour ago, labradoodle said:

I decided quite a while ago to which programmes in the US I wanted to apply, and only now I'm seeing that one of the programmes isn't taking applicants for next year. :'D Fortunately, they have another programme available that's quite similar, so I might try for that one instead (also depending on what they say with regard to language requirements, because my other programme does have my situation listed as a potential one in which you can get a waiver). Still, I hate this moment so much for an application time, as I'm only now developing my research ideas in my programme and will write my thesis next semester, so I might just try for a few this year and if it doesn't work out try again next year.

My guess is that program is Duke? I was hugely disappointed when I found that out ???

If anyone is having nerves about emailing potential LOR writers, just do it! If you haven't already, now's the time to start reaching out! I know it can be intimidating, but writing LOR is a big part of your professors' jobs, and they've definitely been asked many times before. So don't feel weird about it!

Ok, that's it for my pep talk!

Also, does anyone know with regard to US unis: do they or do they not want you to propose an exact small niche that you want to research (as in a proposal question)? I'm mainly putting all my stress right now into developing my interests further and turning them into a PhD proposal, but would the US really be okay with you just putting down your general interests? I had hoped to receive more information from my teachers, for instance, or from other students applying in my programme, but that's not really happening unfortunately.

Edited by labradoodle

Yes exactly! I think I'm going to apply for their English programme now instead of literatures. But I'm so sorry!

Good luck!! But I won't be applying for the English program because the faculty is just not the same...

Also, does anyone know with regard to US unis: do they or do they not want you to propose an exact small niche that you want to research (as in a proposal question)? I'm mainly putting all my stress right now into developing my interests further and turning them into a PhD proposal, but would the US really be okay with you just putting down your general interests? I had hoped to receive more information from my teachers, for instance, or from other students applying in my programme, but that's not really happening unfortunately.

I want to know too! I feel like if I propose a very small niche that might make me look like I'm inflexible and unwilling to learn things outside the area. If I put down a broad area then it might mean that I don't know the topic enough. My professors are not sharing much information and advice with me too. I hope this is not because no one, professors and students included, actually knows the answer to this question??

On 10/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, sadevilminion said:

If anyone is having nerves about emailing potential LOR writers, just do it! If you haven't already, now's the time to start reaching out! I know it can be intimidating, but writing LOR is a big part of your professors' jobs, and they've definitely been asked many times before. So don't feel weird about it!

Haha this is really nice and I have been trying to write to my MA dissertation supervisor ever since your post but alas! He was my supervisor three years ago and the world has changed in so many ways since then and yes I had my MA in a different country (so no chances of showing up in his office to rattle his memory). He was pretty nice back then but what are the chances of a supervisor even vaguely remembering you if you have not been in touch and you were never a genius or your work was just as nondescript as a subway joint? Will sending the work help or sending the SOPs help? Or do you just write first? How do you approach a teacher after three years?

1 hour ago, Hard times! said:

Will sending the work help or sending the SOPs help? Or do you just write first? How do you approach a teacher after three years?

I think since you have not had contact for a good amount of time, I would start with a more general re-introductory email. Remind them of your general goals and research interests, your intent to apply for PhD programs, and that you are reaching out to ask them for a little. I would also include something like  - "If you feel like you are able to write a strong letter for me, I would happy to send over my application materials (SOP, CV, Writing Sample)." You may also wish to ask them to help review your materials and that you would be happy to set up a zoom meeting if it would be beneficial. 

Thanks so much! I will try to do that as soon as possible! Just the prospect of my supervisor saying a 'no' is keeping me from writing but of all my recommenders he would perhaps be best able to comment on my research ideas.

I'm quite salty about something tbh: I couldn't start my applications till last month (when I was too busy with classes starting again,which is on me, sure), but only now I can really find clear info about the language tests and potential waivers (which is probably also on me, sure, but this is a rant more than a real complaint lol), and the applications are open for only 2 months or so, but TOEFL states you need to do the test 2/3 months before your earliest admission deadline, which is basically impossible. But now I'm finding info that I'm probably not eligible for waivers in the U.S. unis I wanted to apply to (most other places, even in the UK, where I'm considering applying waive the tests for me), even though I've literally been studying almost exclusively in English for the last 4 years.. So annoying, honestly. :( I know I should've just done it earlier, but I wanted to first start the application and figure out all the info to make sure I really wanted to and not waste any money (which turned out to make sense because one of my programmes just didn't open for new applicants this year). I'll contact them anyway with "I literally studied English, in English, what more do you want" emails, but I'm not too optimistic lol. Still, especially because it's clear so late whether they're actually taking on new applicants, I do feel like this is a bit of a shitty policy towards internationals, but whatever haha.

Edited by labradoodle

• dr. t pinned this topic
17 hours ago, labradoodle said:

I'm quite salty about something tbh: I couldn't start my applications till last month (when I was too busy with classes starting again,which is on me, sure), but only now I can really find clear info about the language tests and potential waivers (which is probably also on me, sure, but this is a rant more than a real complaint lol), and the applications are open for only 2 months or so, but TOEFL states you need to do the test 2/3 months before your earliest admission deadline, which is basically impossible. But now I'm finding info that I'm probably not eligible for waivers in the U.S. unis I wanted to apply to (most other places, even in the UK, where I'm considering applying waive the tests for me), even though I've literally been studying almost exclusively in English for the last 4 years.. So annoying, honestly. :( I know I should've just done it earlier, but I wanted to first start the application and figure out all the info to make sure I really wanted to and not waste any money (which turned out to make sense because one of my programmes just didn't open for new applicants this year). I'll contact them anyway with "I literally studied English, in English, what more do you want" emails, but I'm not too optimistic lol. Still, especially because it's clear so late whether they're actually taking on new applicants, I do feel like this is a bit of a shitty policy towards internationals, but whatever haha.

Where does it state that applicants need to take TOEFL 2/3 months before deadline?! TOEFL is also not the only English proficiency test that US schools accept. What about taking IELTS instead?

8 minutes ago, Alyson said:

Where does it state that applicants need to take TOEFL 2/3 months before deadline?! TOEFL is also not the only English proficiency test that US schools accept. What about taking IELTS instead?

Can you still apply without a proficiency test? In many cases the proficiency test is not a departmental requirement at all and schools are ready to consider your application without the test. Of course this is provisional and even if you are made an offer it will be conditional but I am sure you'll have plenty of time then. Or have I made this up in my head because it's convenient? I am an international applicant too but in my case, some schools list my country as an English-speaking one while others don't.

1 hour ago, Alyson said:

It says so on the site of TOEFL itself, and it's just too expensive to gamble with. I just assumed IELTS would be similar, but you're right!! I'm gonna decide today if I'm taking the IELTS next week, lol. Thank you! (I swear I'm not as disorganized as I seem here, haha.)

6 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Can you still apply without a proficiency test? In many cases the proficiency test is not a departmental requirement at all and schools are ready to consider your application without the test. Of course this is provisional and even if you are made an offer it will be conditional but I am sure you'll have plenty of time then. Or have I made this up in my head because it's convenient? I am an international applicant too but in my case, some schools list my country as an English-speaking one while others don't.

I think the language proficiency requirement doesn't work like that in the US...but then again some schools (e.g. Stanford) waive the test if the applicant has a degree in an Anglophone country or a degree in which English was the sole medium of instruction. But of course, many are still requiring proficiency test scores and GRE scores (e.g. Yale). 

5 hours ago, labradoodle said:

It says so on the site of TOEFL itself, and it's just too expensive to gamble with. I just assumed IELTS would be similar, but you're right!! I'm gonna decide today if I'm taking the IELTS next week, lol. Thank you! (I swear I'm not as disorganized as I seem here, haha.)

No...I don't think IELTS has the same requirement (and I was also not aware of the 2/3 months requirement by TOEFL....) Good luck!!

Edited by Alyson

Does anyone have insights into which English departments draw on philosophy a lot? I mean of course much of literary theory is based off of philosophical ideas but there are certain issues in philosophy which English departments do not typically deal with anymore because they tend to border too much on 'formalism'. Issues like how metaphors are conceived, current theories of imagination, phenomenology (a lot of affect theory does draw on this but not enough), time and cognition and so on-- does anyone know which English departments (not Stanford or Berkeley and the like but more 'modest ones) would perhaps be interested? 

7 hours ago, Hard times! said:

To add on to Alyson, I've only come across the proficiency-test-after-the-deadline situation at Oxford and Cambridge, I think, but other UK unis are a lot less strict with proficiency, meaning that you can meet the requirements in many more different ways. For instance, you might meet the requirement if your programme was in English, or even if you got a certain high school diploma with a certain grade. Hope that helps!

I'm applying for fall 2022. I'm incredibly nervous because I graduated undergrad 7 years ago! I'm applying to top-ranked programs (for a really wide range of reasons) and my undergrad degree in English was from a mid-sized state school and my MBA is from a small state school. I've applied to conferences this year as an independent scholar but have not heard back. It's been a challenge applying so far out from getting my degrees!

19 minutes ago, literaryhistorynerd said:

I'm applying for fall 2022. I'm incredibly nervous because I graduated undergrad 7 years ago! I'm applying to top-ranked programs (for a really wide range of reasons) and my undergrad degree in English was from a mid-sized state school and my MBA is from a small state school. I've applied to conferences this year as an independent scholar but have not heard back. It's been a challenge applying so far out from getting my degrees!

Good luck with all of your application preparation!! 

On 10/23/2021 at 4:46 PM, Hard times! said:

Does anyone have insights into which English departments draw on philosophy a lot? I mean of course much of literary theory is based off of philosophical ideas but there are certain issues in philosophy which English departments do not typically deal with anymore because they tend to border too much on 'formalism'. Issues like how metaphors are conceived, current theories of imagination, phenomenology (a lot of affect theory does draw on this but not enough), time and cognition and so on-- does anyone know which English departments (not Stanford or Berkeley and the like but more 'modest ones) would perhaps be interested? 

I'd say it really depends on what kind of philosophy you're talking about. This might be stating the obvious, but I initially thought 'philosophy and literature' was a somewhat comprehensive field, when it's really not. However, I'm mentioning it because I initially thought of Berkeley as a good fit bc I'm interested in philosophy and literature, and even critical theory in particular, only to find out they really mainly do gender and race and not thaaat much else. You might want to check out the journal 'philosophy and literature' (maybe the words are switched around, idk), and see where the people writing on these specific things come from. I've seen that Binghamton has this kind of dual programme, so that might be to your taste, and I think Purdue might as well (though with specifics I can't really help you, unfortunately). Regardless, I feel like usually they have a 'philosophy and literature' tag on their faculty page, so that might be of some help!

My language test waiver got approved by Columbia!! whoo (thank god because that test is like 5 hours and I have done enough fill-in-the-preposition and multiple choice questions to boring but ambiguous texts in high school English classes to last me a lifetime)

2 minutes ago, labradoodle said:

I'd say it really depends on what kind of philosophy you're talking about. This might be stating the obvious, but I initially thought 'philosophy and literature' was a somewhat comprehensive field, when it's really not. However, I'm mentioning it because I initially thought of Berkeley as a good fit bc I'm interested in philosophy and literature, and even critical theory in particular, only to find out they really mainly do gender and race and not thaaat much else. You might want to check out the journal 'philosophy and literature' (maybe the words are switched around, idk), and see where the people writing on these specific things come from. I've seen that Binghamton has this kind of dual programme, so that might be to your taste, and I think Purdue might as well (though with specifics I can't really help you, unfortunately). Regardless, I feel like usually they have a 'philosophy and literature' tag on their faculty page, so that might be of some help!

Yeah, Purdue has a separate pathway called philosophy and literature but they didn't do admissions last year and haven't said anything about this year's admissions. The UK has many options in that direction but unfortunately their funding situation is quite bad. I will look up Binghamton, thank you. I think UNC, Chapel Hill has the 'philosophy and literature' tag as well. 

On 10/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, sadevilminion said:

Thanks so much for your pep talk! I wrote to my old supervisor and he was so forthcoming! If not for your post I wouldn't have dared to write to him :D

Hey guys - this is a pretty basic question, but I feel like it might make a difference with what I'm doing in my apps – is there preferred formatting for the first page of the critical writing sample? Obviously it should have a title page,  but do I need to put my name with 'writing sample for so and so application' on there? 

I'm using a couple chapters from my master's dissertation, so I know I need to include a brief paragraph providing some kind of context for that on the title page. But what about a table of contents? It will likely just be two, maybe three chapters. 

Thanks in advance!