2022 Applicants

Hi! I was offered admission into UofT and McMaster for a masters in English. I have been offered a cgsm, paid TA-ship, and option to do thesis or coursework at McMaster. I have no funding other than OSAP for UofT and its only coursework, they dont offer TA-ship for MA students. I want to pursue a PhD so I am not sure which uni would be best. I am undecided because UofT program hasn't offered CGSM yet and the program is stronger than McMaster English. Does anyone know about the McMaster English MA program? Thanks!

This is my second cycle applying for PhDs and I ended up at a fully funded Masters with a TAship and an additional award. I came into this cycle from a very dark place last cycle. I've been a public school ELA teacher for the past 5 years (without a Master's), and desperate to realize my dream of a PhD program but feeling stuck and unappreciated as an educator. My research interests are in Rhetoric and still K-12 focused.

I'm very happy with the program I ended up with. It was absolutely about "fit" more than anything else. I really didn't think that a fully funded Master's program with a TAship was even in the realm of possibility because they seem so difficult to find, especially after COVID. But I'm excited to be a part of a program that is excited to have me!

I guess I'm writing this because it is what I would have appreciated reading as I scoured these forums this cycle or last cycle. I hope everyone else ended up somewhere they are happy with as well.

Edited by Cordelipup

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm still officially waitlisted at CUNY (Comparative Literature), but it really feels like a joke now. I wrote to the program director last week to express my continued interest and he hasn't responded. I am having a really hard time understanding why they won't just officially reject me. It's not as if I would be paying for the program and they could possibly profit from keeping me hanging until the last possible second. Any thoughts?