University of Alberta, MPH applicants Fall 2022.

Kayne Mbego

Hello all!

I applied to U of A's MPH in Health Policy & Management in mid January and have been "Under Review" for the last two weeks or so. I applied with a GPA of 3.62 /4.0 in my last 2 years of study, and 1 year worth of work experience at a bloodwork/COVID laboratory.

Aside from here I also applied to Western University's MPH program and U of T's MHI in Health Informatics. I received a rejection letter from U of T just 3 days ago :( so I've lost quite a bit of confidence since they look only at the last year's GPA which was higher for me (4.10 /4.3). Perhaps my statement of interest wasn't strong enough, or my work experience in healthcare is too limited as a fairly recent graduate.

Looking to stay hopeful for my remaining two applications! Let's keep each other posted :) 

On 3/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, sadge pepes said:

Hello all!

I applied to U of A's MPH in Health Policy & Management in mid January and have been "Under Review" for the last two weeks or so. I applied with a GPA of 3.62 /4.0 in my last 2 years of study, and 1 year worth of work experience at a bloodwork/COVID laboratory.

Aside from here I also applied to Western University's MPH program and U of T's MHI in Health Informatics. I received a rejection letter from U of T just 3 days ago :( so I've lost quite a bit of confidence since they look only at the last year's GPA which was higher for me (4.10 /4.3). Perhaps my statement of interest wasn't strong enough, or my work experience in healthcare is too limited as a fairly recent graduate.

Looking to stay hopeful for my remaining two applications! Let's keep each other posted :) 

Hey there! I'm not familiar with U of T's process but I would say you seem pretty competitive for U of A with your experience and GPA :) I think as long as your statement of intent was really genuine you should have a good shot! Fingers crossed my friend I applied for the same stream! 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:46 AM, whatthefriction said:

Hey there! I'm not familiar with U of T's process but I would say you seem pretty competitive for U of A with your experience and GPA :) I think as long as your statement of intent was really genuine you should have a good shot! Fingers crossed my friend I applied for the same stream! 

Thanks for the reassurance! If the university follows last year's trends according to people from last year's forums, we may start hearing back as early as next week (but probably later since they extended the application deadline this year). Fingers crossed for the both of us :)

Had a mini heart-attack because I got an email about an update on my admission status but it was just the admissions department following up on a question I had about orientation.

I didnt ask about a timeline but they mentioned to me in the email that all applications will be under review until the end of March and final admissions decisions will be communicated in early April - so I guess this means I can stop compulsively checking until then ?

Looks like we need to hang in there for two more weeks.

18 minutes ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Had a mini heart-attack because I got an email about an update on my admission status but it was just the admissions department following up on a question I had about orientation.

I didnt ask about a timeline but they mentioned to me in the email that all applications will be under review until the end of March and final admissions decisions will be communicated in early April - so I guess this means I can stop compulsively checking until then ?

i also had a mini heart attach.

Got the same email from the school. lets wait till first week of April then.

All the best to us all 

1 hour ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Thank you for the information! I can stop looking until then ?

On 3/26/2022 at 12:22 AM, whatthefriction said:

Got accepted this afternoon to the Policy & Management stream! ?

congrats ? 

i have a few questions .

1. has you status changed on your applicant portal? mine still @ prescreening ??

2. how was your references reviewed . mine still says submitted and this is making me nervous  

Wondering for those who are still under review/in pre-screening, when you click to view your application details if a GSMS ID number shows? I had one pop up the other day and I don't recall if it was there last week. Unsure if it is just wishful thinking on my end or if it is actually a change.

1 minute ago, TheTachyNurse said:

Wondering for those who are still under review/in pre-screening, when you click to view your application details if a GSMS ID number shows? I had one pop up the other day and I don't recall if it was there last week. Unsure if it is just wishful thinking on my end or if it is actually a change.

Yes, I’m under review and mine shows a number. I don’t recall when that showed up. But fingers crossed ?

I have a feeling Health Pro is going to be tomorrow! For no particular reason haha, just thought maybe they are releasing stuff every 2 days?

2 minutes ago, HealthPromo1 said:

Yes, I’m under review and mine shows a number. I don’t recall when that showed up. But fingers crossed ?

I have a feeling Health Pro is going to be tomorrow! For no particular reason haha, just thought maybe they are releasing stuff every 2 days?

Ive had that feeling last week, I really hope they start before friday.  I applied to Hpro in person and online and both my applications have the same GSMS #.

27 minutes ago, HealthPromo1 said:

22 minutes ago, schoolmph said:

Ive had that feeling last week, I really hope they start before friday.  I applied to Hpro in person and online and both my applications have the same GSMS #.

I have a feeling it will be tomorrow or Thursday as well! Fingers crossed. I know they have not started sending them out yet but I cannot help but to be anxious that it will be bad news.

1 minute ago, TheTachyNurse said:

I have a feeling it will be tomorrow or Thursday as well! Fingers crossed. I know they have not started sending them out yet but I cannot help but to be anxious that it will be bad news.

I feel that, preparing for the worst ! Im guessing by your user name you have a Bsn? Im sure youll do great